Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

prelude b20 crank in b18c1? anyone know?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prelude b20 crank in b18c1? anyone know?

i read a fs thread in the marketplace and the person had a "stroked" gsr motor. it was a 89 prelude b20 crank in a gsr stroking the gsr to199?cc's. i am rebuilding my gsr and want to know what it takes to make that setup work and if anyone has info on how well it works, what kind of rods do you use, what mods if any do you have to do to fit the crank in the gsr block.ect. i asked the guy that was on the marketplace and he said that someone else at a shop built the motor and he was not sure about all the details. any help would be great. thanks
Old 02-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: prelude b20 crank in b18c1? anyone know?

ttt
Old 02-19-2009, 07:26 AM
d22
Honda-Tech Member

its the crv/ls crank //its a b20 from the crv

same idea as ls vtec but you dont need a t fiting/ sandwich adapter
Old 02-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you need to do some machining to get the prelude B20a crank to fit a Gsr and I dont know what rods you can use ... I have one if you want it but it would be expensive to ship
Old 02-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its not the same crank as the b20 crv/ls.... it is a bigger crank and you can use it in a gsr motor. Not sure what kind of machining is required but you get a much bigger motor with this crank.

I know someone that had this setup in his EG a few years back. He also had the rod journals machined to single cam bearing sizes and ran a longer rod with a custom piston, which brought the wrist pin higher up on the piston. He also had a custom skirt on the piston. A lot of work but its worth it if the car isnt a daily driver. Burnt oil cause the wrist pin was so close to if not in the bottum oil ring.

anyone else have info that can tell us about rod/piston combos for a daily driver?
Old 02-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xzodiackillerx
you need to do some machining to get the prelude B20a crank to fit a Gsr and I dont know what rods you can use ... I have one if you want it but it would be expensive to ship
what are you looking to get for it and can you put it on a bathroom scale so i can try to see how much to ship?i might be able to get one from pick and pull, they had one there last time i was there but if they don;t have it would be interested in gettin yours.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DSRxCandyh2bEG
Its not the same crank as the b20 crv/ls.... it is a bigger crank and you can use it in a gsr motor. Not sure what kind of machining is required but you get a much bigger motor with this crank.

I know someone that had this setup in his EG a few years back. He also had the rod journals machined to single cam bearing sizes and ran a longer rod with a custom piston, which brought the wrist pin higher up on the piston. He also had a custom skirt on the piston. A lot of work but its worth it if the car isnt a daily driver. Burnt oil cause the wrist pin was so close to if not in the bottum oil ring.

anyone else have info that can tell us about rod/piston combos for a daily driver?
yes i know its not the crv crank, like i said i have heard of this being done but its proving to be harder to find out how its done. my block is at the machine shop and the crank is the last thing i ned to sort out. i have eagle gsr rods and 12.5:1 81.50mm manley pistons already so i really would like to use those parts(at least the pistons). the car is not going to be a dd and the work is not a problem just need to know the details. thanks for the feedback.
and please, anyone with any info on this setup, show some love!
Old 02-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The B20a/b21a crank isn't so strong, and by the time you have the proper machining done to make it work, you might as well just buy a Crower 92mm or 95mm crank.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the thought has crossed my mind, was lookin at the eagle's. might have to check out the crower's.you know about this set up though? what the b20 crank's weakness and what rods, rodbearings, mainbearings/ machining?