Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Trip to Osaka! Looking for some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Trip to Osaka! Looking for some advice.

Im heading to osaka tommorow morning 6:00 am and should get to Montreal at about 6:00 pm. I'll be heading into osaka at about 10:00 am saturday to get my JDM GSR swap. I have a choice of about 30 swaps im guessing from the numbers they have given me so I'm left with some choices. I have a pretty good idea of what I am looking for when I check out the engines, but I know that I havent checked a lot of them out and I will miss things to look at and check when Im looking.

What did you guys wish you would have checked out on your engines and didn't, or some things that you did check out and are glad you did?

I've got a basic idea of what im looking for as far as plugs, exhaust, gaskets, case finish and such, and I'm pretty sure of sensor looks and all locations to check them out, but I know that there will be a lot more to looking at it and what all of you put as prioraties when you saw it and determined if you were satisfied or dissatisfied with your engine.

Thanks,

Matt

Oh, and I'll give you guys my impressions & pics as soon as I am back on saturday night.
Old 11-07-2002, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Road Trip to Osaka! Looking for some advice. (UTCiv)

Yo man I went to Osaka this summer and they did a shitty job on my car , the engine that I picked was the oposite when I got my car back 1 month later that should of taken 5 days they said 100%. I wouldn't recomend that place there fuckn sneaky bastards. later
Old 11-07-2002, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Road Trip to Osaka! Looking for some advice. (get wet racing)

well, im going to be picking the engine out myself and taking it home with me the same day, and installing it myself at a later date. If the engines there aren't what I expect quality wise, I'll just leave. The road trip will be well worth it to me anyways.

when you picked out the engine, did they have good selection, and the one you picked (thought was going in your car) did it look nice, have nothing broken, low milage?

[Modified by UTCiv, 9:53 PM 11/7/2002]
Old 11-07-2002, 06:11 PM

Well, this is a bump and a modification, we are leaving in about 1.5-2 hrs to drive to montreal. Woo-hoo im excited!
Old 11-07-2002, 08:23 PM

Yo man I went to Osaka this summer and they did a shitty job on my car , the engine that I picked was the oposite when I got my car back 1 month later that should of taken 5 days they said 100%. I wouldn't recomend that place there fuckn sneaky bastards. later
ALL YOU DO IS BADMOUTH OSAKA IN ALL YOUR POSTS.
Old 11-08-2002, 11:53 AM
New User

Well. Asside from obvious damage to sensors check to see that all the various orifices are properly capped/plugged. I.e. the throttle body, axle mounts, coolant hoses, etc. If the engine looks like crap, chances are it is crap.

once you have selected your best choices based on a visual inspection, pull the valve cover off and look at the valve train. It shouldn't have any staining or varnish. If it does its a sign that the engine didn't get regular oil changes.

Pull the plugs and check the tips for any pitting or erosion that would be a sign of detonation.

If you want to get real hard core you can bring a compression tester, a car battery and a set of jumper cables to turn the engine over and check the compression. A JDM GSR should be like 220. Hold the pressure in there for like 30 seconds also to check leak down.

Thats about as thorough as you can get short of really looking at the internals.

Mike
Old 11-08-2002, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

5 posts, and all are negative posts towrds Osaka. Must have a gruge or something...might even be a competitor shop.

You're the ONLY guy that has anything negative to say about them. Everyone else was extremely happy with their motors from them. Hmmm...guess who's everyone going to listen to?
Old 11-08-2002, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Road Trip to Osaka! Looking for some advice. (Prelude_RCR)

Yo let me know how it goes i'm planning to go with my friend to get b16a1 swap for his crx hf bump

[Modified by Cx Sir II, 5:04 PM 11/8/2002]

[Modified by Cx Sir II, 5:05 PM 11/8/2002]
Old 11-08-2002, 01:08 PM

This doesn't even coincide with your gripes in other posts. Give it a break whoever you are, alot of people haven't had any problems so no one is beleivin your stupid **** anyways...
Old 11-10-2002, 03:33 AM

Default Re: Road Trip to Osaka! Looking for some advice. (Prod)

I would have to say UTCIV is the most honest person i have ever met.......he came up this weekend and he wanted to pay with credit card, but we can't do credit card yet, we have the machine etc but still having problems, anyways we did not want him to go home empty handed... 10 hour drive home for him so me and him drove everywhere looking for a internet cafe, after about an hour of searching I just gave up,.... I told him if he can promise to pay us by paypal when he got home he could just leave now cause it was already 1:00 Pm, now we are not talking about 100 or 200$ he took a GSR home with him,...... and you know what, he did pay when he got home, as late as it must of been when he got home, he did pay that night.... Great guy and very honest, I would tell anyone to buy from this guy. He's the real deal.
Old 11-10-2002, 06:03 AM

Default Re: Road Trip to Osaka! Looking for some advice. (Osakamotor)

Thanks, you were one cool dude yourself. It was a fun trip up there and you guys have a great place.

For everyone else, I'll have some pictures of my engine, and some more detailed information to anyone who wants to deal with osaka.
Old 11-10-2002, 06:43 AM
Please don't hurt me!

how did all the motors look?
Old 11-10-2002, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Road Trip to Osaka! Looking for some advice. (couter)

Most were very clean, some looked incomplete, had some things missing, and some were dirty, but they were not hesitant at all to get the whole package complete before you left.

My engine had broken fingers on the oil cap and needed a new distributor. They just took a nice aluminum oil cap off of a show engine, and took the distributor off of a b16-r show engine and helped me check it over to make sure it was complete.

[Modified by UTCiv, 11:53 AM 11/10/2002]
Old 11-10-2002, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyways we did not want him to go home empty handed... 10 hour drive home for him so me and him drove everywhere looking for a internet cafe, after about an hour of searching I just gave up,.... I told him if he can promise to pay us by paypal when he got home..

now we are not talking about 100 or 200$ he took a GSR home with him
Whoa! Talk about TRUST! Definitely the guys to go to...
Old 11-10-2002, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Road Trip to Osaka! Looking for some advice. (Prelude_RCR)

Sounds like an awesome place to deal with. don't you guys have a warehouse somewhere in North Carolina as well?
Old 11-10-2002, 12:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You better have hit up Club SuperSexe while you were up there!
Old 11-10-2002, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Road Trip to Osaka! Looking for some advice. (EF9_SiR)

nope only Montreal Quebec.... yup home of club super sex !!
Old 11-10-2002, 01:28 PM
Trial User

Osaka,

Say i buy an engine from you guys and it's missing parts, sensors, somthing is broke, ect..... What do you do when that happends? Do you send the parts needed if so would it cost me shipping to get the parts?

We stand behind our products!

All our JDM Engines are tested before removal from their donor vehicle, and they come with a 60 day warranty against major defect from time of purchase. All JDM Engines are sold for off-road use only, and are not legal for use on public highways.

Shipping & Freight

Prices do not included shipping and handling. Some items listed are not legal for use on public highways. Please check with local authorities before placing your order. All engines are removed from running vehicles, and are guaranteed for 60 days against internal damage unless otherwise specified on the bill of sale. This guarantee covers only internal engine components, and does NOT include external accessories including but not limited to electrical components, sensors, alternators, pumps, pulleys, belts, wiring, mounts, distributor components, gaskets, or any plastic trim pieces. Special order engines come AS-IS and come with no warranty expressed or implied. In the case of internal damage, Osaka will replace or repair at our option, any part found to be the cause of the internal damage. Any Labour for installation or removal of any defective part is not included in this warranty. It is the customer's responsibility for all freight charges for return on defective items, and no replacement parts will be sent until our staff have inspected and verified the returned defective item in question. Any engine or parts that are found to have been overheated or show any signs of damage due to improper or unqualified installation procedures, or signs of the us of aftermarket forced induction systems or Nitrous Oxide will not be covered by this warranty. Transmissions, whether sold with engine or separately, are sold "as-is" with no warranty expressed or implied.

After reading this i get the feeling i would be out of luck especialy if you guys sent me a bad tranny.......
Old 11-10-2002, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Road Trip to Osaka! Looking for some advice. (mantic6t9)

if the parts come to you broken then for sure we pay for shipping and as for the tranny going bad, thank goodness we have never really had any big probs with a big item like that.
Old 11-10-2002, 02:26 PM

kinda of OT:

Osaka, what the price for your B18B long block with a b16 or GSR tranny? and can you get the USDM version?
Old 11-10-2002, 04:06 PM

Osakamotor,
I am looking into getting a H22a for my Accord and thought of driving up to pick out an engine from you but my problem is I can find your address on mapquest.com
Osaka JDM Motors
8155-8165 boul. Longelier
St-Leonard, Quebec, CANADA
H1P 2B7

It says it cant find the town but can find the postal code. Can you give me some help here so I can find your shop. Also, in a post somewhere you said if someone picks up the motor then obviously they wont have to pay shipping, but what about the $100 customs tax you mentioned.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 11-10-2002, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Road Trip to Osaka! Looking for some advice. (vwluv10338)

yo get wet racing is right it does suck and i also went their and i totally messed up my intreior they riped my seat and all the wiering was all messed up. when i got back a couple day later i did an compresion check and two of the cylindars were really low

[Modified by phatrabbit, 1:30 AM 11/11/2002]
Old 11-10-2002, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Road Trip to Osaka! Looking for some advice. (vwluv10338)

8155-8165 boul. Longelier

should be 8155-8165 boul. <U>Langelier </U>
Old 11-10-2002, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Road Trip to Osaka! Looking for some advice. (phatrabbit)

what is with all these new user's all of a sudden coming out and just putting us down... if you are another shop just come out and say it... stop booting around the bush. I never said we were perfect or that every thing goes smooth, but it sure does look fishy, new person on honda-tech and first thing you do is come put us down, just like that other person did??? or you are the same person just tryin to stick up for your other threads either way I really don't care but all we are tryin to do is offer a great product at a great price to the general public why should they have to pay 300-500$ more from other companies with middle men that just keep raising the price, we offer the product with no middle men and have a very large stock..... so if you have something to say who ever you are... I think you need to get over it cause to me, and I think others will say the same thing is that you are the same person as get wet racing or you got one of your friends to come back you up, cause you were really starting to look stupid.

P.S sorry to all the ppl that read this.... Osaka Motors is a company we try our best to make the customer happy but for sure we cant please every single person, as much as we try its just not possible......once again sorry to all the other ppl that read this.

[Modified by Osakamotor, 1:50 AM 11/11/2002]
Old 11-10-2002, 04:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. I pulled that address off your website, might need an update.

Thanks again,
Eric

Quick Reply: Road Trip to Osaka! Looking for some advice.