Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy- h22 del sol?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 11:40 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy- h22 del sol?

Hey guys,

Let me start off by saying I'm new here. I'm a grease monkey, but no experience with imports. I have a 600hp '78 Camaro, opposite of a "Honda guy". My parents have always had Japanese cars and they've always treated them well, so I figured recently, when my current daily driver s*** the bed, I'd give them a try.

I need something reliable, that I can drive daily. I drive over an hour to work every day. And I want a convertible. Naturally, the Del Sol is a great option. I actually looked at one about 2 years ago, which was a steal, heavily modded track spec d16 nitrous swap (for $2k) and I fell in love. Long story short, the deal fell through, I moved on and continued with my current daily. Now I need a replacement. I have to drive from NYC to Tampa FL for Christmas, and I need a car that will get me there without incidents. And, I have an itch to get a Del Sol.

I found a $1500 Del Sol H22 Swap, 130k miles. Not very many details on it except it has no pwr steering or heat (easy fixes in my experience). It was my understanding that an h22 is out of a prelude and is pretty powerful, and everything I've read says its a great swap. So...why so cheap? Most regular Del Sols in my area (Northeast) fetch 2500+ in the worst of condition. Yet the guy says its turn key ready to go? What's the catch? I'm not a huge fan of modded out cars either (this one has rims, spoiler, and body kit- I'm questioning the job done on the swap).

In conclusion, I guess I am asking the following:
What is the reliability of the h22? Is it a good motor that will get me from A to B?
What should I look for to see if this swap was butchered?
What should I look for when looking at this del sol before buying (body wise, suspension, etc)?

Thanks in advance for your help guys