Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

silly auto to manual question (searched and read a TON)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silly auto to manual question (searched and read a TON)

I'm going to be putting a B18C1 with hydro tranny in my '95 DX auto coupe. I've read tons of crap about the clutch interlock, reverse lights, key removal, and so on. The only thing I'm not sure of, is after I put the shift linkage in, will I need some kind of guide for the shifter? This might be a silly question, but shouldn't I have some kind of guide in place for the shifter? I haven't been able to find ANYTHING about this in the auto to manual conversions write ups that are all over the place on HT, but I can't imagine not needing one. This is my first swap, so I don't know a whole lot of stuff to expect.

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2005, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: silly auto to manual question (consolidatedbord)

You need part of the floor from a manual trans car to do this swap cleanly..
Old 01-26-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Re: silly auto to manual question (locash)

I haven't seen this on any other website or post on HT, do you have a link, or some pictures or any specifics?
Old 01-27-2005, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: silly auto to manual question (consolidatedbord)

what do you mean "guide"?

The 5 speed shifter assembly should take care of what you need.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:45 PM

if u have the linkage all u need to do is drill the two holes for the linkage to bolt up, the car has the two spots u just need to drill and use a bolt and nut
Old 01-28-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: (oneslodx)

Basicaly what people are trying to tell you is that the automantic civics dont have the hole for the manual shift lever to go up in the car. You can go to a junk yard and cut one off another car or you can do like i did, and make a plate with a hole big enough to fit the shift lever through. There is no adjusting, just bolt up the shift linkage to the tranny and lift it up to the body and where it hits, thats where you have to make the hole for it to go through.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: silly auto to manual question (SearchBeforeUPost!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SearchBeforeUPost! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what do you mean "guide"?

The 5 speed shifter assembly should take care of what you need.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Never done an auto -&gt; manual before, and never seen under the center console for a 5speed before. Wasn't sure if there was some sort of plastic sheet or something to keep you from slipping into 5th instead of 3rd or something like that. Whenever I drive my grandpa
s miata or drove my old mr2 the shifter felt like it went cleanly into each gear as if there was some kind of a 'guide' to keep you from slipping around too much. Never driven a 5speed honda before, so that's why I wasn't sure.

That's why I put "Silly" in the title, cuz to most of you it probably is a dumb *** question.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: (ek99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Basicaly what people are trying to tell you is that the automantic civics dont have the hole for the manual shift lever to go up in the car. You can go to a junk yard and cut one off another car or you can do like i did, and make a plate with a hole big enough to fit the shift lever through. There is no adjusting, just bolt up the shift linkage to the tranny and lift it up to the body and where it hits, thats where you have to make the hole for it to go through.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I knew there would be a bit of cutting. Wasn't sure if there was anything else.

Thanks everyone.