Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poison's Review -- H22 EG Balance Shaft Belt Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Poison's Review -- H22 EG Balance Shaft Belt Removal

Welp, a couple days ago (on friday) while changing my water pump, decided to remove that balance shaft belt due to me being a power ***** and see what it's like.

After putting everything back together, starting up the motor, I noticed quite a bit more vibration, but was nothing really too major. I've also noticed the motor was a little louder and such, but that could also due to the firewall matt, heater core and all that have been removed. Nevertheless, the motor was quieter with the balance shaft belt installed.

Being I have HASport drag mounts, I was expecting more vibrations and such.

After driving around for a while, went cruising, I've definitely noticed a power gain and revs going up and down faster due to less rotational mass.

Would I recommend it to someone who's in the swap for nice power and luxory?

No.

Before I removed the balance shafts, I had NO vibration, under hard acceleration, idle and everything. I just just slight vibration while launching normal at about 800 rpms, but that is normal with the mounts.

As for the power, I'm loving it. I like knowing I can cut a belt and expect more power

For me, I don't mind the little vibrations at all. But of course with the project I'm building, the only luxory is padding for my *** in the seats.

But others who want to just have a nice fast car, A/C, and the works, I'd recommend you keep it in unless you're the curious type, then you can always install 'em again.

Comments welcome yo. peace
Old 06-30-2003, 07:20 PM
JV
Who?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Poison's Review -- H22 EG Balance Shaft Belt Removal (poison)

Where exactly is the balance shaft/s? Is it's purpose just to alleviate vibration through the unibody? How much HP is generally gained by removing it?

H22 illiterate...
Old 06-30-2003, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Poison's Review -- H22 EG Balance Shaft Belt Removal (JV)

I had my belt off for about an hour.

Definitely revs very quickly...especially with my light flywheel.

But I just couldn't handle the vibrations. I've already got the bad enough.

But then again, I seem to be the only one with them....I dunno what the problem is. lol
Old 06-30-2003, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Poison's Review -- H22 EG Balance Shaft Belt Removal (Jonathan_EH)

good info Poison
Old 07-01-2003, 06:03 AM

hehe Since its my only ride I will probably keep them in for now. The car already sounds like a monster @ WOT so I dont want the girlies getting all scared when they chillin in the ride..
Old 07-01-2003, 08:16 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JV &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Where exactly is the balance shaft/s? Is it's purpose just to alleviate vibration through the unibody? How much HP is generally gained by removing it?

H22 illiterate... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Im pretty sure the balancer belt is there for a luxory issue mainly. It helps keep down extra and excessive vibrations caused from larger four cylinder displaced motors if Im not mistaken.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Poison's Review -- H22 EG Balance Shaft Belt Removal (junglerunna02)

Yeah that's what I heard until I noticed the engine vibrated so hard with them out that I had screws and bolts backing themselves out.

I was about 1 minute away from losing a bolt down into my timing belt area. Good thing I caught it when I did. then I decided never to run balancer shaft-less again
Old 07-01-2003, 12:04 PM

Yep, the balancer shaft was put in due to being a bigger displacement motor in a luxory car to reduce second hand vibrations.

There are two of them, one for which is on the front side of the motor, and the other located on the rear part.

They are nothing more than little tiny cam shaft type deal that spin and just balance out the motor. Cutting the belt will reduce rotational mass and increase RPM's faster and free up a little horse power, just like a lightened flywheel would.

In regular ludes, the vibrations are minimal when the balance shaft belt is removed due to the mounts. But since we have mounts that have little to no flex in the motor, it all gets transferred to the wheels or to the chassis.

I'm used to it now, and lovin the revving faster. But my O2 is probably dead, so I'll need to replace that tomorrow and see some nice revving.

I'll be racing this friday as well hopefully on some slicks. My friend with a 73 formula 400 firebird wants to race me too and he has about $6,000 invested in his motor He fails to believe H22 Civics are in the 13's because he said stock preludes are slow as hell.

I'll just have to show him up
Old 07-01-2003, 12:14 PM

Default Re: (GSRslowandswap)

12 whp for a belt isn't bad.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:15 PM

Default Re: (poison)

Waiting to see the results of the race/run.. Good luck..
Old 07-01-2003, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSRslowandswap &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's funny...

we've dynoed h22's with and without blet..

and without we saw gains across the graph of upwards of 12whp</TD></TR></TABLE>

Got any dynos I can check out?

I saw a dyno that gained like 2 whp without the belt.

2 whp isn't worth having my teeth fall out IMHO.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:37 PM

Default Re: (Jonathan_EH)

2 whp is definitely not worth it, but 12 whp, for a belt, it's off definitely!
Old 07-01-2003, 12:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2 whp is definitely not worth it, but 12 whp, for a belt, it's off definitely!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Totally.

If I was aware of not having to replace the balancer belt when I changed my timing belt and water pump before I did the swap I prolly would have left them out. Yet Im skeptical if that its going to be worth it, especially with the motor not being on the ground anymore.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:15 PM

Default Re: (junglerunna02)

Ya, I plan on removing 'em completely with the caps and doing the h23 conversion once hardcore stuff goes into the motor.

You guys should think of this too.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You guys should think of this too. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I am thinking about it. Rather enjoy the car for what it is right now for the summer. Then do something like this and some during the winter.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I turned the bearings, installed caps, and did some modifications to the balance shaft belt assemblies.

no balance shafts in my motor, all gone....

should work great, don't think thei'll be a problem.. if so we tough. i'll be a back massage... i'm running stage 3's so i'm certain the idle won't be great to begin with..

Old 07-01-2003, 03:39 PM

Default Re: (HotWheelz)

not bad. what mounts you have again?

how's the vibrations in there?
Old 07-01-2003, 04:13 PM
JV
Who?

Default Re: Poison's Review -- H22 EG Balance Shaft Belt Removal (poison)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yep, the balancer shaft was put in due to being a bigger displacement motor in a luxory car to reduce second hand vibrations.

There are two of them, one for which is on the front side of the motor, and the other located on the rear part.

They are nothing more than little tiny cam shaft type deal that spin and just balance out the motor. Cutting the belt will reduce rotational mass and increase RPM's faster and free up a little horse power, just like a lightened flywheel would.

In regular ludes, the vibrations are minimal when the balance shaft belt is removed due to the mounts. But since we have mounts that have little to no flex in the motor, it all gets transferred to the wheels or to the chassis.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the info mang...

Old 07-01-2003, 04:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JV &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks for the info mang...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

NP, bizump for h22 boys