Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is this soldering right??? alternator wires

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 10:31 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this soldering right??? alternator wires

I took this picture today. Ive been having problems forever getting this car running. Ive blown a couple GSR ecu's, but not my CX ecu. Anyway, this didnt look right to me. Royal blue wire mated to a red/white wire. I did not do the wiring myself, so thats why Im question this. Car:93 civic cx engine: OBDI JDM GSR

The shot is obviously of the alternator plug, the other 3 wires are match color to color, but for some reason this didnt look right. If you need more info let me know.

Old 10-16-2003, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: is this soldering right??? alternator wires (TODAeg6)

I used an obd1 alternator in an obd2 car with an obd2.5 harness and had to wire it sort of like that. only two matched colors and the others we guessed at.

not sure why you would blow a GSR ecu and not the CX ecu..... bizarre.
you should find out where that blue wire goes to, or if it is even stock from any engine harness.

also is that electricall tape completely encasing the connection? is the wire peeking thru and grounding out on the alternator? get the wire away fromt he alternator especially a metal part like that!
Old 10-16-2003, 11:01 AM
Trial User

Default Re: is this soldering right??? alternator wires (owen_the_soyboy)

it was in loom I pulled it out. YES, it is in the engine harness it actually runs up through to the dizzy side.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:57 PM
Trial User

To the top for some much needed help.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM received -- PM sent..
Old 10-16-2003, 05:25 PM
Trial User

Default Re: is this soldering right??? alternator wires (poison)

PM sent.... Where are ya poison?
Old 10-16-2003, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you using the CX engine harness or the GSR engine harness?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TODAeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The shot is obviously of the alternator plug, the other 3 wires are match color to color, but for some reason this didnt look right. If you need more info let me know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's hard to tell by the pic but it doesn't look to me like only the BLK to BLK match color to color. I'm seeing a YEL to a WHT/GRN, a YEL/WHT to a WHT/BLU then the BLU to the WHT/RED. Correct me if I'm wrong.
If you know what harness you have and what OBD alternator that is (looks to be OBD2 or OBD2B) I could probably map out the wiring for you.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:04 PM
Trial User

Default Re: is this soldering right??? alternator wires (VTECVillain)

I am using the CUT Gsr harness

thats part of the problem.... as with the dizzy. We questioned its OBD also, but figured out the 1 plug= OBD1 and 2= OBD2. My motor is OBD1, the engine harness ( what was left of it when they cut it) would also be OBD1. As for the car harness its OBD1. Im assuming that the alt is OBD1, but I have heard that when production of engines in 95 were made that some parts such as the dizzy and Alt could be OBD2, but still rely on an OBD1 motor and ecu. So, as far as I know I have an OBD1 alt also. Is there a common difference that I could find out and let you know for sure??
Old 10-16-2003, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the engine harness is chopped up that bad, I would replace it with an uncut harness. Even if it's a nonVTEC engine harness (92-95 DX etc.), I would rather use an uncut one and add the necessary wiring than to go back over someone else's mistakes and mishaps.
I had to deal with this for a second gen B16A swap in a 93 DX hatch. The people that originally did the swap had the harness so butchered that literally almost every plug was wired differently or spliced to run other crap. For instance the idiots had an MSD switch to run the VTEC solenoid even though the motor was running off a OBD1 P72 GSR ECU. I just made him get another harness and treated it like a new swap and everything went much smoother.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:19 PM
Trial User

the JDM harness wasnt even cut that bad, granted they cut it, but everything was intact, Vtec, dizzy, etc. We retained the stock CX car harness and as you said spliced the wires in. Somehow somewhere there's a hot wire that shouldnt be and thats why Im burning up integra ecus. Obviously, somewhere theres a wire that retained its CX pinout and is not the same as on the p72 ecu.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:05 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (TODAeg6)

Morning Topper.... Im going to try and take some more pics and post them today.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looked at the pic again.

why is the black/blue wire on the alternator connector soldered to the all black wire on the harness?

is that the mess up?
it might need to be red/white-to-black and then black/blue-to-black.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:51 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (owen_the_soyboy)

I dont know either... I wanted someone to tell me if those wires were supposed to be connected or not. Im going to go take some more pics right now! Hopefully, I can find an answer from a different angle.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:29 AM
Trial User

Ok, here's what I came up with.
As for wire mating:
White/blue stripe -&gt; White/blue stripe
Black/yellow stripe -&gt; Black/yellow stripe
White/Green stripe -&gt; White/green stripe
White/red stripe -&gt; BLUE

I took these pics.... of the Alt, wiring into the Alt, Dizzy + wiring, Driver side car to engine plugs, plug for the alt, injector wires, basically everything that could be causing the blowing up problem.

Old 10-17-2003, 12:23 PM

damn that is one hacked up harness

that looks like an OBD2 harness that you used, but I could be wrong with how much it's been hacked up. You are using an OBD2 dizzy plug.

The dark blue wire is for the ICM RPM signal. I don't remember at all a blue wire going to the alternator.

that light blue wire pictured above is for the CKP in the distributor.

I would highly recommend what VTECVillain has suggested and get an uncut engine harness to start from scratch -- rather than having a mess and constantly burning ECU`s.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:30 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (poison)

yeah, that seems like my only option. Can I use a USDM Gsr harness on that motor? or will it be *** backwards too?
Old 10-17-2003, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TODAeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can I use a USDM Gsr harness on that motor? or will it be *** backwards too?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is exactly the harness you should use if you decide to get another one, which I would . I know you said that the motor is OBD1, but it looks like you have the OBD2 distributor and alternator. I would pick up a 96-99 OBD2 Integra GSR harness which will be plug and play with your chassis plugs and the motor accessories, that way you don't have to splice and cut it either. Then you will only need to wire on the cabin side, the VTEC solenoid, pressure switch, knock sensor and IAB.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:39 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (VTECVillain)

ok, but does that plug into the car??? I dont think it does.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:41 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TODAeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, but does that plug into the car??? I dont think it does.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, an uncut US OBD2 GSR engine harness WILL plug into your EG shock tower harness.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:45 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (poison)

ahhh see now Im in business... I thought there was no way that the OBD1 car harness would plug, but then come to think of it I already did that.... Hmmmm
Old 10-17-2003, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TODAeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, but does that plug into the car??? I dont think it does.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it plugs into the chassis harness at the shock towers and the wiring matches up. I have a USDM 99 B18C1 swap in my 92 VX and I'm using the 99 GSR engine harness which plugs right into the shock tower plugs in any 92-95 Civic. I wouldn't tell you to use something if it doesn't work.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:49 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (VTECVillain)

Im sorry man.... I trust your judgement. Ive just had such a hell of a time with this motor. I just want things to be done right this time. I have a hard time realizing that I already plug OBD1 to OBD2. Since, its such a no no everywhere else, i thought it was the same in car harness-engine harness mating.

Where are you located in WV??? your help would be appreciated $$$$
Old 10-17-2003, 12:52 PM
Trial User

OK, here lies to other hassle. I have (2) OBD2 GSR ecus. shitty huh?? Looks like Im still stuck wanting to get an OBD1 ecu. It would be a waste to run 2 anyways.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TODAeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK, here lies to other hassle. I have (2) OBD2 GSR ecus. shitty huh?? Looks like Im still stuck wanting to get an OBD1 ecu. It would be a waste to run 2 anyways.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, sounds like the end of your problems is a US obd2 gsr engine harness, and an OBD1 P72 ECU
Old 10-17-2003, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want to do it right once and for all, I would suggest the OBD1 P72 ECU and an OBD2 Integra engine harness. A GSR would be best but even an LS would work since you could salvage the needed plugs from your old harness. BTW, I'm about 1 1/2 hours south of Pittsburgh near Morgantown/Fairmont WV.

Quick Reply: is this soldering right??? alternator wires