Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help! LS/VTEC Engine Swap but engine will not start up

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 06:20 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! LS/VTEC Engine Swap but engine will not start up

Here's the scoop! I have a 1994 integra LS and I decided to do a frankenstein on it. I bought a 1990 B18A and 1998 B18C head on the side so that I can still drive my car around while the engine is being put together. I stuffed the block with AEM 12:1 compression pistons and Crower rods and an STR block guard. The Head recieved port and polished and a 3 angle vlave jobs and with ALL the goodies available from Skunk2. A skunk2 intake manifold was installed along with 330 cc RC injectors and AEM fuel rail with a ungraded fuel pressure regulator. I am using a 9.3 mm spark plug wires with an MSD distibutor cap. I aslo installed an Unorthodox crankshaft pulley. The engine was all put together as an LS/VTEC conversion and mechanically done right. I put the engine back into the car and hooked everthing back using the stock LS wiring harness (I using a skunk2 ECU). Everything was hooked back up except for the vtec selenoid area (all the wires around that area). I went to crank the car up and it will not start. The engine turns strong but it will not start. I checked and I am get spark to each spark plug. I aslo have fuel to the engine. Fuel does come out of the fuel return line and all the injectors are ticking. I tried resetting the ECU and it still won't start. I unplugged the ECU and the the engine still turns over the same exact way as if the ECU was there. Anyone know what is wrong? Any ideas? Respond to the forum and if you can send me and email to phoang99@hotmail.com with a telephone number if you want to talk about it over the phone. Thanks! The tranny is has LSD installed.
Old 08-10-2001, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please help! LS/VTEC Engine Swap but engine will not start up (miahon)

Check your timing - both ignition and mechanical. Also - take that unorthodox pully off asap unless you have some new bearings laying around.
Old 08-10-2001, 07:46 AM
New User

Default Re: Please help! LS/VTEC Engine Swap but engine will not start up (stizzit)

What do you have the cam gears set at? Also what is you timing set at?

Unorthodox pulley is not going to destroy your bearings!!!!
Old 08-10-2001, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please help! LS/VTEC Engine Swap but engine will not start up (EVOCELICA)

Unorthodox pulley is not going to destroy your bearings!!!!
Are you sure about that? Ive seen prrof of damage with a lightened crank pulley.
Old 08-10-2001, 09:29 AM
New User

Default Re: Please help! LS/VTEC Engine Swap but engine will not start up (miahon)

I basically set the #1 piston to TDC (and also the pully mark is lined up). I put the timing belt on with both cam gears zero degree marks sitting at exactly 12 O'clock. I turned the crank around serveral times and the valves do not hit the piston. I was going to set the timing after the engine starts. Please keep enlightening me.
Old 08-10-2001, 09:32 AM
New User

I would also like to know about the unorthodox crankshaft pulley that I put on. Is it good or not? I need more proof on this. Should I remove it or not?
Old 08-10-2001, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure the cam gears line up with the line on the head (vertically) as well and that the marks at 90 degrees and 270 degrees point directly at each other.
Do you have some sort of manual like Helms or Haynes?

How about your distributor..maybe its retarded or advanced too much and thats why it wont start.
Old 08-10-2001, 09:43 AM
New User

There are only marks on the new cam gears for adjustments. I don't have the orginal cam gears to compare because it did not come with the head at time of purchase. I have a haynes manual. I still need more clarifications on this. Thanks for the help so far. Do you have better details to guide me?
Old 08-10-2001, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Even aftermarket cam gears have the marks at 90 degrees and 270 degrees which should point at each other and line up with the marks on the head/cover.

Here's an illustration (which should aos be in the Haynes)
See where it says "TDC marks aligned with marks on timing belt cover" and its circled? Thats what Im refering to. You ahve to make sure that the timing belt is not off by a tooth (or more). It very easy to think you have it right...check and RECHECK it.

[Modified by HX_Guy, 10:59 AM 8/10/2001]