Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifter pops out of 5th gear...help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default shifter pops out of 5th gear...help.

About a month ago i took my car, 92 cx w/ gsr swap, to a local shop that does swaps to finish it up. basically they double checked all of my wiring, wired up the Knock sensor, and the o2 sensor, and installed some shift linkage. I expected to drive away from there with my car completely finished, but nothing ever works that good. When they installed the shift linkage they didn't ask me for the bitch pin, they just put a nut and bolt thru it, and i havent' looked since they finished it, but i seem to remember some shavings around so they might have drilled the hole out making it impossible to use the pin again. I've heard the pin is pretty impt since it provides necessary tension that a bolt cant provide. After a few days of driving my car 5th gear won't stay engaged, and all of the gears feel sloppy, i can move the shiter left and right about an inch when it's in gear.....i'm pretty pissed....and code 23 is the bane of my existance.

sorry for the novel i need a
Old 07-21-2003, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check your transmission fluid level.

and it's that f-in pin. get it out and replace it with a OEM Bitch pin. But if the hole or whatever has been drilled out, then you have to get new linkage, i would suppose

Modified by sivik2nr at 5:46 PM 7/21/2003
Old 07-22-2003, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sivik2nr)

hmmm....good call...i never checked that they probably drain that huh (before shipping)??....i'm gonna add some immediately...i want to get that pin in there regardless since it has such a sloppy feel
Old 07-23-2003, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thehatchninja)

waiting on it to cool down right now....i don't have any Honda MTF....i think i'm gonna use 2 qts of Mobil 1 10w30, and use some Mobil 1 gear oil to top it off....whaddya think?
Old 07-23-2003, 11:16 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thehatchninja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">waiting on it to cool down right now....i don't have any Honda MTF....i think i'm gonna use 2 qts of Mobil 1 10w30, and use some Mobil 1 gear oil to top it off....whaddya think?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, that should be fine, I guess I would just drain it all out and replace it fresh. I had a bolt in there for a while and it was kinda sloppy. Plus after a little while, on the freeway, my shifter would pop outta 5th, and it couldn't keep it in there. I wasn't far from a honda dealer so I stopped in and asked what it could be.

They said that they get that kinda thing often and more often than not, its because of low trannie fluid level. 5th gear is the highest in the trannie, so a low level could be causing it to pop out. Definately check that.

Also , that bolt that I was using, for the linkage, came out what day while driving ON THE FREEWAY AGAIN.... so at 65 mph my linkage is dragging underneath the car. Any way I ordered the pin from the dealer and it was drasticaly different. WAY tighter and shorter shift pattern.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sivik2nr)

thanks...i just changed the tranny fluid, there was hardly any in there, i haven't taken it for a spin yet cause i'm cleaning my injectors by blowing carb cleaner thru them, hopefully this will solve my skipping....probly not tho...well later....thanks for the help too.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good news.....the pin went back in no problem, and the shifter feels a lot better, still haven't driven it yet tho...gotta adjust the throttle cable.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:07 PM

Another cause for it popping out of gear could be a worn shift fork. I had that problem with my GSR swap, it always popped out of second. I took the tranny apart and replaced the shift fork and it worked perfect ever since.