Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P13 ECU, IABs on H22 EG civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P13 ECU, IABs on H22 EG civic

Hello all,

I keep seeing stuff about not being able to run the IAB's on a H22 if using a certain ECU. Can someone summerise this a little? I have a H22 in a 94 EG civic using the P13 ECU. If I were to say swap to a P28 would I get an IAB problem? Is it just possible to remove the IAB plate from the inlet manifold or is it not that simple?

Just trying to get to understand my setup a little better, its not giving me problems but would like to know for future reference

Thanks in advance
Old 07-30-2009, 10:17 AM

Default Re: P13 ECU, IABs on H22 EG civic

Yes you will run into that problem. The P13 ecu is the only ecu that can run IAB's on the H22. However, the IAB plate can be removed from the intake manifold with little complication. Just make sure you seal it properly to prevent vacuum leaks. If you stick with the P13 ecu and remove the IABs, you will develop a CEL. This wont prevent the car form running or engaging vtec, it is just an annoying. The most common reason to "upgrade" to a chipped p28 is to be able to eliminate the IABs and EGR valve without a CEL, eliminate the wiring needed for these components, and to use a custom map to improve engine performance.

Hope this helps
Old 07-31-2009, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply, thats exactly the answer I was looking for.

Do you think its worth upgrading to a P28 for tuning reasons? Im not going to add anything to the engine its staying pretty much stock so im not sure if its worth the hassle of swapping out the ECU, socketing it and removing the IAB and EGR. At the moment I have and ELD (code 20) CEL which doesnt bother me too much from what ive read. The car does have a 2.5inch exhaust system and im thinking about replacing the stock 1.5 air box filter with a high flowing foam one. I do have a SAFC from an old project I could hook up if that would give me any gains.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:10 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lollypopking
The P13 ecu is the only ecu that can run IAB's on the H22.
I don't see any reason you couldn't run a chipped P72 (GS-R) ECU. You don't have to worry about the EGR valve this way either.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:04 PM

You have so many options from here on if your running a stock engine. Since the intake and exhaust portions of your engine system are the only factors being effected and since you already have a SAFC, upgrading to a P28 will only give you the secondary benefits. For example, an ecu chipping company I have been looking at, phearable.net, provides chipped P28 for the main purpose of flexible engine tuning but also provides several optional extras. Some of these extras include a 2 step launch control, specified vtec engagement, and increased engine redline. These extras are not provided by a piggy back computer like the SAFC and are not required by for swapping engines, but make the custom ecu appear more enticing. For engine swapping purposes, they will also eliminate the use of an external knock sensor, egr valve, IAB's, and a secondary O2 sensor. The appeal of this service is the ease the amount of wiring and troubleshooting seen by some engine swaps, such as the H22. But your swap is already completed...

Judging by the position you are in, a chipped p28 can give you some extras and increased tunability (that's probably not even a word...) over a piggy back computer, but only if you deem it necessary. Which ever way you choose, you have the ability to change it later on.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info. I'll go with the P28 eventually but can live with the CEL I have for now, the EGR CEL hasnt appeared yet but the car hasnt moved further than 20metres. I have heard theres a few oddballs that chip the P13 ECU?

From a saving money perspective would it be best to keep the P13 and put in an EGR block off plate?
Old 08-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think im going to go the P72 route.. with the 72 u have iab and egr right? or just one of them?..
Old 08-02-2009, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by djnikko
Thanks for the info. I'll go with the P28 eventually but can live with the CEL I have for now, the EGR CEL hasnt appeared yet but the car hasnt moved further than 20metres. I have heard theres a few oddballs that chip the P13 ECU?

From a saving money perspective would it be best to keep the P13 and put in an EGR block off plate?
If you are not going to wire in the EGR valve you will eventually develop a CEL, but since its only emissions related it wont dramatically effect engine performance. Replacing it with a block off plate won't do anything, so you might as well save the metal.

You can chip any ecu and tune to your liking. The only reason the P28 is seen as a "better" choice is because those ecus are aplenty, and they provide the same tuning foundation as any other vtec ecu.

Originally Posted by H22EG'z
i think im going to go the P72 route.. with the 72 u have iab and egr right? or just one of them?..
There is no EGR valve on the B18C1, which is where the P72 comes from. It does have IAB's though. There are honestly so many routes you can pick to arrive at the same conclusion, its best to follow the best deal near you at the time.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes you will run into that problem. The P13 ecu is the only ecu that can run IAB's on the H22.
Wrong.. your forgetting the p72 or gsr ecu. However you stated that it doesnt have an EGR program therefore it wouldnt be able to run the h22a BUT it will however eliminate the egr valve or bypass it which means it will be able to run the h22.

If you stick with the P13 ecu and remove the IABs, you will develop a CEL. This wont prevent the car form running or engaging vtec, it is just an annoying.
Hope this helps
You will not develop a cel by unplugging the IAB sensor. I dont know where you got that from and it will hardly affect performance. Same goes for the egr valve. You may have a check engine light for the egr BUT it will not affect performance in anyway. Its for emission purposes
Old 08-03-2009, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by raidacaipo
Wrong.. your forgetting the p72 or gsr ecu. However you stated that it doesnt have an EGR program therefore it wouldnt be able to run the h22a BUT it will however eliminate the egr valve or bypass it which means it will be able to run the h22.
This was mentioned above.

Originally Posted by raidacaipo
You will not develop a cel by unplugging the IAB sensor. I dont know where you got that from and it will hardly affect performance. Same goes for the egr valve. You may have a check engine light for the egr BUT it will not affect performance in anyway. Its for emission purposes
Your definitely right about this. I looked through the CEL codes for the H22a1 and there is no IAB related warning.