Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question regarding swap wiring!

Old 09-14-2003, 02:37 PM
GPoodle

Default Quick question regarding swap wiring!

I have the B16A2 swap from HMO (out of a JDM Del Sol I believe), and it came obviously with the original RHD wiring harness. I just freaked out for a second because all the wires I needed were on the opposite side of the car, and the battery-starter cable was about 4.5 feet long.

But then I remembered I dont use this harness .... RIGHT?

Will EVERYTHING match up if I unplug everything on the motor and use the harness thats on my existing motor for everything, and just run the nescessary VTEC related wires?

The car is a 5th gen civic and HMO says its a direct bolt in.

THANKS !
Old 09-14-2003, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Quick question regarding swap wiring! (GPoodle)

you need to use your stock civic wiring

and FYI its not a jdm b16a2, its a second gen b16

the b16a2 was only in the 99-00 si here in the states.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You`ll need to use and adapt your factory Civic harness to the 2nd Gen B16.

You WILL need to wire up Knock Sensor (located at the rear of the engine near the cyliner head) to D3 pinout.

What model Civic do you have?

If you have an EX/Si then you will not need to wire up VTEC, as the wires are already embedded into the engine harness and will plug right up.

If you have a 1992 Civic (any model), and is not an EX/Si, then you`ll need to wire the VTEC wires to the shock tower harness. The wires on the shock tower to the ECU are already there.

If you have a 93-95 Civic, then you`ll need to wire up VTEC completely from the engine harness, add the pins to the shock tower, and then wire them up to the ECU (which is A4 for the VTEC solenoid, and VTEC pressure switch to the D6 pinout).

Old 09-14-2003, 03:43 PM
GPoodle

Default Re: Quick question regarding swap wiring! (poison)

Allright thanks guys !

Its a 93' LX

And my bad for calling it the wrong name, I assumed the B16A SIR-II was a B16A2.

I'll post again after next weekend when its all did and done. =P
Old 09-14-2003, 03:46 PM
GPoodle

Oh, and is there a trick to unplugging the connectors? I havent tried them all but the main distrubutor connector I was truing to get undone (because the metal part of the rotor was seized) and while pushing that little clip I could pull apart as hard as I could and it wouldnt budge =\
Old 09-14-2003, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will simply reuse your stock 93 LX engine harness on the B16A and salvage the VTEC solenoid, VTEC pressure switch and knock sensor plugs and wiring from the JDM harness.
As Poison said, you'll need to wire them from the sensor to the shock tower then from there to the ECU if you want it to be more like factory wiring. You can also hardwire directly from the sensor to the ECU and route the wiring as you see fit as many people do.
Old 09-14-2003, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (GPoodle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GPoodle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh, and is there a trick to unplugging the connectors?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Some connect to the metal tabs which you need to unclip from the tab first then after that you can disconnect them.
Old 09-14-2003, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (VTECVillain)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECVillain &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Some connect to the metal tabs which you need to unclip from the tab first then after that you can disconnect them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, they are usually on metal brackets that hold it somewhere (depending on what plug), you need to remove it then unclip it.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of wires do you add? just normal, same guage wires as the rest of the KS, without and pins on the end? or do u need one with a pin in the end, so they can go into the ECU?