Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about h22 in an EJ... that's right I said EJ

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about h22 in an EJ... that's right I said EJ

I haven't seen anyone that has this swap...yet. Any how, there's not even very many people w/ it in there ek's. On to my questions:

1. Has anyone had any issues with the HCP mount kit and axle angles? I have heard about it a couple of times. Also do you have any opinions on the Place Racing mount kits for the EJ?

2. Everyone has basically said to go w/ 90-93 Integra axles w/ an Accord intermediate shaft. Will this work on a 99 civic ex ?

3. I've also notice that some people have had to do some custom fabrication to the shift linkage, and even do a change over from the hydro back to a cable clutch system. Why is this?

Thanks in advance, and don't say use the search, i've read at least 100 articles...
Old 04-29-2003, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Questions about h22 in an EJ... that's right I said EJ (DarkKnight[DMD])

umm ej and ek have the same engine bay...hey that rhymed!?

ya hcp for ek will work fine, thats what i got in my ej!

edit: axel setup is the same too!
Old 04-29-2003, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Questions about h22 in an EJ... that's right I said EJ (DarkKnight[DMD])

I just did the swap in an EJ6.

1. I have no problems with the HCP mounts at all so far. The axles look like they are at a wierd angle but havent had any issues yet.

2. The axles Im using I got from http://www.driveshaftshop.com out of New York, and with them I was able to keep my prelude intermediate shaft.

3. Modifications have to be made to the size of the hole yes but I didnt have to convert it back, I dont see how that would make any sense.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about h22 in an EJ... that's right I said EJ (junglerunna02)

3. I've also notice that some people have had to do some custom fabrication to the shift linkage, and even do a change over from the hydro back to a cable clutch system. Why is this?
Old 04-29-2003, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, I didn't read that answer correctly. So I won't have to change to cable clutch? I can keep the H22 tranny that comes with it?
Old 04-29-2003, 03:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DarkKnight[DMD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">]Sorry, I didn't read that answer correctly. So I won't have to change to cable clutch? I can keep the H22 tranny that comes with it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes you can use the same tranny.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DarkKnight[DMD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">]I haven't seen anyone that has this swap...yet. Any how, there's not even very many people w/ it in there ek's. On to my questions:

1. Has anyone had any issues with the HCP mount kit and axle angles? I have heard about it a couple of times. Also do you have any opinions on the Place Racing mount kits for the EJ?

2. Everyone has basically said to go w/ 90-93 Integra axles w/ an Accord intermediate shaft. Will this work on a 99 civic ex ?

Thanks in advance, and don't say use the search, i've read at least 100 articles...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know of a few people who have done H22 swaps into EK coupes. And just FYI, not all EJ's are EK style

I used to have an EJ1 (93 EX coupe) and had an h22 in there, transferred over to an EH2 VX.

hondaZvic has a 99 civic EX with an H22 in there and is very knowledgable as well. Also jdmdxturd has a 97 I believe DX Coupe.

To your questions.

For 1. HCP mounts are great. Not complaints from me other than I just don't recommend 'em. But there are people who love 'em a lot. As for place racing, I wish I could answer, but I do believe the EK Place Racing mounts aren't bad.

2. Yes, it will.

3. To clear some things up because I think you've got the cable/hydro clutch system mixed with rod and cable shifters. Shift linkage for D and B series (Civic/Integra) are the rod type shifters. The (prelude and accords) F and H series have cable type shifters that go thru the cab and have a shifter assembly.

All 92+ Trannies are HYDRO system clutches. The 88-91 are CABLE type Clutch systems. This has nothing to do with the shifters.

The only thing you need to do to convert to the Cable type shifters instead of your factory rod shifter, is to cut out a 2x3 hole about 7 inches in front of the factory shifter hole, to feed the shifter cables through. Only other thing you need to modify is to drill holes to mount the shifter assembly.

HTH.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about h22 in an EJ... that's right I said EJ (poison)

thank you. that helps alot. Also, do you know if there is a wiring conversion kit out for the swap? I checked w/ hasport and just like their "phantom" h-series ek mounts, their wire conversion kit is just "two" months away. If there is no kit, per se, do you know where i can get a diagrahm of the wiring?
Old 04-29-2003, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep, prospeed and suprdave on HT I believe makes 'em for h22 ready.

I would wire it yourself if you have the knowledge and research doing so. I can send you some wiring diagrams if you wish to further research the swap. For OBD2, however, the pin-outs may be different. I wrote the diagram up for OBD1 originally, but OBD2 has some relations for the swap.

if you want the diagrams, shoot me an email civlude@hotmail.com and lemme know via IM when you send it so I can send right away.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:34 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Questions about h22 in an EJ... that's right I said EJ (poison)

Both Prospeed & Suprdave are good guys so either can be trusted

As for some axle info, using the HCP motor mounts, check one of my old posts out where I explained a lot about what setups to use: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=434668

As for mount kits, there are pro's and con's for some mount kits, but I'd recommend staying away from some "real knockoff" kits (not to say any names just yet, but I'll have picts up here in the next week showng one company making a complete knockoff kit of the HCP EG-22 kit, showing the BEFORE and how it fits in the car with the motor (you won't believe it) and the AFTER picts of the same car, same motor using the HCP kit.... I'll post it up after we take picts after we swap it in this weekend

Old 04-30-2003, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about h22 in an EJ... that's right I said EJ (Newman)

Alright, that should be enough for quench my thirst for questions for now, I'll defniitely let you hear anymore in the future. But if you have anymore tips on little quirks you found w/ your install, i would still like to hear them.