Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help! Check out this B18C1 swap.. Which ECU? Mounts? Does this look right?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! Check out this B18C1 swap.. Which ECU? Mounts? Does this look right?

Hey!
I just recently bought a 1996 Honda Civic EX Coupe with a GSR engine already swapped. I know the motor is an incredible motor, but I don't know much else about swapping. The motor moves uncommonly when revving or shifting gears. So I was told to get Energy Suspension motor mount inserts. And so I ordered those for the integra(94-98, I believe) and now i think that the guy who swapped the engines used the old civic mounts. .. And the ECU. Because VTec seems to be kicking in at like 6700 rpms. The check engine light is on and the guy told me its because the computer thinks its only a SOHC but its really DOHC. And the redline is higher on the GSR motor than the civic, but when i get to 8000, my engine seems to reach its fuel limit and moves back and forth violently. I can feel this all in the shifter. I also checked under the hood and saw that he used the D16Y8 transmission. Now how is this possible? I heard it was good because it has smaller gears so it can go faster or something.. ?? I'm trying to learn this stuff as fast as I can, as it just interests the hell out of me, but I seem lost. Someone please help me out and explain to me what is the ups and downs of this. I also am looking for suggestions of what to do?

I am definately getting new motor mounts, (Place Racing is the only one I know of that has mounts for the B18C1 into 96 Civic EX, HASPORT has them i heard but their still in testing) and I was thinking of upgrading the ECU to the GSR ECU? Would I just need a GSR wire harness and ECU? Is this recommended with the D16Y8 transmission? I'm in the Chicagoland area and am also looking for a place that knows swaps and could help get me straightened out.

Please give me any information you can regarding this topic. Everything will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! =D

Thanks

..also..

How to tell what year B18C1

I've also been trying to find out what year my engine is. I asked the guy who I bought it from and he said either a 95 or 96. Is there any way to be sure. i heard I could call honda and have them run the engine serial number, but I'm not exactly sure where that is. .. Any help appreciated.. Thanks!

Old 09-06-2002, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Please help! Check out this B18C1 swap.. Which ECU? Mounts? Does this look right? (etrnlecho)

Dayum!!!!

The motor moves uncommonly when revving or shifting gears. So I was told to get Energy Suspension motor mount inserts. And so I ordered those for the integra(94-98, I believe) and now i think that the guy who swapped the engines used the old civic mounts. ..

That's what it sounds like to me. you need to get stock B18C mounts and remount the motor. i bet the steering wheel shakes at 60 mph too.

And the ECU. Because VTec seems to be kicking in at like 6700 rpms.

no vtec should kick in that high. gsr is 4500, b16 is 5500. secondary butterflies open around 6300.

The check engine light is on and the guy told me its because the computer thinks its only a SOHC but its really DOHC.

you need to find out which ecu you are running. look for the ecu behind the passenger side kick panel (near the floor under the glove box and on the passenger side) the shiny metal box is the ecu. check the little white label and see which ecu it is.

I also checked under the hood and saw that he used the D16Y8 transmission.

hmm...are you sure it's not a D16Y8 motor? does the top of the valve cover just say vtec, or does it say DOHC VTEC? a D16Y8 tranny will NOT bolt up to a B18C.

I also am looking for suggestions of what to do?

If it's not a B18C1 motor you need to go back to the guy you bought it from and get him to make amends.

I am definately getting new motor mounts, (Place Racing is the only one I know of that has mounts for the B18C1 into 96 Civic EX, HASPORT has them i heard but their still in testing) and I was thinking of upgrading the ECU to the GSR ECU?

i would just use stock b18c mounts. definately get the gsr ecu if you do indeed have a gsr motor.

I'm in the Chicagoland area and am also looking for a place that knows swaps and could help get me straightened out.

do that.

Old 09-09-2002, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Please help! Check out this B18C1 swap.. Which ECU? Mounts? Does this look right? (SuperCivic)

Don't by mounts from Place Racing or HA Sport. Use the OEM mounts from Honda.

Check out http://www.jspectuning.com/6gen for some help.

Also, check the code on the ecu. It should have a P72 in the middle. If it doesn't then you don't have a GSR ecu. I have one for sale if you need it.

Good luck dood.