Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD2b to OBD1 = No tach

Old 09-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OBD2b to OBD1 = No tach

Car is a 2000 Integra GSR. I have an OBD2b to OBD1 conversion harness from Xenocron. My stock tach does not work. The engine harness is uncut and perfect. If I plug in the stock ECU or AEM EMS the tach works fine.

From researching this problem I found that I needed to add a 1k resistor on Pins A21 and A25 as seen in this pic:

Well I added a 1/2 watt 1k ohm resistor as instructed. Now my tach moves but it will not go past 1500rpm. If I rev the engine higher the tach drops to zero. The ECU still reads rpms correctly (datalog). Do I need to use a different resistor?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: OBD2b to OBD1 = No tach

the problem is that the tach line in the teg does not come from the distributor like earlier versions. The tach is fed from the ECU. (calculated from the other distributor sensors)

I've read multiple times that the resistor trick works, but I've never used it. When I did my swap, my solution was to run a wire from the tach line on the distributor to the tach line on the driver's shock tower. This sets it up exactly like the original OBD1 engine was.
I've had zero problems with doing it this way.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Moderator in Chief

Id rather not hack up my wire harness if I dont have to. Obviously the tach wire is present in the ecu harness so it just needs to be connected to the rpm signal from the distributor. That is essentially the same thing as running a wire directly from dist to tach. I would expect the adapter harness to do this but apparently it does not. And if running a wire directly works, then would I need a resistor?
Old 09-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i converted my car from obd2b to obd1 myself and the tach didn't work at first. All i had to do was take the stock tach wire which ran to the ecu and "T" it into one of the tach signal wires
Old 09-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your adapter harness doesn't have a double wire coming out of A21 on the OBD1 side, one wire going to A19 and the other to B13 on the OBD2 side, then it wasn't built properly. That's the ICM feed from the ECU. One goes to the ICM (duh!) and the other goes to the tach.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Moderator in Chief

Jaker - It does, and it still does not work. OBD1 A21 (ICM output) splits to OBD2 B13 (ICM) and A19 (Tach).
Contacted Xenocron. Chris had no idea. Sent me a replacement harness. That one still did not work. I did more research. Found the above resistor trick. Installed the resistor. Tach moves now but not past 1500rpm.

Here is a pic of my adapter harness with the resistor installed acording to the above diagram:

Old 09-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There must be some sort of issue elsewhere in your vehicle. We built literaly hundreds of these adapters using the exact configuration described above, and we never had any issues with tachs working or not working. I built my 1st OBD2B to OBD1 adapter back in 1999, and yes, the first one did not send the signal to the tach. Once we discovered the blunder, and included the extra connection, we never heard another word about it.

We never needed to introduce any resistors into the design. In fact, this is the 1st time I've ever heard about the need for one.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Moderator in Chief

There cant be another issue. If there was, the tach would not work with the stock ECU AND my AEM EMS (30-1010). The engine harness is stock and unmodified.

A21 the ICM output is split to the ignition control module and tach. Wouldnt that make the electrical signal rather weak? I am thinking that is the logic behind adding the 12v from A25 but with a resistor inline to limit the voltage added to the tach/ICM output.

I could try another resistor but I really dont have any other proposed solutions.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jaques is correct. It is not that your car has a problem persay, but as I stated in the other thread, I have built over 2000 of these exact harnesses and there should not be this issue. I sent you a PM. Let me know so I can pull the specs on your car to look at a couple things.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Moderator in Chief

I agree. I should not have this issue
Old 09-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Moderator in Chief

I swapped out my MSD Pro Billet distributor for the stock OEM distributor and the tach functions. Im happy to find the cause but this makes no sense. I've been using the MSD dist for over a year running the AEM EMS without any issues. The tach worked beautifully with the MSD distributor when running the stock OBD2 ECU and my old AEM EMS but it doesnt work when running an OBD1 ECU and adapter harness.

Does anyone know why the tach signal would be any different?
Old 09-21-2009, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replied to your PM. I figured that was the issue. Give me the MSD part number so I can dig more.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Moderator in Chief

Created a thread on MSD's forum for this:
http://www.msdignition.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14175
Old 10-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Moderator in Chief

Here were the combinations with the original wiring config:
OBD2 ECU + MSD Dist = tach works
OBD2 ECU + Stock Dist = tach works

AEM EMS + MSD Dist = tach works
AEM EMS + Stock Dist = tach works

OBD1 ECU + Adapter harness + Stock Dist = tach works
OBD1 ECU + Adapter harness + MSD Dist = TACH DOES NOT WORK

Problem turned out to be MSD dist but unsure why. The solution was to seperate the ICM and tach wires on the adapter harness then connect the MSD aux tach output directly to the tach wire.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Moderator in Chief

The root cause analysis from MSD:

Originally Posted by Erik@MSD
Since OBD-0, OBD-1 and some OBD-2A get the tach signal directly from the igniter the ECU doesn’t have a designated tach out. OBD-2B on the other hand doesn’t use the tach output from the Igniter. Instead it uses a designated tach output from the ECU. Since your OBD-1 ECU doesn’t have a designated tach output the manufacture of the adaptor harness simply connected the tach wire from your OBD-2B harness to the ICM (Ignition Trigger) wire. This is where it gets complicated; The ICM trigger is a low voltage trigger (about 5 volts), the Tach output wire from the igniter is a 12 volt signal. By hooking the tach wire to the ICM wire you are already giving the tach a much lower voltage signal then Norman (but it works). However when you use the MSD igniter (PN 6305) it has a different inductance then the factory igniter. This can cause the voltage from the ICM trigger (normally about 5 volts) to slightly drop. Although this slight drop in voltage doesn’t affect the function of the igniter it will affect the function of the tach which is already trying to operate on low voltage signal. This explains why your tach will work with the factory distributor and not the MSD distributor when using an OBD-1 ECU.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info

Glad you got it fixed...
Old 07-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown90hatcH
Jaques is correct. It is not that your car has a problem persay, but as I stated in the other thread, I have built over 2000 of these exact harnesses and there should not be this issue. I sent you a PM. Let me know so I can pull the specs on your car to look at a couple things.
Hello sir hope you can help me, i swap my civic 1998 with a 2000 model b20b engine equip with P3G ECU OBD1, the wiring was ready made for me, and my cluster gauge doesn't have a tach meter, i change it with vti gauge with tach meter and tach doesn't work at all, the Distributor of the engine is OBD2B and the electrician work with it told me he cannot do anything, I know that i was almost asking the same question but i just need an easiest way to do it, hope you can gave me an idea how to solved this issue, take the fact that i dont have an electrical background, hope you can spare some patience for me, thank you sir.