Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the people with B20 swaps in Cali, what do you guys do for smog?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For the people with B20 swaps in Cali, what do you guys do for smog?

I was just wondering what people with b20 swaps over here do about smog. are you basically forced to always get hooked up? anyone find a way around it?
Old 06-20-2006, 08:38 PM

Default Re: For the people with B20 swaps in Cali, what do you guys do for smog? (Wazup)

pay off the smog tech with 400 dollars.

yeah.

<--never done it
Old 06-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You have to get it done some other way then legal. A B20 in a car is by definition illegal, you can only swap an engine into your car from a vehicle of the same year of newer, that being said the B20 is considerd a small truck engine and therfore not legal.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: For the people with B20 swaps in Cali, what do you guys do for smog? (fish stick)

That's kinda funny cause a couple friends of mine were talking about if we ever get emissions over here (winchester, va) what we would do to get our cars legal... since I just picked up a b20b for my hatch last week.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (moops vs moors)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moops vs moors &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">move to AZ for the smog month.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL

Yeah, it really sucks, especially since Password JDM has b20s for $550
Old 06-20-2006, 09:02 PM
ALX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Wazup)

you have to know a guy who knows a guy and usually the one that know the guy is asian or mexican
Old 06-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It would be easier to keep your car reg. out of state with a relative or something. That is probably why the B20's are 550 from Password.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: For the people with B20 swaps in Cali, what do you guys do for smog? (fish stick)

To the OP, befreind a shady inspector

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fish stick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pay off the smog tech with 400 dollars.

yeah.

&lt;--never done it</TD></TR></TABLE>

400!?

Knock a zero off that, that sounds more like it..
Old 06-20-2006, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: For the people with B20 swaps in Cali, what do you guys do for smog? (moops vs moors)

Meh, I dont know how it is in Ca, but I know both here and especially in NYC shady inspectors are a dime a dozen.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: For the people with B20 swaps in Cali, what do you guys do for smog? (Overkill)

In my commuter car, i swapped the stock SOHC back in, took it to get smog checked, then put the B20/vtec back in the same day... i do that every time i have to smog...

Old 06-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: For the people with B20 swaps in Cali, what do you guys do for smog? (Group Tenacity)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Group Tenacity &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In my commuter car, i swapped the stock SOHC back in, took it to get smog checked, then put the B20/vtec back in the same day... i do that every time i have to smog...</TD></TR></TABLE>

for you...

but damn, that sounds like a bitch
Old 06-20-2006, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: For the people with B20 swaps in Cali, what do you guys do for smog? (d16ej8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d16ej8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's kinda funny cause a couple friends of mine were talking about if we ever get emissions over here (winchester, va) what we would do to get our cars legal... since I just picked up a b20b for my hatch last week. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It'll never happen.

They don't care about that **** over here, they'd rather harass you for windshield stickers.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:33 PM

Default Re: For the people with B20 swaps in Cali, what do you guys do for smog? (. S h ! t t y L S)

yeah man...the complexities that arise from turd polishing is not really worth it for a DD.

i mean...a gsr swap into a 94-01 teggy is reasonable...but DD'ing a H23/h22 franky on an EF is a bit of a hassle. not worth it imo, unless you don't live in CA.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: For the people with B20 swaps in Cali, what do you guys do for smog? (. S h ! t t y L S)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by . S h ! t t y L S &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It'll never happen.

They don't care about that **** over here, they'd rather harass you for windshield stickers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I hope not. Luckily cops have cut down here on a lot of bullshit tickets. I've had my evo on my ej8 since october and never been messed with about the exhaust.

About 2 years back, I got harassed about my stock si exhaust on my hatch because the tips were "shiny"
Old 06-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civic_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have to get it done some other way then legal. A B20 in a car is by definition illegal, you can only swap an engine into your car from a vehicle of the same year of newer, that being said the B20 is considerd a small truck engine and therfore not legal.</TD></TR></TABLE>
false theres a guy on here that had a B20 DC2 BARed. dont know if u guys remember his thread. he was in a car accident and was selling a bunch of stuff really cheap cuz the insurance co. was gonna pick it up, and he was selling stuff cheap +stock parts. it was a blue-ish DC2 with JDM front end, ITR doors... kinda hard to decribe the car without describing alot of other dc2's.

he said the reason u can BAR a B20 is because, altho it is a small truck, its a car chassis. dont know if its true, but he hat the BAR sticker. i didnt bother matching the VIN#'s on the car and sticker, but im assuming he was right.

BTW: this was in cali
Old 06-20-2006, 10:24 PM

Default Re: (PAStA MAAAN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PAStA MAAAN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">false theres a guy on here that had a B20 DC2 BARed. dont know if u guys remember his thread. he was in a car accident and was selling a bunch of stuff really cheap cuz the insurance co. was gonna pick it up, and he was selling stuff cheap +stock parts. it was a blue-ish DC2 with JDM front end, ITR doors... kinda hard to decribe the car without describing alot of other dc2's.

he said the reason u can BAR a B20 is because, altho it is a small truck, its a car chassis. dont know if its true, but he hat the BAR sticker. i didnt bother matching the VIN#'s on the car and sticker, but im assuming he was right.

BTW: this was in cali</TD></TR></TABLE>

this makes sense...because the B20 is not a freakishly huge motor. In a bench racing sense...its much like a ls engine which has about 10 lbs more torque with .2L of displacement. woopdy doo.

it may have more potential in terms of b18/b16 engine work and frankenstein swappage...but it is completely different as say..putting a 2.3L vtec franky torque spewing engine into a 1800 lb civic CRX...

if you tell the person who is reffing you that you just do it to get to point A to point B...well i have a hunch that he won't believe you
Old 06-20-2006, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fish stick)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fish stick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this makes sense...because the B20 is not a freakishly huge motor. In a bench racing sense...its much like a ls engine which has about 10 lbs more torque with .2L of displacement. woopdy doo.

it may have more potential in terms of b18/b16 engine work and frankenstein swappage...but it is completely different as say..putting a 2.3L vtec franky torque spewing engine into a 1800 lb civic CRX...

if you tell the person who is reffing you that you just do it to get to point A to point B...well i have a hunch that he won't believe you</TD></TR></TABLE>

that seems reasonable, but now we're just guessing here.

Anyone ever call a smog REF and ask about it?
Old 06-20-2006, 10:32 PM

illegal smog 300-700 bucks
Old 06-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (prison_snitch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prison_snitch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">illegal smog 300-700 bucks</TD></TR></TABLE>

my guy charges me 150.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:42 PM
I didn't ask for a dime.

Default Re: (Rednas)

Please bear with the obvious information for those who already know.

Entire engines can be replacement parts. As with any other replacement part, the engine must be identical to the original. If the replacement block or engine is obtained without emissions equipment, all the equipment from the original engine must be installed on the replacement block.

If the engine is not identical to the original then it is not a replacement part, instead it is considered an engine swap.

Engine swaps are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:
- The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.
- The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.
- If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.

All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine. After an engine swap, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:13 PM
I didn't ask for a dime.

Default Re: (moops vs moors)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moops vs moors &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats the smog cutoff? 1975 and earlier or is it any car that is 25 years or older? I never figured this one out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Vehicles that were manufactured before emission control regulations took effect are called uncontrolled vehicles. Aftermarket parts regulations and anti-tampering laws do not apply to these vehicles.

Uncontrolled vehicles may have any aftermarket add-on or modified part installed as long as the vehicle can still meet the tailpipe emission standards for the year of the vehicle. Uncontrolled vehicles must retain any original or retrofit crankcase control (PCV) devices and NOx device required for the year of the vehicle.

The following vehicles are considered uncontrolled vehicles:
- 1965 and Older: U.S. Manufactured California Certified Vehicles
- 1967 and Older: U.S. Manufactured Federally Certified Vehicles
- 1967 and Older: Foreign Manufactured Vehicles
Old 06-21-2006, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The bar sticker must have been for a diffrent engine and not the B20 because there is no way you can pass bar with it. As mentioned by this dude johnny it is a light truck engine, the CRV falls into the weight category of a light truck and an Integra is a passenger vehicle. Another words automatic fail for passenger cars with B20's.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:21 AM
Lan
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civic_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The bar sticker must have been for a diffrent engine and not the B20 because there is no way you can pass bar with it. As mentioned by this dude johnny it is a light truck engine, the CRV falls into the weight category of a light truck and an Integra is a passenger vehicle. Another words automatic fail for passenger cars with B20's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Should've gone h22
Old 06-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ill see if i can get ahold of my buddy who bought a rollbar from that guy who had the BARed B20 in his DC2

edit: just thought about it, the guy might have been on team-integra and not ht
Old 08-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SMOG (civic_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The bar sticker must have been for a diffrent engine and not the B20 because there is no way you can pass bar with it. As mentioned by this dude johnny it is a light truck engine, the CRV falls into the weight category of a light truck and an Integra is a passenger vehicle. Another words automatic fail for passenger cars with B20's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How to: <FONT COLOR="red"> LEGALLY SMOG ANY ENGINE SWAP:</FONT>

The best way to <FONT COLOR="red">SMOG</FONT> your ride is the legal way! We legally pass the vehicles using CNG/LPG/propane gas. The vehicles are slightly modified and passed on propane, and then, upon the owners discretion, changed back to regular pump gasoline, there are no permanent modifications done to the vehicle, the turnaround is about 4-6 hours.

We will gladly explain the conversion process to anyone who would like to convert their own vehicles, please feel free to email us at: jargon_@hotmail.com with any questions. Any engine can be legally smogged and registered. Turboed, supercharged, high compression race motors, <FONT COLOR="red">K20's, B20's, H22's</FONT>, any engine in any car.

Quick Reply: For the people with B20 swaps in Cali, what do you guys do for smog?