Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaking crank pulley??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaking crank pulley??

I have a 99 b18c1 in my 93 dx. The swap has about 39,000 miles on it. I'm not running PS or AC. It seems my crank pully moves slightly (side to side) when at idle. It looks like it wobbles(sp.?) maybe 1 or 2mm. It looks like its out of balance. The engine runs smooth and strong. No weird noises at all. It is not loose. I have tried two different pulleys and they look the same. The bolt is fine (not stripped, Etc.) and was put back on with an air gun. Also, only mods are intake, cam gears, exhaust, high flow cat, and motor mount inserts. Thanks for any help!!
Old 04-23-2003, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shaking crank pulley?? (jmm96gsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jmm96gsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The bolt is fine (not stripped, Etc.) and was put back on with an air gun. </TD></TR></TABLE>

There's your problem. NEVER use an impact to tighten the crank bolt. You could have stripped the bolt w/o even knowing it. Use a torque wrench and torque it down to spec properly.

Old 04-23-2003, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shaking crank pulley?? (98CTRCoupe)

hmmm...i just checked the bolt today...its not stripped. also, the movement of the pulley was like before it was EVER taken off. So what your saying is honda stripped the crank pulley bolt from the factory??
Old 04-23-2003, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, it could be a number of things then. I don't know about the B18's, but there are many incidents on H22's where the crank pulley fell off! And some of these guys are still stock too.

Maybe it's just a slight reflection when the pulley rotates with the belt?...I dunno... Maybe the pulley was damaged during the swap? Hard to tell without actually seeing it myself...
Old 04-23-2003, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shaking crank pulley?? (98CTRCoupe)

Well right now i have the second pulley on. I think i'm going to check around to see about having the outside parts( PS and AC) taken off and then have it balanced or maybe get a CTR N1 crank pulley. Thanks anyway.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:14 PM

Hey,

Any new news on this? I'm having the same problem, except my wobbling seems to be more severe than 2 mm.......

I just had a head gasket replaced a few months ago, and I also got a new clutch and a few other things, but these wouldn't require removal or adjustment of the crank pulley, right?

I'm trying to figure out what to do about this. I don't want to go out and buy a new OEM/ lightweight crank pulley without knowing it is the culprit.

Also, what is the difference between crank pulley and harmonic dampener? I know what a harmonic dampener does, and I don't want to change that from OEM, due to engine longevity issues I've heard about. Thanks in advanced for your help!!!

-Nick
Old 05-04-2003, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shaking crank pulley?? (Nikolai)

sorry Nick, I haven't heard anything else about it. I have talked to some people that have seen other crank pulleys do it but they dont know why. I've heard the negitives about using aftermarket crank pulleys, but at the same time I've heard of people using them or the CTR N1 crank pulley and having no problems. Sorry I cant help you out.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:07 PM

Ok....I'm bringing this back from the dead. I'm having the same problem. Anyone ever fix this issue? I also have a 99 b18c1 with a wobbly crank pulley. This problem was existent already but was magnified 10x when the turbo kit went in. Oil is leaking out the seal now.

TIA