Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD2 D15B 3-Stage VTEC-E Into A 91 Civic - Swap Gurus ASSEMBLE!!!

Old 08-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD2 D15B 3-Stage VTEC-E Into A 91 Civic - Swap Gurus ASSEMBLE!!!

Hello everyone!

I have been toying with the idea of dropping a D15B 3-stage VTEC-E into my 91 hatch, and just recently the timing belt snapped on my DOHC ZC so I figure 'why not go for it?'

I posted in the EF Forum asking for info on this particular swap
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2306551
and I got referred over to Gassavers.org and so far nobody has done this particular swap yet. One guy has this motor but he is using an AEM EMS system in his car and I am looking to go with the OEM ECU(p2j)and wire it appropriately. Here is the contents of that thread over at Gassavers.org

Originally Posted by JesseCRX
Hello Everyone!

My names Jesse. I'm a virgo..I enjoy long walks on the beach and playing love songs on my guitar :D

I'm kiddin! I've been a lurker here on Gassavers.org for quite a while now, trying to gather information on what engine to go with for my 91 Honda Civic Hatchback. I've been into Honda cars since 97, and I've had a deep love for all things 88-91 Civic and CRX.

I went through the whole speed phase looking to get the best track times but it got to be very expensive. Now that prices on gas are hitting hard I thought it was time to rethink what I want out of my Hondas.

Just recently my DOHC ZC blew it's timing belt on the freeway(yeah, I know..I shoulda changed it but procrastination got me). So now my Civic hatch is laying dead in my driveway. So for the past 3 weeks I have been thinking about engine options like the D15z1, D16a6, D15B(92-95 SOHC VTEC), DOHC ZC(exact same replacement) and even a B16a but after reading several articles about the D15b 3-stage VTEC-E motor I decided to go with that one. I really liked the pep that my DOHC ZC had and when read that this motor not only has fuel economy but decent power as well it was the obvious choice. That and I am getting older(32 now...and I gotta think about bigger priorities like having kids..etc)

My friends and I are no strangers to doing engine swaps but this particular swap is gonna be something none of us have ever tackled before. I called Steve and Hmotorsonline.com and got my hands on this motor swap. He was telling me how this one and the D15Z1 are starting to sell like hotcakes lately(go figure!lol!)

Right now my car is wired for OBD-0 and it's my understanding that the engine I am getting is OBD-2. I hope that I can find the help I need here to wire this motor up. I know Honda-Tech has alot of great people on there but lately I haven't been getting much help and almost always get referred here when asking about the 3stage vtec-e motor. The DOHC ZC gave ok gas mileage on the hwy...roughly 30-33mpg depending on my driving mood.

Anyway, here are a few shots of the car I am going to be working on. I had to fall back on my CRX Si project...how else was I going to get to work?

The horror!:eek:

Here is what I am driving now. Stock motor CRX Si with mild suspension mods. The SOHC D16A6 gets ok gas mileage. The previous owner had it rigged with a chipped ECU and an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator and a CAI. MPG was HORRIBLE! It's ok now that I got the whole thing back to stock specs(minus header and exhaust and K&N Filter). It's got a sticky throttle cable that's getting on my nerves too

Depending on how well the D15b 3stage VTEC swap goes in the hatch I may drop the same motor into the CRX

Anyway, glad to be here and I hope to learn as much as possible.
Originally Posted by JesseCRX
I could go OBD1 and just run it like any other D15B VTEC motor but I really wanna go for the 3 stage OEM setup.

I have run into my first problem though. I cannot find an ECU schematic for the P2J ECU. You were somewhat right about the motor setup...the motor was easy to find, but the ECU is what's rare. Doesn't make any sense for motors to be plentiful yet ECU's are tough to find but I have one coming.

As of right now I am buying gaskets, timing belt, belts and whatnot but I have yet to find out what exact wiring gear I am going to need. If anyone knows EXACTLY what wiring harness I need to get this project going in an 88-91 Civic please let me know..

I already received my Innovative D-Series replacement mounts. My old mounts are in pretty bad shape so instead of spending the money on OEM mounts I bought these for $175 shipped

So now I am here in the Hybrid forum hoping to find the info I need to do this swap right.

1. Will I need a jumper harness for this swap? If so, which one?
2. Will the engine brackets off of my ZC work on this engine?
3. Will I need to run an EGR Valve?
4. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the p2j ECU?
5. Is there anyone here on HT who is running this setup??

This is my last stop for info, so I really hope I can find what I am looking for here.

Thanks guys
Old 08-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: OBD2 D15B 3-Stage VTEC-E Into A 91 Civic - Swap Gurus ASSEMBLE!!! (JesseCRX)

Subscribed, I'd really like to see this done. I think theres definately gonna be some stuff to work out as i'm not aware of anyone doing this swap yet. But if you do it you can be one of the few people on H-T who can legitimately say they did an engine swap thats never been done before. Heres a link to a thread i posted a while back, maybe it'll give you some ideas. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2359035 keep us updated.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD2 D15B 3-Stage VTEC-E Into A 91 Civic - Swap Gurus ASSEMBLE!!! (94EG8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Subscribed, I'd really like to see this done. I think theres definately gonna be some stuff to work out as i'm not aware of anyone doing this swap yet. But if you do it you can be one of the few people on H-T who can legitimately say they did an engine swap thats never been done before. Heres a link to a thread i posted a while back, maybe it'll give you some ideas. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2359035 keep us updated. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nah, there's just gotta be someone on here who has done this swap. Maybe not an OBD0 to OBD2 swap, but somebody has to have this wired up correctly.

I have found several sites where people have them wired up using an obd1 ecu and running it like a regular z6 or D15 Vtec.

When I spoke to Steve at Hmotors about doing this swap he kinda laughed and said "It's a great motor if you want a little extra pep and it's awesome for fuel economy." That's the exact reason I am doing this swap.

I've already ordered a fresh set of axles and a new OEM clutch. I just really wanna get as much stuff ahead of time as possible. So if anyone has info on jumper harnesses, sensors, plugs etc that I am going to need please post it up!
Old 08-21-2008, 11:57 AM

Default Re: OBD2 D15B 3-Stage VTEC-E Into A 91 Civic - Swap Gurus ASSEMBLE!!! (JesseCRX)

Did you ever pull off the 3-stage VTEC swap? And if so, would you recommend it?
Old 08-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD2 D15B 3-Stage VTEC-E Into A 91 Civic - Swap Gurus ASSEMBLE!!! (rayzz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rayzz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you ever pull off the 3-stage VTEC swap? And if so, would you recommend it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Motor is coming in next week. This is a project thread, so if ya wanna know what's going on with it...stay tuned
Old 08-25-2008, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to loose the 3stg functions you can run the eng like a z6, or use the obd2 ecu and retain all oem honda functions just like stock.
-Ryan
Old 08-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD2 D15B 3-Stage VTEC-E Into A 91 Civic - Swap Gurus ASSEMBLE!!! (Rywire)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rywire &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want to loose the 3stg functions you can run the eng like a z6, or use the obd2 ecu and retain all oem honda functions just like stock.
-Ryan</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll be corresponding with you via pm

Looks like I will be buying some goods from you very soon!

Engine comes in tomorrow so if I am lucky I will snap some shots of it
Old 08-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE:

Ok, the engine was delivered today and I was pretty impressed on how well it was packaged and secured to the skid. I took a few snapshots of it.

You can see how far back they cut the harness(back to the ecu?)

And here you can see the dual VTEC Solenoids. Anyone know what the gray plug is for?

Anyway, time to start replacing the usual parts this week. Stay tuned!
Old 08-27-2008, 08:18 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JesseCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone know what the gray plug is for?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd say that looks like an EGR valve.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that looks like hmotors packaging. they always look like a beehive
Old 08-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (projectTeG)

That 3 pin grey plug is egr
Old 08-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rywire)

Well, I've just spoke to Rywire via PM and I am going to be sending them both harnesses(91 Si and the JDM D15B)and have them custom make me a harness so it will all be plug n play.

In the meantime I am gonna try to get this puppy into my house. It's HOT here in TX and working in the sun SUCKS!

I am a complete NOOB when it comes to SOHC VTEC motors, and this one is no different.

I wanna know what USDM SOHC VTEC motor I can use as reference when ordering parts. Do I ask for D16z6 parts? D16y8?? What distributor and alternator would I use and from what years?

Thanks guys
Old 08-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JesseCRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JesseCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, I've just spoke to Rywire via PM and I am going to be sending them both harnesses(91 Si and the JDM D15B)and have them custom make me a harness so it will all be plug n play.

In the meantime I am gonna try to get this puppy into my house. It's HOT here in TX and working in the sun SUCKS!

I am a complete NOOB when it comes to SOHC VTEC motors, and this one is no different.

I wanna know what USDM SOHC VTEC motor I can use as reference when ordering parts. Do I ask for D16z6 parts? D16y8?? What distributor and alternator would I use and from what years?

Thanks guys </TD></TR></TABLE>

timing belt will be a vx belt. as far as the alternators it will be the sohc one of your obd, the dizzy, im not sure but since its a obd2 engine i might be the 96-00 ex dizzy, or the 92-95 one.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck, man. And keep us posted.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

update ?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:45 PM

anyone in need of 37820-P2J-003? i have one, the problem is im from manila philippines
Old 10-22-2008, 06:48 PM

if u need P2J-003,, email kulroy2003@yahoo.com
Old 10-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in for the results very interesting swap.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (661rex89si)

why do this swap when z6 is much cheaper and easier. I put this motor in my 94 coupe cause it was free.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbocivic94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbocivic94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why do this swap when z6 is much cheaper and easier. I put this motor in my 94 coupe cause it was free. </TD></TR></TABLE>

obviously you didnt read the OP's post lol
Old 11-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (661rex89si)

You could have done done obd1 to obd0 harness and put a 92-95 vx ecu but you would loose the 3 stageYou would also have to wire up the 5 wireo2 and egr valve.My friend did that same swap but we used a usdm ex manifold and a p28 alot easier. just my .02 cents.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: (lsvx92eg)

Just curious, did the exhaust manifold come with a o2 sensor in it? How many wires did it have coming out of it, if so?. If its cut, look close. IIRC, jdm obd1 or obd2 use 1 wire o2. could be wrong though
Old 12-10-2008, 03:47 PM

Was this project on hold or did it get completed?

I know gas prices are down right now, but I'm very interested in talking to someone who has done this swap succesfully.

Any info would be great on this kind of swap.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD2 D15B 3-Stage VTEC-E Into A 91 Civic - Swap Gurus ASSEMBLE!!!

I'm also doing this swap! wow-i thought i was the only one! Anyway, it seems like you've lost some momentum with yours (or at least stopped posting any progress that may be happenin').

i'm running the correct ECU, and doing the wiring myself (not enough money for rywire).

i picked up the engine for a steal--350, and the ECU for only 90.

I also have the half-harness still attached to the engine, and i picked up an OBD2 VTEC harness from a 96-98 civic, and am currently throwing them together. Hopefully something nice will come from that.

I also switched over to a hydro trans, and When i get around to it, i'll rebuild it with some close 1-4 ratios and then a nice, tall 5th...

probably a little too much for my first car, first swap, but whatever--i'm lovin every second of it!

If anybody else is interested in seeing this swap, i suppose i could pick up where he left off...
Old 01-29-2009, 07:05 PM

Default Re: OBD2 D15B 3-Stage VTEC-E Into A 91 Civic - Swap Gurus ASSEMBLE!!!

Too bad your not in So. Cal I'm so ready to work with someone on swaping out my non-vtec d15b for something better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OBD2 D15B 3-Stage VTEC-E Into A 91 Civic - Swap Gurus ASSEMBLE!!!