Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smog Legal + Bar Sticker in Cali for Hybrids!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smog Legal + Bar Sticker in Cali for Hybrids!

ok i have an eg6 si swapped with ls/vtec with b18a1 from 90 integ plus GSR head obd1 and gsr tranny plus bunch of mods which are kept secret for now...., now i'm going to have to smog it, and i don't really know much about how the bar sticker goes plus smog test, but i'll tell you what i know and i want some opinions of what i should do.

first, i know that in cali, if you want to smog your hybrid car you need a newer year or same year engine , and go to a ref, then after getting the bar sticker you can get a smog test, with ease you would pass, seeing that Honda motors are so superior to all other motors ...

now i have a few options i should do, here are them and i would like to know your opinions of what i should do or what i need to do. thanks in advance :

1) i can swap back my d16. the problem is it's in a friend's car, and i really don't want to put my frank in his car. plus i would need sohc mounts, axles, stock ecu, plus some unnecessary but ''required'' parts later like new header since my old single screamer has an aftermarket header, and i don't know where my stock one is at ...

2) i could get a gsr short block. the problem is GSR short block are expensive, need to go through bar sticker, i'll need ob1 gsr ecu, and probably it's harness, don't quite know, plus the other parts i might need??? i also need to go to machine shop and turn it back to a GSR head that fits a GSR block, ... to pass the bar sticker

3) i could get a ls long block. these long block should be cheap, plus bar sticker, plus ob1 ls ecu, and ls harness, and the other necessary parts? and do i need the tranny to match the block? or they don't look at it?

4) i heard that ppl could pass smog with JDM engines except the b20 because it's a crv/truck engine, someone here pass with a jdm gsr....since i have a b16a1 spare engine, could i possibily use that? i think we need del sol parts? head? ecu? what exactly do you need? anyone knows?

5) another choice, i could get an LS ob1 head. i prefer this choice since it cost less i think, and i'll need ls harness plus ls ecu, that should do it to pass for the bar sticker... i know i have an older model short block, but i heard it's the head that matters, you need a newer year model head! i might would want to trade my gsr head for ls one with extra cash however, gsr heads aren't cheap or easy to get!

6) last choice, if i'm really deseperate trade someone from a nonsmog test area for a stock midnight blue not quite sure what color it is called but it's that stock engine DX model color i believe or a white stock si for my Si red 92 with frank, and all it's goodies....that's if i'm really deseperate, or i could just keep this eg6 and buy one of honda-tech cheaply priced FS hatch. but this is out of deseperation, i highly doubt i'll do that...

now with all these options, can someone please offer any info, opinions, or whatever to smog my car...i tried the "other way" seems like no one does it anymore, and there's a newer way, but it seem too risky to do.. and yea cali sucks only because of THIS reason, and of course sd cop sucks because of THIS reason too. Don't you just love getting fix it tickets? how can no license plate in the front cause some catastrophic accidents? what's the chance of police writing up ur license plate chasing you from the front?!! BS i tell you!! smog is BS!! CARB is BS! any nonCARB aftermarket could pass the emission test as well!! also don't tell me to search i have, and i've read, now please some info ...anyways.... thanks for reading and for replies!
Old 09-23-2003, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Smog Legal + Bar Sticker in Cali for Hybrids! (eg6infinite)

I just got back from the smog ref and I failed for hc at idle. They didn't even check the ecu and could have cared less if the motor was USDM or JDM. All they looked at for the visual was the cat, the eo number for the intake, and checked the timing.

Edit: the funny thing is that I was initially told that I HAD to get a USDM ecu if I wanted my car to pass the visual. They were soooooo adamant about it....

Modified by Judah at 5:52 PM 9/23/2003
Old 09-23-2003, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Smog Legal + Bar Sticker in Cali for Hybrids! (Judah)

thanks for the reply and the info! sorry you failed! but when are you going back next time? good luck! so what option should i choose?
Old 09-23-2003, 05:06 PM

You probably won't pass with a motor older than your car. That is one thing they absolutely checked when I was there. I think your best bet is to buy a cheap-*** usdm LS motor and smog it with that. That way your smog/CARB sticker says "Acura 1.8L" instead of "Honda 1.6L".
Old 09-24-2003, 06:35 AM

What do you think about the idea of just getting the ob1 b18b head, since the year of a motor is given on the head and not the block, right?
Old 09-24-2003, 12:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6infinite &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What do you think about the idea of just getting the ob1 b18b head, since the year of a motor is given on the head and not the block, right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good luck with that when they run the VIN number on the block....
Old 09-25-2003, 02:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Judah &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Good luck with that when they run the VIN number on the block....</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm going to try the ls head method, i'll post what happens, once i've put the head and go to the ref...if it doesn't work, i'll just get the block later... thanks judah for replying, anyways, did you try to get ur bar sticker again yet? what motor are you trying to pass with?
Old 09-25-2003, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

older motor+newer car= screwed if attempting BAR
Old 09-25-2003, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Smog Legal + Bar Sticker in Cali for Hybrids! (b20_EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b20_EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">older motor+newer car= screwed if attempting BAR </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah that's true, but i'm going to try to do it at least, it's not worth buying a b18b when i could get just the head, much less hassel than taking the motor out, and reassemble the tranny to the b18b long block. Also, i've talked to my mechanic , he said he has talked to a ref, and he said the ref said b18a and b18b are the same motor, so i know i have a high chance of failure, but doesn't hurt that much to try. If anyone has tried this and fail, please reply here to save me from trying this! thanks for all the replies! and i'll keep everything posted, if anyone is going through this as well....
Old 09-26-2003, 06:54 AM

instead of trying and wasting 30 bucks for the test you should just go there and ask them....

its not like they dont want you to pass...
Old 09-26-2003, 07:42 AM

Default Re: Smog Legal + Bar Sticker in Cali for Hybrids! (degooser)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by degooser &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">instead of trying and wasting 30 bucks for the test you should just go there and ask them....

its not like they dont want you to pass...</TD></TR></TABLE>

good idea i'll see what's up...
Old 09-26-2003, 08:00 AM

i went to the southwestern college ref station...in chula vista...talk to those guys they are pretty cool...
Old 09-26-2003, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Smog Legal + Bar Sticker in Cali for Hybrids! (b20_EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b20_EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">older motor+newer car= screwed if attempting BAR </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not true. Certain circumstances that most people don't know about, oviously, allow an older motor to be swapped into the car and it CAN be legal. I have a 92 GSR motor in my 93 hatch and have been to the ref twice. He knows for SURE its a 92, even told me. Said its fine as well. Has listed it on the papers as a "93 Integra" motor. Said that because the B17 was made in 92 and 93 and is identical in both years, its a legal swap. Good info that people should know.

And whatever you do, don't try to smog the LS/Vtec.. That won't go over very well.