Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear disc swap rear brake line question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear disc swap rear brake line question

Can I use my stock rear brake lines on my 99 dx hatchback if I am swapping in the rear trailing arms from a 99 Si?

Also can I just remove the drums off my stock trailing arms and swap everything over from the si trailing arm instead of having to swap the entire trailing arm?

Modified by chowmien at 5:49 PM 6/11/2005
Old 06-12-2005, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear disc swap rear brake line question (chowmien)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chowmien &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can I use my stock rear brake lines on my 99 dx hatchback if I am swapping in the rear trailing arms from a 99 Si?

Also can I just remove the drums off my stock trailing arms and swap everything over from the si trailing arm instead of having to swap the entire trailing arm?

Modified by chowmien at 5:49 PM 6/11/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. Yes if the line is long enough. If not either get a coupe rear line or stainless lines.

2. Yes you can just swap the drums off and spindle brackets off for the disc setup and keep your lower trailing arms.

Now if you have the entire SI LCA(lower control arm) with rotor, and calipers on it. I'd just swap out the entire dx lca assembly for the Si lca setup. Less work needs to be done IMO
Old 06-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear disc swap rear brake line question (Lord Helmet)

This is what I have here: http://hondamarketplace.com/zerothread?id=1275564

I don't have access to high power air tools to get the trailing arm off and on the chassis and was thinking that swapping the components over would be easier and not require any extra tools besides ratchets, sockets, wrenches etc.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chowmien &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is what I have here: http://hondamarketplace.com/zerothread?id=1275564

I don't have access to high power air tools to get the trailing arm off and on the chassis and was thinking that swapping the components over would be easier and not require any extra tools besides ratchets, sockets, wrenches etc.</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. I didn't use any high power air tools to get my trailing arms off. Nothing but good ol' hand tools: craftsmen tool

2. I use a floor jack to get the entire trailing arm on and off the chassis.

This was done in front of my driveway with simple hand tools and a floor jack. I don't have the luxury of having a hydro lift.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lord Helmet &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

1. I didn't use any high power air tools to get my trailing arms off. Nothing but good ol' hand tools: craftsmen tool

2. I use a floor jack to get the entire trailing arm on and off the chassis.

This was done in front of my driveway with simple hand tools and a floor jack. I don't have the luxury of having a hydro lift.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you have to get an alignment afterwards?
Old 06-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chowmien &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Did you have to get an alignment afterwards?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well technically you have to, any time you remove important suspension parts off. I haven't though. I marked the toe adjuster bolt position up front before I took off the lca. Almost 4 yrs and no problems with my toe-in alignment.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lord Helmet &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well technically you have to, any time you remove important suspension parts off. I haven't though. I marked the toe adjuster bolt position up front before I took off the lca. Almost 4 yrs and no problems with my toe-in alignment. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah the positive camber is what I'm worried about. I read some other peoples posts about it. I'm gonna see how hard it is to dissasemble the stuff from the si trailing arm.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chowmien &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah the positive camber is what I'm worried about. I read some other peoples posts about it. I'm gonna see how hard it is to dissasemble the stuff from the si trailing arm.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why would you be worry about positive camber when Honda/Acuras don't have adjustments for them? Changing lca will only effect the toe in/ toe out alignments. Unless you have lowering springs added during this swap or coil-overs, there is nothing to worry about. When I swapped out my drums for disc, the only thing effected was toe alignment. My camber alignment is exactly the same when I had the drums on.

BTW don't always believe what people say: "I hear this/ I saw this" Unless they have physically done this swap I would just take their opinion with a grain of salt.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why would you be worry about positive camber when Honda/Acuras don't have adjustments for them? Changing lca will only effect the toe in/ toe out alignments. Unless you have lowering springs added during this swap or coil-overs, there is nothing to worry about. When I swapped out my drums for disc, the only thing effected was toe alignment. My camber alignment is exactly the same when I had the drums on.

BTW don't always believe what people say: "I hear this/ I saw this" Unless they have physically done this swap I would just take their opinion with a grain of salt. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry I may have worded it incorrectly. I read a couple different posts where after installing sir ear trailing arms what the wheels would point inward at the bottom (opposite of the lowering car effect) and they couldn't fix it. I would rather not have to run into the same problem or have to go get an alignment.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry I may have worded it incorrectly. I read a couple different posts where after installing sir ear trailing arms what the wheels would point inward at the bottom (opposite of the lowering car effect) and they couldn't fix it. I would rather not have to run into the same problem or have to go get an alignment.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's no way camber would be effected by changing the rear lca. Like I said only the rear toe alignment is effect. If they added springs or coil-overs during the swap then of course the camber will be effected.