Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help, tranny making whining noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help, tranny making whining noise

im having a bit of a problem and i was hoping someone out there could help me out. Heres the story......

Last year before the snow started falling in November, me and my friends swapped a B16 into my teg with a ls tranny with a new exedy clutch and throw out bearing. It fired up first try no problems. Great, got the swap done. I put it away for the winter. I drained the tranny before i took the car out to put spoon drain plug in, the fluid was rather dark and filmy. Friend said that it had shavings in it. The oil had less than two miles on it I do believe. . A few weeks ago, me and my friends decided to fire the baby up again. It fired up, but it was making a loud whining noise. Sounds like a metal to metal whining kinda noise. It was there at start up. I had my foot still on the clutch after i started it up. When i took my foot off and had the car in neutral, the noise died down a little but you could still hear it. After some deliberating, my friend came to the conclusion that it might be the throw out bearing. Maybe it wasnt greased when we put it in... Friday, we took it out so we could take it to my friends garage to get the tranny off. I had it in my driveway ready to go, and i couldnt get into first gear, or any gear. So we got out to ponder the situation. We loosened the clutch cable and it seemed to help quite the noise down. After that, we drove the car around for a little and then up and down my drvie way, the wonder noise had gone away!! But after shutting down the car and starting it up again, it was back.

My question is this, what do you think the noise is? could it be the throw out bearing? could it be the clutch or something in the tranny? im just trying to get an idea of what to look for when i pull the tranny. Thanks in advance. Any and all help will be VERY appreciated.