Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear engine mount by firewall, how do i attempt replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rear engine mount by firewall, how do i attempt replacement?

i bought some jim fab mounts. the two sides are easy but this rear tranny mount looks tough. any suggestions on how i should start this removal? from the bottom or top? so i need to remove the cross member?
Old 07-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In what vehicle are you putting it in? The rear one is always hard unless the intake manifold is off already.
take out the rear trans bracket first, then you might be able to get down in there and remove the rubber mount bolts with a ratchet.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just take off the rear "L" bracket.
Then use some rachet extensions to take off the mount. Ive only done this with the motor out, good luck.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:39 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I find it easy to remove the bolt that holds the rear mount to the L bracket, have someone put the car in reverse while holding the brake pedal, release the clutch til the motor moves forward, then put something(I use a rubber wheel chock) in between the firewall and the manifold so that the motor stays leaning forward. This will give you more access to removing the mount/bracket.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slomofo)

so i should take off those front torque mounts first and leave them off and then try and tilt the motor forward as much as i can? sounds good to me
Old 07-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slomofo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I find it easy to remove the bolt that holds the rear mount to the L bracket, have someone put the car in reverse while holding the brake pedal, release the clutch til the motor moves forward, then put something(I use a rubber wheel chock) in between the firewall and the manifold so that the motor stays leaning forward. This will give you more access to removing the mount/bracket.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Great idea!!! Put your body over/into the engine bay of a running car while in gear and someone is stepping on the gas!!!
Old 07-20-2005, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (klungemonger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by klungemonger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Great idea!!! Put your body over/into the engine bay of a running car while in gear and someone is stepping on the gas!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree, ill try something else
Old 07-20-2005, 09:14 PM
GDD Member

Ok guys, mock me, apparently you people are backyard mechanics. Go work at a GM dealer and you'll see this method used everyday to change rear spark plugs on transverse V6's. I'm not a four hour know-it-all like the rest of you, I can do it in 20 minutes.

Think harder about what I posted.....

Car is running
Motor moves forward
You're not standing behind the motor
You're standing next to the fender
Put spacer in your hand
Lower spacer behind manifold
Have other person shut car off
Enjoy your newly added space to work in

I kinda broke it down so you illiterates could figure it out.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slomofo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok guys, mock me, apparently you people are backyard mechanics. Go work at a GM dealer and you'll see this method used everyday to change rear spark plugs on transverse V6's. I'm not a four hour know-it-all like the rest of you, I can do it in 20 minutes.

Think harder about what I posted.....

Car is running
Motor moves forward
You're not standing behind the motor
You're standing next to the fender
Put spacer in your hand
Lower spacer behind manifold
Have other person shut car off
Enjoy your newly added space to work in

I kinda broke it down so you illiterates could figure it out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how is this going to give you more space? the car is idling so its going to sit still?
Old 07-20-2005, 09:30 PM
GDD Member

Default Re: (hamburgler)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hamburgler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how is this going to give you more space? the car is idling so its going to sit still?</TD></TR></TABLE>

TURN THE FRICKIN CAR OFF WITH A SPACER HOLDING THE MOTOR FORWARD YOU F*CKIN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't need to think harder about what you said fool, I understood it the first time. You and your buddies at the GM dealership can practice any method you like changing plugs in one of those crappy cars. If someone else doesn't feel comfortable trying it that way that's their business, and it doesn't make them an idiot either.

I also find that if someone has a point to make, swearing at people and insulting them rarely accomplishes that, rather it shuts the listener's mind off to your suggestions and makes you appear infantile. Just a helpful thought for the day.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:48 AM
GDD Member

First off, I don't work at the GM dealer, secondly, I wasn't talking to you, and lastly, I got aggravated when hamburgler still couldn't figure out what I was trying to say.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slomofo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

TURN THE FRICKIN CAR OFF WITH A SPACER HOLDING THE MOTOR FORWARD YOU F*CKIN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok chief
Old 07-21-2005, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lets review some statements:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slomofo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
...apparently you people...
I'm not a four hour know-it-all like the rest of you...
I kinda broke it down so you illiterates could figure it out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Statements directed at more than one person, and since there are only a total of 3 of us in the thread it seems like you were talking to me...

Show the guy some patience, when a person doesn't have experience it just might take more than a single post on a web forum to make a mechanic out of them.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:52 AM
GDD Member

ok guys, I apologize. I shouldn't have posted a new method of work, i'll just stick to methods that we've all read about on the internet because the methods used in the automotive industry are NOT honda-tech approved and therefore should not be used. Thank you all for E-thuggin me and teaching me the laws of E-Mechanics.....Really, sorry guys, I am truly sorry for being knowledgeable in GM, Ford, Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Mopar, Mitsubishi, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, and Land Rover, I will quit my day job and go be a tech at honda. Sorry sorry, thank you for showing my the error in my ways.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your not giving suggestions to industry professionals, the fact is that hamburglar probably IS an inexperienced budding garage mechanic and the method you suggested, while it works good for you & others, could go wrong in so many hurtful ways if anyone involved made a mistake.

Yeah, you really got "e-thugged". Please.

Sarcastic insincere apologies not necessary here. You should see someone and work out your anger, over-sensitivity and some sort of rejection complex.
I will forever live in regret that I have alienated such a valuable resource who knows all there is to know about every make & model car produced, I was an idiot to have voiced an opinion contrary to your own, and now I'm doomed to remain such without your expertise to guide me from the dark pit of ignorance.

I didn't show you the error of your ways...you exposed it yourself. The true "error of your ways" is that you apparently believe anyone who doesn't do it your way is in error.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:04 AM
GDD Member

Ok, this has gone way off topic, but I don't care if anyone does it my way, I first stated that "I find it easy", then you come on here saying that I suggested to do my method with the engine running, so I tried to make you see what I was getting at and you got all pissed off about it. Do it however you want, end of discussion, if you have further complaints, please do so by PM, as I don't like drifting far off topic in someone else's thread.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by klungemonger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your not giving suggestions to industry professionals, the fact is that hamburglar probably IS an inexperienced budding garage mechanic and the method you suggested, while it works good for you & others, could go wrong in so many hurtful ways if anyone involved made a mistake.

Yeah, you really got "e-thugged". Please.

Sarcastic insincere apologies not necessary here. You should see someone and work out your anger, over-sensitivity and some sort of rejection complex.
I will forever live in regret that I have alienated such a valuable resource who knows all there is to know about every make & model car produced, I was an idiot to have voiced an opinion contrary to your own, and now I'm doomed to remain such without your expertise to guide me from the dark pit of ignorance.

I didn't show you the error of your ways...you exposed it yourself. The true "error of your ways" is that you apparently believe anyone who doesn't do it your way is in error.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

slowmofo i still dont know what you mean by putting it in reverse to tilt the motor. how much more room is this actually going to give? like 1 inch? its hardly worth risking injury. go back to your gm workplace and tell others to do this as well. get your dad to boss them around and you can write them sketchy instructions. maybe then they will go work at honda. no wonder we see so many GM's break down these days.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Relax now man, everyone is calm now. What he means is, undo the tranny bracket, put in reverse while standing hard on the brakes and giving a little gas at the same time. The engine will roll forward. when it does, find something to wedge somewhere so when you let off the gas and "turn off the car!" the engine will be stuck forward giving you a couple extra inches to get around under the intake manfold.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i get, but i dont really want to wreck the rubber inserts on my motor mounts.