Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

p28 5speed ecu for an h22 automatic

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p28 5speed ecu for an h22 automatic

Hi,

i have a 90 accord lx, with an h22 automatic in it. the p13 ecu that's with motor does not function correctly, so i am thinking of getting a chipped p28 ecu instead. The car chokes when you step on the throttle (with the p13 ecu, that is), and has a code 22 (VTEC PS).

we tried a p28 auto ecu at the shop, and the car didn't choke on throttle, but still threw a code 22.

I know that the p13 looks for a knock sensor, EGR, and Vtec pressure switch (USDM ecu), but the p28 does not look for a knock sensor or EGR. i am thinking that the problem lies somewhere between those two components.

So i am thinking of using a p28, programmed with a p13 fuel map, Knock sensor, EGR, and Vtec pressure switch disabled, IAB's functioning.

But the only programs available to do this are for p28 5-speed ecus.

So my question is, would a p28-5speed ecu work in an h22 automatic? i wanted to ask first to see if anyone else has run this setup, and if they ran into any problems.
Any info would be great.

By the way, i am currently using my stock accord ECU, which really sucks.

Thanks.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: p28 5speed ecu for an h22 automatic (lordroger)

Doesn't the ecu control the shifting of the tranny?
Old 11-13-2003, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lordroger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with an h22 automatic in it. the p13 ecu that's with motor does not function correctly, so i am thinking of getting a chipped p28 ecu instead. The car chokes when you step on the throttle (with the p13 ecu, that is), and has a code 22 (VTEC PS).

we tried a p28 auto ecu at the shop, and the car didn't choke on throttle, but still threw a code 22.

I know that the p13 looks for a knock sensor, EGR, and Vtec pressure switch (USDM ecu), but the p28 does not look for a knock sensor or EGR. i am thinking that the problem lies somewhere between those two components.

So i am thinking of using a p28, programmed with a p13 fuel map, Knock sensor, EGR, and Vtec pressure switch disabled, IAB's functioning.

But the only programs available to do this are for p28 5-speed ecus.

So my question is, would a p28-5speed ecu work in an h22 automatic? i wanted to ask first to see if anyone else has run this setup, and if they ran into any problems.
Any info would be great.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok.. i dont quiet understand here.... u tried a different ecu. and ur still throwing 22.. y not just try to fix the vtec ps.?.....(obviously something is wrong with it) its prollly gonna just be 1 of a few things... its got 2 wires:
blu/blk = is the ecu signal wire.
blk is the ground wire

-reground the switch,(tap ur ground wire next to the switch and connect it to the valve cover somehow or something near by). reset ecu, & check if the light is still on.

-if it is.. take the sensor out. i believe it is a 22 mm. and replace it with another one. off of another car or something..

y dont u try that and see if it helps.

as for the an auto ecu working on a 5spd. i believe u have to modify the ecu somehow. IM katman on honda tech.. he should know.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:47 AM

Default Re: p28 5speed ecu for an h22 automatic (hondaZvic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaZvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ok.. i dont quiet understand here.... u tried a different ecu. and ur still throwing 22.. y not just try to fix the vtec ps.?.....(obviously something is wrong with it) its prollly gonna just be 1 of a few things... its got 2 wires:
blu/blk = is the ecu signal wire.
blk is the ground wire

-reground the switch,(tap ur ground wire next to the switch and connect it to the valve cover somehow or something near by). reset ecu, & check if the light is still on.

-if it is.. take the sensor out. i believe it is a 22 mm. and replace it with another one. off of another car or something..

y dont u try that and see if it helps.

as for the an auto ecu working on a 5spd. i believe u have to modify the ecu somehow. IM katman on honda tech.. he should know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have checked the wires, and tried two other switces. it still pulls a code 22, which i can't figure why. Either way, the pressure switch should not affect normal operation of the engine, which in my case, chokes under throttle when using the p13. Hopefully by disabling the pressure switch, the code will disappear.

And i wish to use a 5-speed ecu on an automatic h22. i know that h22 autos have a separate control module that controls the transmission. So theoreticlaly, the ecu is independent of transmission function. But i wanted to see if anyone has tried this kind of setup, and if any problems arose.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:07 PM

dude i know this is really late but whatever happened with yur setup cuz when i first wired my h23/vtec it was throwing same code and bogging at first. people said fix that code, i said it shouldnt affect the driving and it turns out i wired it right and it really was the problem cuz it was stuck in vtec. it was locked in. someone had removed the spring in the solenoid or somethin.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the ECU and TCM communicate with each other via three wires:

ECU B3 to TCM D13 AFSA
ECU B4 to TCM D11 AFSB
ECU A18 toTCM D16 FAS

You Can't use the P28 with the auto H22 it might run but with shifting problems, try to figure why it's the CEL is on most likely wiring and/or faulty vtec ps.