Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems after swap. Please help...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems after swap. Please help...

Originally i was going to do my motor swap myself but due to work related commitments i decided to bring it to a local performance shop. I have a 97 civic ex 5spd, and i had a B18c GSR motor installed. the person i bought it from told me it was an OBD2 but it turned out to be a OBD1. The shop sold me the OBD1 to OBD2 cable and installed everything for me. i also had new headers, intake, and catback system installed, along with new spark plugs, wires, and a new cap and rotor.

I finally picked the car up today (shop had it about a week) and drove it home. The shop is about 25 miles from my house. My car didnt feel like it had the power i thought it would, but figured i just had higher expectations. When i pulled in my driveway the check engine light came on. i turned the car off then on again and the light went away.

2 hours later i went out to run to the store. car started great, but as i drove down the road the check engine light came on again and within seconds my speedometer and odometer shut off (tach/gas/temp still worked). i drove back home and checked the wire harness that plugs into the tranny and it was still plugged in. when i restarted my car the check engine light was off.

as i drove down the block again the light came back on and the speedo shut off but i kept driving. as i entered a main road my car bogged down for a second then was fine. i returned home and stalled in my driveway. my car turned back on again and check engine light went off.

the shop opens again on monday so i plan to have my car towed back there. before i go through all of this trouble, does anyone have any suggestions they could give as to why i am having these problems?
Old 04-15-2007, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Problems after swap. Please help... (erich73)

i just checked for codes this morning. i am throwing a code 17 (VSS). i checked the connecter on my tranny and it is plugged in all the way. could a bad VSS cause my car to stall?

**Update. i just rechecked and i am also throwing a code 22 (VTEC pressure valve).

Modified by erich73 at 2:16 PM 4/15/2007
Old 04-16-2007, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Problems after swap. Please help... (erich73)

i found a green/yellow wire that had been stripped back and left exposed in a green plug by my ECU. i checked my helms manual and found this wire to be my VTEC solenoid wire. it must have grounded out against my ECU or chasis. i took the car for a test drive after resetting everything and im still have accelerating issues where the car sputters and feels like its going to stall.

my check engine light came back on so i checked for codes again. #8 came up (top dead center sensor).

i checked all of the plugs on my distributer and they were all plugged in. could my dist. be bad?