Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smog legal swaps...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smog legal swaps...

Just curious how many people have done smog legal swaps in their cars. Did you have a shop do it, what motor into what chassis, and how much did it cost you?

I am starting to think about what to do with my car if the motor ever dies.

Thanks
Matt
Old 03-23-2004, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Smog legal swaps... (4doorex)

h22a into 93 accord, going to the ref on thursday, itll be legal assuming i pass the smog test
Old 03-24-2004, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Smog legal swaps... (twistedbydezign)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by twistedbydezign &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">h22a into 93 accord, going to the ref on thursday, itll be legal assuming i pass the smog test</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good luck! Did you do the swap yourself?

Matt
Old 03-24-2004, 11:48 PM

no, a regular mechanic shop owed me $500 so they did it for $500 and covered the cost of hoses and sensors and whatever was needed cept for the power steering hose and wire harness
Old 03-25-2004, 08:27 AM
New User

had a shop do my swap 3 years ago. put a 97 motor in my 94 hatch. they used a 94 ecu though. I had to convert everything to obd1, intake manifold, throttle body(so i could hook up the evap purge and canister, obd1 and 2 hook up different and the ref knew it!) After i did all that i failed the first time, replaced the cat and my fouled o2 and then passed the next time. I passed it as a 94. As long as the swap is done right in the first place and is the same year or newer as your car and has the the right obd equipment hooked up you will pass. The CRV will not pass and i think the civic type r as well. If you have a jdm motor then just make it exactly the same as the US counterpart and you will pass.

Another easy thing to do is get the number of oyur local ref station and go talk to them about it. the one i took mine too was very cool about it and was more than happy to provide me with information on what is legal and how to make it legal.
HTH
Old 03-25-2004, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Smog legal swaps... (94cxhybrid-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94cxhybrid-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

had a shop do my swap 3 years ago. put a 97 motor in my 94 hatch. they used a 94 ecu though. I had to convert everything to obd1, intake manifold, throttle body(so i could hook up the evap purge and canister, obd1 and 2 hook up different and the ref knew it!) After i did all that i failed the first time, replaced the cat and my fouled o2 and then passed the next time. I passed it as a 94. As long as the swap is done right in the first place and is the same year or newer as your car and has the the right obd equipment hooked up you will pass. The CRV will not pass and i think the civic type r as well. If you have a jdm motor then just make it exactly the same as the US counterpart and you will pass.

Another easy thing to do is get the number of oyur local ref station and go talk to them about it. the one i took mine too was very cool about it and was more than happy to provide me with information on what is legal and how to make it legal.
HTH
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good info... So your swap is legal, but your revhard turbo kit is not!
Old 03-25-2004, 02:56 PM
New User

Default Re: Smog legal swaps... (TurboChrgd_Civic)

exactly. only way around that is to find someone to pay or take it of. I took mine off. PITA but whatever, now i got two years.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:52 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a B18A LS motor in my CRX back in 1997, got it smogged with the state smog ref in early 98 and got the sticker.... did the LS/VTEC conv a few weeks later and was the only (at the time) "smog legal" LS/VTEC car around . The main things to do.... clean out your TB very well with all of the soot and crap in there, make sure you have no CELs, make sure your swap looks clean (no wires hanging out, all vacuum lines & ports capped or connected to something, pressure in the fuel lines and no leaks, correct ignition timing, and make sure it passes the sniffer test.... keep the cat very warm when you show up because for the most part, they only run the car for maybe a couple of minutes for the sniffer test and then have it off the rest of the time. There are other tips and such but that's what I can think of off the top of my head. Really not that difficult to get a BAR sticker.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:15 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Smog legal swaps... (Newman)

if your in it for racing and speed. you should never let something like smog get in your way.