Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rebuilding poor man type-r (h-t advice?)

Old 12-03-2012, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuilding poor man type-r (h-t advice?)

I picked this car up for $1k, motor had a knock, but the body was straight for the most part, and I needed a daily, I had a vx motor from my other hatch so i dropped that in and had a daily, I've been tinkering with the vx to get some good mpg out of it, currently up to averaging 37-42 mpg depending on how i drive... (not like you can drive that thing fast anyway)

but so I've finally gotten around to pulling this Poorman apart and here's what I found...

rod bearing on #1 was spun and put some nice grooves in the crank; not sure if it can be machined...

#1 cylinder wall has some nicks from something, all valves appear to be good, and top of piston looks good, so maybe some foreign object got in there and bounced around? will honing take car of these or do they look deep enough to have to bore over??

Now for the rebuilding, when I bought the car the previous owner gave me some p30 pistons and rods.

so I plan on just picking up another gsr crank and putting the p30's in, and of course honing the cylinders walls...

I want to keep this build as cheap as possible, so as far as cams, maybe some ITR cams, any suggestions?

every poor man ITR thread I see has people using after market cams and what not, I want to keep this as cheap and oem as possible unless using aftermarket parts are more cost effective of course...
Attached Images