Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with '93 TEG axles on '89 EF Hatch with ZC engine Tranny combo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with '93 TEG axles on '89 EF Hatch with ZC engine Tranny combo?

Now heres a problem, 1989 EF Hatch with a ZC engine and trans swap. Have '93 TEG axels due to several recomendations . I went about 2 miles made a hard left U turn and did a job on the drivers side inner CV Joint. THink it may have seperated and made one extra turn due to the twist in the CV Boot, in any case certainly damaged it. Was real easy on the gas or would have really mad a mess.. Any one else have this problem using '93 integra axels on a ZC engine/Tranny combo in a '89 EF Hatch (DX). Seems like the Drivers axel may be like 1 or 2 inches too short.
_______
Old 06-10-2002, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Problem with '93 TEG axles on '89 EF Hatch with ZC engine Tranny combo? (virginia_dude)

aren't you supposed to use civic axles?
Old 06-11-2002, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Problem with '93 TEG axles on '89 EF Hatch with ZC engine Tranny combo? (Slow_ass_4dr)

from what I understand you need the 90-93 teg axels if you use a b series motor, but the ZC is technically a d series so the stock axels should work.
Old 06-11-2002, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem with '93 TEG axles on '89 EF Hatch with ZC engine Tranny combo? (fork)

No, you can not use Stock axels with the ZC Transmission, It is the only D series transmission with an Intermediate shaft. THe Si and DX axels have no Intermediate shaft and the inner CV Joints are smaller diameter so even the passenger side axels will not fit. and the drivers side is about the same length as the passenger side. unlike the real long stock drivers axel. I've been through two Si transmissions already and a good one that isn't worn out is real hard to find. Thats why I went with a ZC trans, easier to find a low milage one that it is a SI trans and cheaper too. The B-16 swap takes TEG GSR axels a slightly different beast.
Old 06-11-2002, 06:26 AM
-TJ
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem with '93 TEG axles on '89 EF Hatch with ZC engine Tranny combo? (virginia_dude)

Sounds to me like you ended up with a 86-89 Integra axle. The only thing you really NEED with a ZC tranny is 90-93 Inner joints. Those can be mounted onto two (2) right side (short side) Civic/CRX axles. You can ID your failed axle inner joint by comparing the cup length to a stock Civic/CRX axle - the cup length is virtually the same, only as you pointed out, the spline diameter is larger on the integra axle. THe cup length of a 86-89 integra inner joint will be notably shorter.

90-93 Axles work fine, as long as you're 100% sure that they are 90-93. On my '91 Civic, I have one of each mentioned above - they've gone thousands of miles....the right side is a stock CIvic axle with 90-93 inner joint, the left side axle is 100% 90-93 Integra.
Old 06-11-2002, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem with '93 TEG axles on '89 EF Hatch with ZC engine Tranny combo? (-TJ)

The cup lengths are the same as the stock ZC and the DX axels were, In fact I had the original inner ZC CV joints and they were an identical match with the TEG axels I got. The passenger side appears to fit good but then 2 miles were driven when I poped the left side. When I say popped the Cup stayed locked to the intermediate shaft one of the CV bearings pulled far enough out of the cup to pop out and do the resulting damage when the axel rotated with the bearing so since its a remanufactured axel I am not cutting the band to find out if it was ruined and ruin any chance I have of getting a replacement axel. But what I was wanting to do was get the new axel and put both CV joints on a stripped Civic axel which appears to be 1 inch longer which should make for a perfect fit. I know for a fact the CV's WILL swap over. And I need something longer on the drivers side so this doesn't happen again. I may go to the junk yard and get one more right side axel and do the other one too since most people have trouble with that one and thats the one that appers to fit best. Funny but maybe my motor just naturally fits biased to the right more than most. THat could account for why that side seems to fit better than most and the one that should fit best is too short on mine for some strange reason.

[Modified by virginia_dude, 11:32 AM 6/11/2002]
Old 06-11-2002, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah it sounds like your problamatic axle is more than likely an 86-89 integra axle. I back up wut TJ says also..
Old 06-11-2002, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem with '93 TEG axles on '89 EF Hatch with ZC engine Tranny combo? (Katman)

I see what you are saying but the Cup length is the same as the stock axle cups were and also the same as the ZC inner CV Joint cups that were on the trans when I Bought it. Well in any case It goes back tonight, and if the next one is the same length (about 1" shorter than the stock right axle) I will swap the new CV joints to the stock right Axle. Damn hate when this happens, always to me when it works for everyone else.
Old 06-11-2002, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I have another on order and made sure it was a '93 integra Non-abs axel, if it was a fluke the next one will be longer. funny though the Passenger side TEG axel fits perfectly.
Old 06-17-2002, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update. THe old axel they sold me obviously was the wrong one in the bax. It was I inch shorter than the replacement one and it was the same part number, In any case this one fits and works perfectly. And No it wasn't an older TEG axel. THe CV cups were the right size and everything. Older ones had shorter CV cup length.