Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking up my swapped del Sol tomorrow, what should I look for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up my swapped del Sol tomorrow, what should I look for?

Yeah, so the car is supposed to be ready with the JDM H22 in and working tomorrow afternoon and I intend on picking it up then...but the question is what should I look for when I pick it up to make sure everything is working just fine? I am going to take it for a test drive, but they are telling me that when I do, I shouldn't rev it high or give it full throttle because I need to break the engine and the new clutch in. I have never heard of doing this personally, but they seem to think that if I do thrash on it, that bad things might happen.

Anyways this is what I had put in: JDM H22 engine and tranny, custom axles, Rota Circuit 8's and tires, skunk2 cam gears, water pump and timing belt, ACT stage II clutch. And, the exhaust is going to still be the stock del Sol Si exhaust until I can get a muffler shop to do my custom one (either tomorrow afternoon or friday morning). So...in summation, the questions I am asking are:

What should I look for when I pick up the car to make sure that everything is running just fine? What should I do on the test drive to make sure everything is running fine?

Is it going to hurt my engine really bad if I go WOT a couple times before this 200 mile break in that they are insistent upon? What about the clutch under 200 miles? And if I am running the stock del Sol Si exhaust for a little bit, will that hurt my engine any? They say no, that I'll just lose a lot of power. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Picking up my swapped del Sol tomorrow, what should I look for? (explosive)

One thing make sure the check engine light isnt on when the car is running.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:45 PM

Well yeah, that's rather obvious. What about thrashing on it or not? Should I do it, and if I do...will it mess anything up?
Old 10-01-2003, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (explosive)

Don't forget your "I Just Paid a Shop to do My Swap" bumper sticker Just joking... I would definitely make sure that the CEL isn't on solid and functioning properly. I'd even take a small wire or paper clip and jump the connector after driving it just to see if any codes are stored.
Other than that just drive it normal and see if there are any weird noises, smoking, grinding, etc. Keep an eye on the temp gauge, look over everything under the hood and underneath for any leaks or things out of the ordinary.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:06 PM

I knew that you guys were going to give me a hard time about not doing the swap myself, but there is no way that I could find the time or the tools to do the thing myself and plus, none of my friends know anything about this, so I would be going it alone. Not a good idea on a swap like the H22.

So don't thrash on it?
Old 10-02-2003, 09:13 AM

besides all the normal stuff that has already been stated, just make sure you go easy on the clutch at first, just drive it normal ( no banging gears ) a clutch needs about 400 miles or so b4 it is cool to start really abusing it ! but its up to u, but it will be better if you do this in the long run !
Old 10-02-2003, 04:25 PM

Yeah, I did a search on cluth break-ins and everyone is saying that for the first couple hundred miles that it is a good idea to go easy on the clutch to keep it from "glazing." I don't know what that really means, but I guess I'll take it easy for a while.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:19 PM

So did you pick up your car?
Old 10-02-2003, 05:32 PM

No...the car was delayed...they tell me on Tuesday "Thursday afternoon" and I plan accordingly, and he calls me this morning and tells me that tomorrow morning (Friday), is going to be the earliest that it may be ready.

So...as a result, I won't have the time to put an exhaust setup on it until Monday at least since I don't have the time this weekend or tomorrow, and even then, I might not get it back tomorrow. This is really starting to **** me off though because I am renting a car right now and that is not cheap, and the car has been in the shop with all the parts that I needed for a week and a half now.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

carfax good luck
Old 10-02-2003, 05:57 PM

That sucks, maybe they ran into a couple problems.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:56 PM

They said that they just didn't have the shifter in like they wanted and that they hadn't touched the axles...personally, I think that it's unacceptable for how much I am paying them for it to take this long...especially for a shop that does this swap all the time.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Picking up my swapped del Sol tomorrow, what should I look for? (explosive)

Listen for motor noise at startup and make shure all the warning lights come on when you turn the key to the on position.