Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plz help I've spent all day looking through old posts & cant find the answers I need!

Old 11-02-2002, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plz help I've spent all day looking through old posts & cant find the answers I need!

I have a JDM SiR inc b16a Y1 box with LSD.

I can get hold of a JDM B20b & a spare B16a1 head.

What do I need to do to build a CRVTEC? I've seen loads of info about the oil feed for the Vtec, the head dowels, etc.

What I need to know is from what I've found out a B20b is the lower compression version of a B20 so the valve clearance isnt as close with a vtec head when compaired to a B20z. Is it ok to run oem b20 pistons will they need the valve reliefs opening up to the size of the vtec valves or should I defo go with new pistons if so which ones? I.E. what brand (JE?) & what compression ratio runnig on normal uk unleaded (95 octian)?

I'd like to make the motor reliable at a 8.5k rev limit (or more if its safe but I need around 8.5k for 1/4's) without turbo but maybe with NOS at some point a prob 75 shot max.

In adition to my question about the pistons what about the rods (Eagle or shot peen'd or is stock b20 ok?), balanced crank, block girdle etc?

Thanx in advance & sorry for the long list of questions!
BillB
Old 11-02-2002, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Plz help I've spent all day looking through old posts & cant find the answers I need! (BillB)

you didnt look hard enough
go into archives

and my .02 is if you build a b20vtec build it right
pistons rods etc
Old 11-02-2002, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Plz help I've spent all day looking through old posts & cant find the answers I need! (BillB)

the answer to all of your questions is yes,

speed cost money, how fast you wanna go?

t..
Old 11-03-2002, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Plz help I've spent all day looking through old posts & cant find the answers I need! (tinkerbel

I went through all the forums archives with b20 in the posts which took a while! The reason why I posted is most of the posts have so many different opinions as to what works best & what is a no go! In England every place I've called doesnt know what I'm talking about or doesnt know how to do it which is very different to the US from what Ive seen.

& as far as how fast I wana go thats not the point the point I want to build a B20vtec which is reliable at a 8.5k if thats done the power should follow IMO

BillB Still in search for http://www.crvtec.com's new home?

[Modified by BillB, 9:21 AM 11/3/2002]
Old 11-03-2002, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Plz help I've spent all day looking through old posts & cant find the answers I need! (tinkerbel

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/b20vtec/b20vtec.html
Old 11-03-2002, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've looked through c-speeds site & the pics/info are great once I start building up my motor what I need is information & specs on what to run for a good N/A set-up I.E. Rods Pistons Block Girdles etc etc

BillB
Old 11-03-2002, 10:04 AM
Please don't hurt me!

resleeve it
Old 11-03-2002, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went through all the forums archives with b20 in the posts which took a while! The reason why I posted is most of the posts have so many different opinions as to what works best & what is a no go! In England every place I've called doesnt know what I'm talking about or doesnt know how to do it which is very different to the US from what Ive seen.

& as far as how fast I wana go thats not the point the point I want to build a B20vtec which is reliable at a 8.5k if thats done the power should follow IMO

BillB Still in search for http://www.crvtec.com's new home?

[Modified by BillB, 9:21 AM 11/3/2002]
dude its because there is no "correct" way to build it.
if you want reliability
fully build it with pistons rods etc and use a GSR crank.
Old 11-03-2002, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah I see fair enuff I'm stuck over in England as in Britain building a B20 Vtec here is so of it no were I've called would touch it! I've rebuilt a D16 inc low comp pistons & rods that runs 12psi with a HKS turbo kit which is very rare. I thought with the import racing / street racing thing being so big there must be an accepted way to go about building a CRVTEC up!

Ok so I'll need rods pistons & balanced crank.

What compression ratio do most ppl run on stock sleeves as I cant afford to get that done yet (I'm lucky in that we get 95 octain unleaded so detonation shouldnt be a problem)?

Also what about the R/S do ppl get the rods that sort that out to run higher revs?

BillB
Old 11-03-2002, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah I see fair enuff I'm stuck over in England as in Britain building a B20 Vtec here is so of it no were I've called would touch it! I've rebuilt a D16 inc low comp pistons & rods that runs 12psi with a HKS turbo kit which is very rare. I thought with the import racing / street racing thing being so big there must be an accepted way to go about building a CRVTEC up!

Ok so I'll need rods pistons & balanced crank.

What compression ratio do most ppl run on stock sleeves as I cant afford to get that done yet (I'm lucky in that we get 95 octain unleaded so detonation shouldnt be a problem)?

Also what about the R/S do ppl get the rods that sort that out to run higher revs?

BillB
hi BillB, the REASON there are so MANY different opinions is BECAUSE there ARE so many SUCCESSFULL ways in which people have built THIER OWN B20VTECs.

there is no "accepted way to go about building a CRVTEC up!"

sorry for shouting, but you havent seemed to have worked this bit of the equation out yet, even after reading all you can find!

welcome to my world, i am 'downunder'... (it is alot sunnier here though!!!)

i say "b20", people say "what?"

anyways,

good luck with your quest.

as i have said, get what you can afford.

if you cant afford resleeves, stick with a sub 11:1 compression set-up

teh crank is balanced from factory... the reciprocating assembly is not.

get rods/pistons just to avoid the annoyance of dealing with the stock B20B pistons...

so, yeah, as i said - good luck

t..
Old 11-04-2002, 02:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi BillB, the REASON there are so MANY different opinions is BECAUSE there ARE so many SUCCESSFULL ways in which people have built THIER OWN B20VTECs.

there is no "accepted way to go about building a CRVTEC up!"

sorry for shouting, but you havent seemed to have worked this bit of the equation out yet, even after reading all you can find!

welcome to my world, i am 'downunder'... (it is alot sunnier here though!!!)

i say "b20", people say "what?"

anyways,

good luck with your quest.

as i have said, get what you can afford.

if you cant afford resleeves, stick with a sub 11:1 compression set-up

teh crank is balanced from factory... the reciprocating assembly is not.

get rods/pistons just to avoid the annoyance of dealing with the stock B20B pistons...

so, yeah, as i said - good luck
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey no problem about shouting its a long way to me from you

I'm gettin the information I need so thanx, & yeah Its the same here when I mention B20's. I've seen loads of turbo Hondas in the Mags we get here from Cybre etc, which I know is way different but at least you have tuning companys that deal in extreme Honda tuning the only places here sell bolt on's & struggle to get you the right part anyway hence me finding more & more out through the web hence leading to the idea of a B20 Vtec

So stock sleeves, 11:1 max pistons, rods do ppl use the special R/S adjusted rods to help get high revs outa the B20's I'm lookng to rev around 8.5k max will that be ok on stock sleeves?

Fuel wise I have a PWO ECU that in my car due to having a OEM B16a will that work ok with a Apexi V-AFC to sort the fueling or should I look towards a after market ECU?

Gud luck with urs tinkerbell
BillB
Old 11-05-2002, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

but at least you have tuning companys that deal in extreme Honda tuning
wanna tell me where they are dude?!?!

there are places i would call 'elitest' Honda tuning places, but hey - someones gotta make cash somehow...

now, to your questions:

i have revved to 8.2k on STOCK rods and pistons,

all the R/S ratio BS you are reading is some parts true/some parts false,

you can rev to 8.5k safely but not forever - not like in a B16A block...

V-AFC is good, but more cash and you should get Hondata or a stand alone ECU...

especially if you get bigger injectors... (after you reach about 200hp at the fly)

man, as i said -- speed costs money

t..