Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

obd2 - obd1 distributors, are they interchangable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obd2 - obd1 distributors, are they interchangable?

i am in the middle of an obd1 lsvtec swap into a obd2 civic and i am wondering if i can swap the dizzy from the obd2 civic to the obd1 lsvtec, thanks.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: obd2 - obd1 distributors, are they interchangable? (ID_ten_T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ID_ten_T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i am in the middle of an obd1 lsvtec swap into a obd2 civic and i am wondering if i can swap the dizzy from the obd2 civic to the obd1 lsvtec, thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

As long as the OBD2 Civic has a B series motor with distributor, then yes you could. A D series distributor will not work on a B series motor. The only thing really different between OBD1 and OBD2 distributors are the plugs. You can rewire either one to accept the proper plugs used in a swap.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:16 PM

Default Re: obd2 - obd1 distributors, are they interchangable? (VTECVillain)

thanks for the quick response, also, i would follow this image to rewire the dizzy right? thanks.

Old 12-18-2003, 08:30 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As long as the OBD2 Civic has a B series motor with distributor, then yes you could. A D series distributor will not work on a B series motor. The only thing really different between OBD1 and OBD2 distributors are the plugs. You can rewire either one to accept the proper plugs used in a swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

reading over this again, let me get this straight, a d-series will not work on a b-series motor right? not even if i rewired it. i have to get either an obd2 b-series dizzy which will be plug and play, or i can get an obd1 b-series dizzy and i have to rewire that. is this all correct? i just wanna make sure before i get working on the car again today. thanks.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ID_ten_T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">reading over this again, let me get this straight, a d-series will not work on a b-series motor right? not even if i rewired it. i have to get either an obd2 b-series dizzy which will be plug and play, or i can get an obd1 b-series dizzy and i have to rewire that. is this all correct? i just wanna make sure before i get working on the car again today. thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct, for the most part D series parts are not interchangeable with B series and vice versa. Some small things like a few sensors, injectors and such will interchange but the bolt-on parts: intake manifold, exhaust manifold, distributor, alternator, etc. will not interchange.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:41 AM

now with rewiring the obd1 bseries dizzy, is this the proper wiring diagram (from hondasavers)?

Old 12-19-2003, 08:34 PM

the wire colors are the same on obd1 and obd2. Just match the colors.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: obd2 - obd1 distributors, are they interchangable? (FastAssEG)

Honestly, i think a d-series distributor will work on a b-series....i had one on my current project(by mistake) and the car was back firing...but i had other issues...so it may work will never know i have my b16a on(thank God for that)...just my opinion.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: obd2 - obd1 distributors, are they interchangable? (fasthatch89)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fasthatch89 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honestly, i think a d-series distributor will work on a b-series....i had one on my current project(by mistake) and the car was back firing...but i had other issues...so it may work will never know i have my b16a on(thank God for that)...just my opinion. </TD></TR></TABLE>

it actually does work, I've seen it in action -- but it's a waaaay waaay ghetto setup, and the D-series distr. eventually begins to fail on the B engine. It's not worth doing unless you live in south central LA or TJ for that matter.