Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone, anyone, help me out here! backfire through intake on b20vtec

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone, anyone, help me out here! backfire through intake on b20vtec

I just finished putting in new ACL'S, a flywheel and returned the crank pulley to stock. Got the motor back in primed the oil system cranked on it for about 15 seconds and I hear POP which I am ASSUMING was a backfire and see white smoke from the intake. After checking everything over I cranked on it again but stopped as soon as I seen faint white smoke from the intake pipe. I never removed or loosened the dizzy or anything on the head during the work I did. I checked the crank pulley, the best I can tell is the exhaust cam MIGHT be retarded (it's pointing down at tdc) by 1 tooth at the MOST. I have JG cam gears and they are really hard to read with no mark since I have no inner timing belt cover (b20vtec). What could be the cause of this and does it sound like it backfired to you guys? Should I keep trying to start it??? Setup is in the link in my sig.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Someone, anyone, help me out here! backfire through intake on b20vtec (FrankensteinCRX)

If it IS a backfire, it's likely because of off cam timing or a stuck valve/burned valve seat. White smoke would involve coolant or water (provided it was white and not light blue, which would be gas) which wouldn't have anything to do with a valve seat or timing at all, so I'd question that one.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:24 AM

The intake pipe and filter do have a gas type smell to them. It (the intake) does not smell like coolant at all. I am wondering if it was just flooded but them again this still does not explain why it "backfired" from the intake. Can I adjust the cam gear to make up for the little bit the exhaust cam is off?
Old 04-06-2004, 12:38 PM

Default Re: (FrankensteinCRX)

It's me again. I'm trying to bypass this rediculous 5posts/24hr filter.

Anywho, if it's a timing issue, then you'd need to adjust the timing for the cam on the valves that are affected. In this case, it's the intake side.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:23 AM

Sure about that? If the exhaust cam is pointing towards the ground when the intake cam is straight across wouldn't that mean the exhaust cam is retarded? I can just adjust the cam gear to make up for this correct? Yes I have adjustable cam gears.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:42 AM

Default Re: (FrankensteinCRX)

Am I sure about that? Yes. The reason is that the backfire presumably came through the intake which means that the ignition detonated the fuel/air combo while one of the intake valves were still open which is what allowed the fireworks up through the intake manifold.