Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBDII GS-R in OBDI CX problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OBDII GS-R in OBDI CX problems

My friend is helping a guy out with his swap. The motor runs but it idles and runs really choppy. When it's running you can smell the gas being dumped in. Here is what he's got done:
'96 GS-R, OBDII LS engine harness, OBDII alternator, distributor, and injectors. OBDI P72 ECU (apparently it's chipped) and a '95 CX chassis.

He's been getting an O2 error code (#1). He traced all the wires back from the O2 sensor to the ECU and they all match up in the correct pin-outs. He also checked the O2 to see if it's dead from all the gas it's been getting, but it looks like it's in working order. He checked the timing and the ignition timing was a little off, this was fixed and helped with the idle; but it's still choppy. The MAP sensor also came up with an error (#3), for no reason but has since disappeared.

My friend found something online that told him he couldn't use the OBDII distributor with an OBDI ECU, but I've never read anything about that before. Is this true? I've been searching about this for the past 3 days on 2 forums and on the net in general, so I'm not asking for help because I'm too lazy to search. I've read every OBDII swap in an OBDI chassis thread I could find (inclucing all the ones in the FAQ thread in the EG forum). So if anyone has any ideas or things to check into, maybe I've missed something; I'd really appreciate the help.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBDII GS-R in OBDI CX problems (CivicSpoon)

^*Bump*^ because I really need help on this.

My friend called Hasport and they just told him to check the O2 and MAP voltage again. He called another place and they told him to get rid of the OBDII engine harness and get an OBDI.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: OBDII GS-R in OBDI CX problems (CivicSpoon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSpoon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My friend found something online that told him he couldn't use the OBDII distributor with an OBDI ECU, but I've never read anything about that before. Is this true? </TD></TR></TABLE>

It is false. I have done it many of times.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSpoon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He called another place and they told him to get rid of the OBDII engine harness and get an OBDI. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That place is wrong. I have run a OBD2 integra harness in a OBD1. It works as long as you have the right connectors (OBD2) so it can be plug and play.

Do what hasport said first and go from there.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
I thought it was strange when he said he read that the harness wouldn't work with the distributor. And that he was told to use the other harness. Thank you for confirming this for me. I'll definently tell him to double check things, and if worse comes to worse I'll do it myself too. Thanks again for the response.