Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

resistor box install for dummies w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default resistor box install for dummies w/pics

well when i was first researching how to do the resistor box install for my h22 swap i just could not find an easy write up that i understood easily. so once i finally understood what was needed to get the job done and how easy it actually is i decided to do a write up. no stupid diagrams drawn in paint and half assed explanations. just easy to follow pics and a quick description.

first you will need a volt/ohm meter and set it to continuity. the arrow on the dial is pointed to where it needs to be on my model volt/ohm meter.
Name:  resistorboxinstall001.jpg
Views: 9522
Size:  34.7 KB
Name:  resistorboxinstall002.jpg
Views: 9281
Size:  23.0 KB
next you will have to locate this group of connectors and identify the one with plug. located on the driver side shock tower.
Name:  resistorboxinstall003.jpg
Views: 10016
Size:  30.6 KB
remove the plug, push in the button on the side and use a screw driver to pry the plug out.
Name:  resistorboxinstall004.jpg
Views: 10368
Size:  29.3 KB
take your awesome drawing skills and make a sketch of the connector.
Name:  resistorboxinstall007.jpg
Views: 9344
Size:  12.5 KB
now unplug your injector connectors. go back to the plug with the block off plate and take note of what color wires are there. mine where all yellow. look for that color wire on the injector pigtail and insert 1 probe lead into that side of the connector.
Name:  resistorboxinstall005.jpg
Views: 9642
Size:  29.7 KB
now take your other lead and start probing the plug that had the block off.
Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 9549
Size:  237.7 KB
once your volt/ohm meter makes an audible sound(like mine) or lights up like some, mark that pin on your sketch that you drew with your mad art skillz.
once you have identified those 4 wires that go to your injectors, cut and strip them.
Name:  resistorboxinstall010.jpg
Views: 10575
Size:  29.2 KB
Name:  1.png
Views: 10621
Size:  284.7 KB
now get your resistor box
Name:  resistorboxinstall008.jpg
Views: 9997
Size:  30.0 KB
i was lucky enough to have both connectors to mine so i decided to make mine removable. here you see just the one side of the plug.
Name:  resistorboxinstall009.jpg
Views: 9489
Size:  27.4 KB
you can hard wire just the box in if you like.
cut and strip the 4 red wires and the one yellow wire to what ever length you want(dependent upon where you want to place it).
take the yellow wire from the resistor box connector and the 4 yellow wires on the plug side of the harness connector and twist them together and solder.
Name:  resistorboxinstall012.jpg
Views: 13078
Size:  31.2 KB
seen in the lower right of this picture.
Name:  resistorboxinstall013.jpg
Views: 10512
Size:  35.8 KB
now take the remaining red wires from the resistor box and solder them individually to each remaining yellow wire on the harness. dont forget to add your heat shrink to the wire BEFORE you solder. also the order does not matter as far as which red wire goes to which yellow wire.
Name:  resistorboxinstall014.jpg
Views: 11744
Size:  39.6 KB

now just take electrical tape and make it all pretty and dont forget to reinstall the plug on the harness connector.
you are now done and your resistor box is installed.
adam jeffery

Last edited by farfrumugen; 02-21-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:32 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: resistor box install for dummies w/pics

From an electrical dummy I'll have to say sticky this one! One thing to add, you should show the pic of the drawing you made of the plug AFTER you mapped each wire. Maybe even label/mark the wires at the plug so you can uninstall the box and return it to a stock condition later.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i must have forgotten a couple pics and will update this thread in a day or 2 when i have time to take a couple more. i didnt take a pic of the finished job either...bummer. well at least the harness is here at the house to take more pics of it...lol
adam jeffery
Old 02-21-2012, 07:18 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

You can use an old plug cut off an old distributor or A/C harness to make this whole thing plug and play (plugs in where that cap is) I made up a harness like this for someone one time.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my question is, what is the job of a resistor box? is it for n/a, turbo, etc?

are you feeling significant improvement on the engine?

how do you know if you have low or high impedance fuel injectors?

please explain, i am clueless as to what it does
Old 02-21-2012, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you need the resistor box for an h22 swap. the injectors are diff than that of a civic. if you dont do this on an h22 swap you will fry your ecu.
adam jeffery
Old 02-21-2012, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh so only if you have an h22 swap. what about b's, f's, k's and j's swaps?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:10 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

You need to run a resistor box of you're running peak and hold injectors. Most H-series preludes, F-series Accords and older OBD0 Civics and Integras used this type of injectors. Also most of the larger injectors used for turbos are peak and hold as well. Most other OBD1 & OBD2 Hondas use saturated injectors which do not use an injector box. Using peak and hold injectors without a resistor box will burn up the injector drivers in the ECU.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
You can use an old plug cut off an old distributor or A/C harness to make this whole thing plug and play (plugs in where that cap is) I made up a harness like this for someone one time.
i have a spare parts car on the side of the house. maybe ill go pull those plugs and try and make a plug and play harness like you at some point.
thanks for the tip
adam jeffery
Old 02-21-2012, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
You need to run a resistor box of you're running peak and hold injectors. Most H-series preludes, F-series Accords and older OBD0 Civics and Integras used this type of injectors. Also most of the larger injectors used for turbos are peak and hold as well. Most other OBD1 & OBD2 Hondas use saturated injectors which do not use an injector box. Using peak and hold injectors without a resistor box will burn up the injector drivers in the ECU.
i see. this info should be posted into op. good to know
Old 02-21-2012, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by delsolo95
i see. this info should be posted into op. good to know
ill edit op when i add more pics. thanks

adam jeffery
Old 06-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I installed a resistor box into my 1994 honda del dol via the blocked off plug on the shock D/s tower. I made all my injector connections. but i cut the plug off not thinking like a ****ing idiot!! re reading all the directions thinking i did something wrong and it was to late.... i cut the plug off thinking i didnt need it. what do i do now!!! please help! i come bearing pictures!

Last edited by Former User; 06-04-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:38 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Why are you cross posting? You already posted this in your own thread!
Old 11-03-2013, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by farfrumugen
well when i was first researching how to do the resistor box install for my h22 swap i just could not find an easy write up that i understood easily. so once i finally understood what was needed to get the job done and how easy it actually is i decided to do a write up. no stupid diagrams drawn in paint and half assed explanations. just easy to follow pics and a quick description.

first you will need a volt/ohm meter and set it to continuity. the arrow on the dial is pointed to where it needs to be on my model volt/ohm meter.

next you will have to locate this group of connectors and identify the one with plug. located on the driver side shock tower.

remove the plug, push in the button on the side and use a screw driver to pry the plug out.

now unplug your injector connectors. go back to the plug with the block off plate and take note of what color wires are there. mine where all yellow. look for that color wire on the injector pigtail and insert 1 probe lead into that side of the connector.

once your volt/ohm meter makes an audible sound(like mine) or lights up like some, mark that pin on your sketch that you drew with your mad art skillz.
once you have identified those 4 wires that go to your injectors, cut and strip them.

i was lucky enough to have both connectors to mine so i decided to make mine removable. here you see just the one side of the plug.

cut and strip the 4 red wires and the one yellow wire to what ever length you want(dependent upon where you want to place it).
take the yellow wire from the resistor box connector and the 4 yellow wires on the plug side of the harness connector and twist them together and solder.

now take the remaining red wires from the resistor box and solder them individually to each remaining yellow wire on the harness. dont forget to add your heat shrink to the wire BEFORE you solder. also the order does not matter as far as which red wire goes to which yellow wire.

now just take electrical tape and make it all pretty and dont forget to reinstall the plug on the harness connector.
adam jeffery
my plug has more than 4 wires left over once the four in jector wires are identified?
Old 11-10-2013, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by farfrumugen

adam jeffery
Old 11-10-2013, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nothing needs to go to the dead plug now, right?
Old 11-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my question is, what resistor box ur using ?
Old 11-29-2013, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't matter. Any honda resistor box will work IIRC