Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For Rally: Better ground clearance K20 or B18 in an EG?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For Rally: Better ground clearance K20 or B18 in an EG?

I'm running an EG Civic for rally with a D16z6 and am looking to move up to Group2 next year which allows me to swap motors. It is very important that I don't lose engine ground clearance and am wondering what the differences are between D, B, and K series engines. K series require new mounts so what are the ground clearances between companies (Hasport, hybrid racing etc)?

Thanks,

Aaron.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: For Rally: Better ground clearance K20 or B18 in an EG? (W.O.T.)

The K's oil pan hangs down pretty low. It is about the same as my H in eg (3" clearance with a ~2" drop). The B's will have more ground clearance than either of those, but I don't know in comparison to D's.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:40 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

B16 has better ground clearance than the B18, K20's have a hard aluminum oil pan and sit much lower than the b-series, so with less ground clearance you run the risk of denting the pan, but unfortunately these pans don't dent, they crack.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:26 PM

We have Team4 using the Hybrid-Racing K-swap parts. They will be using our mounts in their EG rally car. http://www.team4.truenuff.com/

These pics are of an integra with Hybrid-Racing mounts. Your suspension will ultimately decide the ground clearance though.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Sexy Cheese Cake

Default Re: For Rally: Better ground clearance K20 or B18 in an EG? (Goatsterrman)

the problem with the k20 having solid aluminum can be fix by using a k24 one they are just like the b series in the sheetmetal style,
Old 07-15-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Re: For Rally: Better ground clearance K20 or B18 in an EG? (duckmanEG)

Thanks Goatsterrman - from your picture you cannont see the pan which is good. Currently my skid plate runs level with the front plastic chin spoiler underbody lip thingy - Is that about the level of the k20 pan? Is that the stock position of the mounts or are they shimmed up? I assume the hood needs to be modified? I'm already running about 1" ABOVE stock with rally suspension but I don't want to lose any clearance...

DuckmanEG - Is the k24 pan, which you way is metal not aluminium, a bolt on replacement? Does it affect ground clearance to the good or bad (is it a different height?)
Old 07-15-2005, 10:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by W.O.T. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks Goatsterrman - from your picture you cannont see the pan which is good. Currently my skid plate runs level with the front plastic chin spoiler underbody lip thingy - Is that about the level of the k20 pan? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've only seen one K swap in eg in person, and we were comparing the oil pan clearance to my H in eg. We couldn't visually tell who's was lower, they looked almost exactly the same. Here's a pic of my clearance (since I dont' have a pic of his). You could expect about the same, which I don't think would work with your skid plate.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing....D.jpg
(just a link due to the size of the pic)
Old 07-15-2005, 10:52 AM
Sexy Cheese Cake

Default Re: For Rally: Better ground clearance K20 or B18 in an EG? (IHateJDM)

i know it can be bolted striaght in since ppl are runnning them on the k24a's i guess since it has sum better area for pickup which im sure can be solved with a baffle setup in the k24a. umm u might want to go to k20a.org for ppl with more specifics on what is needed height and what not. ill look for the htread sumone just had about swapping them over. and maybe want to PM nikos on this board. he runs k20a.org.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by W.O.T. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks Goatsterrman - from your picture you cannont see the pan which is good. Currently my skid plate runs level with the front plastic chin spoiler underbody lip thingy - Is that about the level of the k20 pan? Is that the stock position of the mounts or are they shimmed up? I assume the hood needs to be modified? I'm already running about 1" ABOVE stock with rally suspension but I don't want to lose any clearance...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Those mounts are not shimmed up in anyway, The hood only needs to be trimmed if you are using a K24 block, in that case only the underwebbing of the hood needs to be trimmed.
I have not heard anything from Team4 about ground clearance problems in their EG rally car.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:29 PM

nice to know!