Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled my ls/vtec today...pic

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 02:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled my ls/vtec today...pic

I pulled my ls/vtec today. I know it was not running full on all 4 cyliders and I was having it bored thinking it was just worn cylinder walls (255,000 miles) on my stock block, but the damage was alot worse than that. It is B16a head, pr3 pistons and I was running single layer head gasket for a little while putting my compression right around 12.1. I ran zex on it right when I got it running and I knew it ran lean and blew my head gasket but it did alot more damage it seems. My #4 piston was missing 3/4 of the ring land. The top ring was still in, most of the second ring was gone. There was a small hole by the exaust valve seat going down to were the ring land was missing. The only time it would smoke was when I'd let off the gas...prolly because it caused vaccum and sucked the oil in. I drove this motor quite a few miles. I live in utah and took 1 trip to cali about 1800 miles round trip, to vegas 1000 miles round trip and to washington state 1600 miles plus daily drove it everyday. I ran 15.09 at our elevation (4700 feet). It always seemed to run pretty good. Right with everyone else. It never seemed as fast as it did right when I got it built. Guess I know why now!
Now for the next problem. My last trip I drove it to washington state. With my high compression I always seem to have trouble going to lower elevations. I always richen it up a bit to be safe and I always bring the timing back to 14 degrees, but I always seem to get shitty gas in a little *** town in the midlle of now were. On the way down I stopped in Pendelton and filled up with 92 &^ fuel and man it knocked really bad after that. I stopped and richened it up a little more and got the zdyne online and tuned a few more degrees of timing from my maps. It ran better but it was too late. It lacked alot of power and was using water. While I was in Washington I bought a new 3 layer head gasket and installed it. That is when I noticed the smnall hole on #4 and I thought that was the cause of it all. Come to find out the hole in #4 has been there a long time and was caused by the nitrous and the bad gas ordeal broke the #1 second compression ring and cracked the ring land. It was all still in there though just broken. The #4 ring land and missing parts of the ring are long gone. There is a couple dimples in the head on #4 and I hope the seats are o.k. Other pistons I have seen like #4 there is extensive head and cylinder wall damage mine is clean and looks really good except the couple dimples in the head.
So watch your compression on your daily drivers, and watch the gas stations in little BFE towns, cause they are ******* people hard. $2.00 for 92 when it is maybe 85. I am happy no other damage was done! I am really looking forward to seeing what she does with the new pistons, a little oversized and full compression.
Here is a pict of the motor. You'll notice alot of oil leaks. I could never ever stop it from leaking but I think it was caused by the increased pressure from the blow by. It smoked alot out of the dip stick hole or the valve cover breather. I once plugged the valve breather off and the pressure built up so bad I could not really even hold it and the dipstick started to blow out.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Pulled my ls/vtec today...pic (DohcVtecCrx)

Sorry to hear that, but you should have known better to run nitrous on a c/r that high. I'm in a similar boat, I have a B16 running CTR pistons and I burn quite a bit of oil. Hopefully it's nothing major, I'll be pulling the motor out at the end of the month for something new anyway.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:55 PM

hey you got a badass pic i can see a turbo charger right on the shelf and what seems to be a turbo manifold. Hopefully your motor aight. I'm from hawaii and everyone here likes to run in their si's but hey what u got is an airplane without wings. race on!
Old 05-26-2003, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hawaiian)

Nice manifold, turbo, couple sets of wiseco pistons and eagle rods back there. Arp head stud and acl bearings and some ef-1 dohc valve springs also! Most for sohc build I am doing!