Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil check light but full on oil ?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil check light but full on oil ?!?

I need some help on this issue, I have a oil check light on, but i check the oil very frequently and its at a good level, and it has been. what i would like to know is why that darn check oil light is on and what can i do about it? everything runs fine, no harsh noises in the engine, I am just breaking stuff in since i got a 9lbs flywheel and ACT clutch so i havent gotten past 4k, but it sounds good..its a jdm h22a in a 95 LX sedan ..I have 30-40 miles on the motor since it went in ..planning to do a oil flush when i get to 1000, but is it because I have no oil pressure? or my oil lines under my crank is phucked? i mean the oil light is very bad, i just wanna know what im looking at ..i have a small dent on the front driver side of the oil pan, nothing even too nocitable ..what else can i say ...help?
Old 02-18-2002, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil check light but full on oil ?!? (chameleon)

has teh light always been on?

is the wire attached properly to the sensor?

it should not be on as the light only lights when the oil pressure is REAL low like 5-10psi...

does it ever go off? if not suspect a dodgy sensor...

t..
Old 02-19-2002, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil check light but full on oil ?!? (tinkerbell)

anyone else wanna help me figure this out ?
Old 02-19-2002, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Low Oil Pressure Indicator Lamp

Don't know about your particular car, but for a 96-99 Civic, the Oil Pressure Switch is a normally-closed switch, completing a ground for the Low Oil Pressure Indicator. So when you get in your car in the morning, before cranking the engine over....isn't the light on? It is in my car, so the switch needs to see a 'high' oil pressure before opening its contacts and turing off the light.

So why is your light on: Well, like I said previous, the light comes on when it recieves a ground from the pressure switch (or no/low pressure). So, ANY grounding (shorting, that is) of the wires that connect the light to the pressure switch could be causing this problem too. Or perhaps you really do have LOW oil pressure, or the switch is getting worn out and needing a higher pressure to open up (thats kind of a far reach though).

The circuit is pretty simple and I really don't know how much more help I can give here....wheres your Helms at?
Old 02-20-2002, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Low Oil Pressure Indicator Lamp (EE_Chris)

as of right now im hooking up my autometer oil pressure gauge and trying to see how this can definitely help, there is just no way i need a new oil pump.. i have less than 50 miles on this new engine and it would suck that i changed everything but the oil pump and its already gone ..so like i said im testing out to see what the pressure is..
otherwise the engine sounds smooth when the car is on ..no weird sounds at all, im not sure if this would make a difference if i have that low oil pressure..
Old 02-20-2002, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Low Oil Pressure Indicator Lamp (chameleon)

im not sure if this would make a difference if i have that low oil pressure..
if you have low pressure your vtec wont work
grr just ask me about that...
works now tho hehehehe

[Modified by KAMiN, 7:26 AM 2/21/2002]
Old 02-20-2002, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Low Oil Pressure Indicator Lamp (KAMiN)

yeah but my oil light stays on, yours was just at the beginning ..and yeah my pan is dented but no where near as bad that it would be holding up the pickup line or something like that ...im worried ...i can def test it out with vtec but if i have no oil pressure and im doing 6000 rpm ..wont that be kinda bad for the motor?????
Old 02-21-2002, 02:20 AM

have you tried resetting the ecu?

keith
Old 02-21-2002, 04:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about cleaning the connectors on you oil pressure sender ???
Old 02-21-2002, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Low Oil Pressure Indicator Lamp (SpooN Man)

i tried getting under the car and making sure i had a good connection, and i did the wire was tight on the screw, so im not sure if it has to do with a bad sensor..
Old 02-21-2002, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Oil check light but full on oil ?!? (chameleon)

If you were planning on hooking up an oil pressure gauge anyway, you should do that first and see what that reads, this would probably be the easiest way for you to verify oil pressure. Some other things to consider are blockage in the oil pickup, in fact I had a car come from the factory with the gasket between the pickup tube and the oil pump mis-aligned so that the pickup was partially blocked causing the low oil light to come on. Make sure nothing is stuck on the screen on the pickup tube. Honda oil pumps do not typically fail.
Old 02-21-2002, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil check light but full on oil ?!? (BadBranez)

my bet would be the sensor kinda hard to tace down shorts, but you might want to check the oil pump, it's the same as the us spec if you know anyone how might have one. best bet is to hook up a pressure guage.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil check light but full on oil ?!? (dohcsideSi)

guess what guys...
i had leak that would cause me to overheat...and i was in limp mode cuz i forgot to take the map sensor off my f22b ..and on top of that i had a oil check light ..so talk about running like shhheeeeiiiit. so the goal of the day was to bust my chops fixing whatever i could... the outcome well grrrrreat!

i finally found the hose that was leaking and took off the clamp and put on 1 of those screw on types..much better...no leaks..car would not overheat for nothing ..took it cruising in limp mode and no heat problems... that solved...
then my friend came over with his lx accord and i unscrewed his map sensor and hooked it up to my car, reset the ecu, then no check engine light... the car moved now ...no really it moved ..then i felt daring and got on WOT and whoa ..VTEC!!! screeaming!!! i was like daaaaammmm ..i dont have a oil pressure prob but a faulty sensor ...whheewwww...
only have damn 50 miles on the flywheel and clutch... so gotta lay off but damn was it addicting!! hehe ..i can sleep 10 x better now .. thnx guys.

btw ..i still dont have the 12v wire hooked up to the white plug on the driver side of the intake manifold..bad? and i get the weird idle ..bounces up and down ..is that the EGR?