Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD2 to OBD1 Wiring question....Need some straight answers!

Old 11-19-2003, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OBD2 to OBD1 Wiring question....Need some straight answers!

I am about to put a 2001 B20Z into my 92 CX that has been wired for a OBD1 B16. What do I need to do? Wiring harness converter? I am planning on using a 94 and up P74 or P75 ECU. I am kind of lost on what do use. Do I use a OBD1 ECU or an OBD2? Do I use a wiring harness converter or what? Can I see some pics of some B20/EG swaps? I need to see how the wiring looks. Yes, I searched, couldnt find a straight answer
Old 11-20-2003, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OBD2 to OBD1 Wiring question....Need some straight answers! (Rockinfunzone)

use the obd1 ecu with a jumper harness. i have both of these if you are interested make me an offer. The ecu should be obd2b so you'll need the obd2b to obd1 conversion harness. and of course the p75 ecu from an obd1 car, 96 or before

Modified by Jdm Ek Hatch at 9:01 AM 11/20/2003
Old 11-20-2003, 08:44 AM

Default Re: OBD2 to OBD1 Wiring question....Need some straight answers! (Jdm Ek Hatch)

his car is obd 1. he will need an obd1 to obd 2 harness unless he uses and obd1 ecu.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD2 to OBD1 Wiring question....Need some straight answers! (Rockinfunzone)

ok just to clarify.... ur title states "OBD2 to OBD1"

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rockinfunzone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am about to put a 2001 B20Z into my 92 CX that has been wired for a OBD1 B16. </TD></TR></TABLE>

-the engine u are swapping in is obd2 or 2b... (not sure exactly).

-ur 92 CX has been wired for obd1 u say. (so u do not need a conversion harness, ur engine harness will plug into an obd1 ecu.)

-all u should have to do is modify the engine harness to fit the engine accordingly.

-the goal of OBD2 TO OBD1 is to run an OBD2 engine off of an OBD1 ecu.

get it? hope this helps.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:17 PM

Default Re: OBD2 to OBD1 Wiring question....Need some straight answers! (hondaZvic)

He's putting an OBD2 motor into an OBD1 car... He said that...

The b20z? That is the crv motor right?

In general, I would use a harness off of a 92-95 civic, so that it wil plug into your shock tower mount. And then chang the plugs for distributor, alternator, injector clips, and anything that I left out.

I like to lay the 2 engine harnesses side by side, and then work out what the final harnesses needs to look like.

-PHiZ
Old 11-20-2003, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD2 to OBD1 Wiring question....Need some straight answers! (PHiZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PHiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
In general, I would use a harness off of a 92-95 civic, </TD></TR></TABLE>
exactly,
when i said it earlier i was referring to the car's engine harness, which is what should be modified to fit the engine.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:45 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easiest way to do it, when I put my old 98 JDM B20B Orthia motor into my EG hatch.... use OBD-1 LS parts. Use the OBD-1 LS ECU, injectors (any DOHC OBD-1, even VTEC.... same 240cc), OBD-1 alternator (plug), and just repin your B20 distributor to OBD-1 plugs from your old Civic distributor - the wire colors match up. Everything else should bolt/plug right up with very minor modifications needed.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD2 to OBD1 Wiring question....Need some straight answers! (Newman)

Here is what I am dealing with as far as the plugs go. I am going to use an OBD1 LS ECU. So that will plug right in ( as soon as I do something about the cut wires ) so all I have to do is just repin the B20 distributor to OBD1? Sounds easy enough.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:52 AM

Good luck, I've seen cars junkyarded because they took this approach.
It all depends on the competancy of the person, I suppose. But wasn't your chassis OBD1 to begin with? You didn't have to cut the ecu connection AT ALL?

What gives?

-PHiZ
Old 11-21-2003, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought my car back from insurance after it was stolen. That is what the thieves did to the wires for some reason...
Old 11-21-2003, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rockinfunzone,

Here's a possible solution for you.

For one it hurts to see your ecu plug mangled like that. I had my car (92 civic) vandalized earlier this year, where some f*ckheads cut all 3 of my ecu plugs off and stole my ecu. I had the painstaking process of finding out what each damn wire does and where it goes on the ecu plugs, and bascially spliced in some new obd1 plugs. So, to help you fix your wiring, I put together a 92 specifc ecu pinout excel spread sheet here:

http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/w...t.zip

Now, since you're dropping in an OBD2a/b engine into your OBD1 civic. There's an easy solution for you. Find yourself a US OBD2 Integra engine harness and apply it to your B20 engine. Don't worry, the OBD2 integra engine harness is fully compatible with an OBD1 vehicle, minus a couple plugs (that you won't be using anyways). Using an OBD2 integra harness will allow you to keep the OBD2 electronics that are on your B20 engine....you won't need to convert anything to OBD1 -- as in the distributor, injectors, & alternator. Then, all you have to do is use an OBD1 LS ECU...and all will work in unison. There's no need to convert anything to OBD2 as far as the ecu side of things go....

[EDIT]
You cannot use an OBD2 civic harness because its a 1-piece designed engine harness, whereas, OBD1 civics & OBD1+2 integra's use a 2-piece designed engine harness. Honda was genrous enough to make the OBD2 integra engine harnesses be compabitble with OBD1 civic & integra's.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:34 PM

Default Re: OBD2 to OBD1 Wiring question....Need some straight answers! (Katman)

Sorry if I'm being lame. But what about the "civic" SI harness? Will it plug into OBD1 shock towers, like you're saying the integra harness will or no?

-PHiZ
Old 11-21-2003, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PHiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry if I'm being lame. But what about the "civic" SI harness? Will it plug into OBD1 shock towers, like you're saying the integra harness will or no?

-PHiZ</TD></TR></TABLE>

you mean a 99-00 civic Si ? NOPE...its a 1 piece engine harness.
Rule of thumb --
All US/JDM EK civic engine harness are 1 piece design (hatchback/sedan/coupe).
All US/JDM EG/DC engine harnesses are 2 piece design.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD2 to OBD1 Wiring question....Need some straight answers! (Katman)

Katman, thanks for the info. Thank you for the wiring sheet too, my dad will be most grateful! As for my cut wires. Do I need to find another set of plugs and splice them to the ends of my cut wires?
Old 11-24-2003, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 11-24-2003, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rockinfunzone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Katman, thanks for the info. Thank you for the wiring sheet too, my dad will be most grateful! As for my cut wires. Do I need to find another set of plugs and splice them to the ends of my cut wires?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no problemo..and yes, you'll need to find some new ecu plugs for your car. I suggest you find a set from a japanese EG clip with at least 4" wiring to work with.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the replies guys. The OBD2 integra harness seems like the best solution. Now all I need to do is wait for my goddam engine that was supposed to be here last week!!!
Old 12-08-2003, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, got the ECU plugs and got the OBD2 Integra engine harness today. It all seems to mount up. I will keep you posted and hopefully I wont have any problems...
Old 12-15-2003, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, the distributor plug and the OBD2 integra engine harness I got have different connectors. Seeing these different plugs means that I need an LS or GSR distributor right?
What else do I need to change? I hear I have to change to OBD1 injectors...?
Old 12-15-2003, 09:37 PM

If you look at the distributors plugs are there two on one harness, that have been consolidated into a single plug? All the wires are there, just the plug is different.

Either that or vtec distributors have more sensors.... Which could be the case, I suppose.
-PHiZ
Old 12-15-2003, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PHiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you look at the distributors plugs are there two on one harness, that have been consolidated into a single plug? All the wires are there, just the plug is different.

Either that or vtec distributors have more sensors.... Which could be the case, I suppose.
-PHiZ</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope it's just the one plug...

Does this mean I cant use a GSR engine harness because of the VTEC distributor?
Old 12-16-2003, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 12-16-2003, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, from what I understand, you have an OBD1 distributor and an OBD2 GSR engine wire harness correct? if so, you need to use an OBD2 GSR distributor, not the OBD1 distributor.

let me know if im wrong in what you have. In fact, make a list of what you have and what you're working with right now... thanks.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Katman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, from what I understand, you have an OBD1 distributor and an OBD2 GSR engine wire harness correct? if so, you need to use an OBD2 GSR distributor, not the OBD1 distributor.

let me know if im wrong in what you have. In fact, make a list of what you have and what you're working with right now... thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a 2001 B20 long block.
OBD2 integra engine harness
OBD1 LS ECU
going into a OBD1 CX

Here is the deal on the B20. It is a Japanese engine so it says B20B as the block number and has the 'giraff' intake manifod like the B20Bs. BUT it has the knock sensor and it has an '01' stamp. Only USDM B20's had the "Z" designation. So by my reconning its the "Z" with the higher comp and hp. So why does it have the different distributor?
Old 12-16-2003, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rockinfunzone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have a 2001 B20 long block.
OBD2 integra engine harness
OBD1 LS ECU
going into a OBD1 CX

Here is the deal on the B20. It is a Japanese engine so it says B20B as the block number and has the 'giraff' intake manifod like the B20Bs. BUT it has the knock sensor and it has an '01' stamp. Only USDM B20's had the "Z" designation. So by my reconning its the "Z" with the higher comp and hp. So why does it have the different distributor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no idea. Perhaps the people you bought your B20 from, swapped distributors *shrugs shoulders*. I know that a JDM OBD2 B20 engine uses OBD2a electronics, but the distributor should work with any US 96-01 integra engine harness. odd.

You don't have to worry about the knock sensor, your OBD1 LS ecu won't look for one.

So you're using a GSR engine harness on your non-vtec B20 engine setup, correct?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OBD2 to OBD1 Wiring question....Need some straight answers!