Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing and switching ecu pins

Old 04-12-2003, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default removing and switching ecu pins

I'm at the final stages of my gsr swap in my 92 cx. I'm at the point where i need to wire up the IAB and the knock sensor. My question is that on my cx harness there is already wires in A17 and D3....do i just remove those and put the other wires in there place?
Old 04-12-2003, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: removing and switching ecu pins (thehatchninja)

CRAP.....is anyone going to respond.....

UPDATE....i tried starting my car today and it didn't start...... ....i'm taking it somewhere tomorrow.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:37 PM

Hmm, you have done the O2 sensor and VTEC wiring?

If there is a wire already at D3 and A17, then get the color of that wire, and follow it to the shock tower end of that harness. Simply wire, and match it up if the pin-outs are already there.

With the car not starting, that is a whole different issue.

Please clarify on what happens when you try and start it. What wiring you have done, and what you have checked to resolve the problem.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: removing and switching ecu pins (poison)

my car is a 92 CX, it had a D16Z6 in there when i bought it, so it's already wired for VTEC, and it already has a 4 wire 02 sensor.

I think it may not be starting because i might not have done the power wires right...from the battery to the fuse box to the starter and the alternator and all that....i really wasn't sure what i was doing. if someone could help me out with that it would be great....thanks.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You said your car wont start hmm , lets see here i've seen this problem recently , what are the exact symtoms ? is it getting spark ? is it getting fuel ? is it getting air ? is your timing set ? are you getting correct compresstion ? is it turning over fast ? if yes check your injector grounds on the passenger side shock tower plugs , if no you may be getting not getting enough fuel to start the car ; try spraying some carburator cleaner into the throttle body and see if it will start ... if it does that has cleaned up your intake and helped you find out some of your problems feel free to hit me up on AIM or E-Mail me for any more tech questions if this doesnt solve anything
Old 04-14-2003, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thehatchninja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I think it may not be starting because i might not have done the power wires right...from the battery to the fuse box to the starter and the alternator and all that....i really wasn't sure what i was doing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Leaving the IAB unplugged or not wired up will not keep the car from starting. Definitely go over the power wires as you mentioned and make sure to check your grounds which are very easy to overlook.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:57 AM
hatchboy93

Default Re: removing and switching ecu pins (VTECVillain)

thats so weird i dont understand how u have a wire already in D3 i have a 93 CX and i just dropped a 96 R motor in it and when i did the wiring there was no wire at D3 or A4 or D6 somethin must be up with your wiring harness from the shocktower to under the dash.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: removing and switching ecu pins (hatchboy93)

i guess i have the wires there because it's a 92....i dunno.....maybe it's a ground...i haven't really checked those yet.....i actually am about to just get it towed to a shop here that does swaps and just let them finish it and do a 60k tune up or something. thanks for all of your help, but i just don't have the time to work on it....2 jobs and a full time student = no time
Old 04-15-2003, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thehatchninja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i guess i have the wires there because it's a 92....i dunno.....maybe it's a ground...i haven't really checked those yet.....i actually am about to just get it towed to a shop here that does swaps and just let them finish it and do a 60k tune up or something. thanks for all of your help, but i just don't have the time to work on it....2 jobs and a full time student = no time</TD></TR></TABLE>

Keep us posted on what was wrong. I am at the end of my swap (93Cx/98GSR usdm) and can't find where the IAB wire goes to from the ECU. It's frustrating because this is about the only thing I need to do. Well, I'm having the same problem with the wires near the battery. I have 3 and not sure where the 3rd one goes or of the 3 which is the thrid one. I know 2 of them go to the fuse box.

Old 04-17-2003, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

could someone help me out and go over all of the ground wires and locations so i could be ready when i go home and check those out?....will it start without the one connected to the valve cover? cause i didn't hook it up, come to think of it i don't remember if i hooked any of them up...i might have tho....i'll have to wait til this weekend to know for sure.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 04-20-2003, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE.....got it started today, really wish i had some shift linkage!!
Old 04-21-2003, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thehatchninja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could someone help me out and go over all of the ground wires and locations so i could be ready when i go home and check those out?....will it start without the one connected to the valve cover? cause i didn't hook it up, come to think of it i don't remember if i hooked any of them up...i might have tho....i'll have to wait til this weekend to know for sure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You probably shouldn't start it with out the grounds in place. There are at least 4 or 5 on the motor and I am sure they serve a purpose. You said it started. Is this without the grounds installed? I moved my valve cover ground to the rear of the valve cover and groounded it near the drivers shock tower. Looks 10X cleaner w/o that wire running over the empty space where the a/c/ once was

You're missing the shift linkage? CEL on?

Congrats on getting it cranked