Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD0-------->>>OBD2 *searched* cant find any info

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD0-------->>>OBD2 *searched* cant find any info

Hey,
I definately have tried searching, and have come up with very little about this however I figure it doesnt hurt to ask. I have an obd2 b16a2 out of a us 99 civic si. I was planning on buying a 96+ hatch but due to lack of availability and the fact that I came across a sweet deal on a 91Si hatch, I now have a situation. My initial intent in purchasing the USDM B16 was to be able to do a smog legal swap, here in CA that seems to be a harder and harder thing to do. As I understand it, the smog equipment has to be up to date with the motor, however to swap it into the 91 hatch, everyting is NON OBD. Ive found some info about how to make the motor work as a NON obd (mostly in info about b18c5 swaps) but have only found one thread quite a ways back about a guy that put a b18c5 in an 88-91 hatch and converted the car to OBD2.
From what I hear, its a difficult thing to do, obviously all the wireing is completely different, but also something about the guages notbeing able to work correctly because its an electronic VSS and a multitude of other things.
My question is I guess, Is there really any way within reason and sanity to make this work? If theres no way to make this work, then I might just be better off selling the US motor and buying a cheaper JDM motor if its only going to be illegal no matter what I do, and it will be easier to swap in.
I see a lot of people talking about converting to OBD1, but i would assume that is similarly involved...but if you can go to obd1 why not obd2? Im at a loss.
any advise would be apreciated.

Brian
Old 02-28-2003, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD0-------->>>OBD2 *searched* cant find any info (The AntiRice)

I can make an OBD0 to OBD2 ECU conversion harness for that application.

Email me at kenji211@tampabay.rr.com

-kenji
Old 02-28-2003, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD0-------->>>OBD2 *searched* cant find any info (kenji)

email most definately sent!
Old 02-28-2003, 09:59 PM
New User

get a tranny fool
Old 03-01-2003, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD0-------->>>OBD2 *searched* cant find any info (simple4012)

yes, thank you for your wonderfull insight. I realize i need to get a cable tranny, among other things. Just to be sure my question wasnt mis-understood: I want to know if its possible and what would be involved to make a non obd car obd2 compliant. I know the motor can be installed into the car as it is, with the addition of some wires and some harness splicing etc, thats not my concern. My concern is if there is no way to make it work as it sits (besides the tranny duh) then im just going to sell it. I guess I will have to call the BAR and see what they say also about it.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2003, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TTT

SOMEONE has to know SOMETHING. At least shed some light on making an obd0 car OBD1, I know people have done that! lol thanks.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heh..
Old 03-03-2003, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can set the car up to run a complete OBDII motor and ECU. It will take some extra wiring and headaches but since your in CA and need it to be smog legal then that's the only way to do it.
Definitely talk to Kenji about the jumper harness which will save you a lot of time and wiring hassles. Since the VSS is electric and goes to the ECU, you will probably need to get a JDM CRX SiR gauge cluster that has the electric VSS. Then you'll need an electric VSS to put on the cable tranny that you intend to use.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD0-------->>>OBD2 *searched* cant find any info (VTECVillain)

thanks for the responce. I knew the thing about the VSS and having to swap over the guages, kenji said in his email something about a fuel tank pressure sensor and my guess is a few others that this car just doesnt have and probably cant have. ROCK<<<<me>>>>hard place
Old 03-03-2003, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There have been a few people that talk about throwing the Code 91 which is the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor low input when using and OBDII ECU. Since that sensor isn't there and you might not be able to install it (???) there has to be a way around it.
I've not had to deal with this problem in any of my cars, or swaps that I've worked on but I'll bet there is a way around it. The ECU probably looks for a certain voltage range for that sensor so by using a resistor of the right value, you could probably fool the ECU into thinking that it's working properly and not get a code. I'll have to look into this more just out of my own curiosities.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD0-------->>>OBD2 *searched* cant find any info (VTECVillain)

is there any place you can recomend that has any info on this? I know it has to have been done before, I just cant find any real info. I want to be able to run the ecu, injectors,distributor etc, everything. Bottom line is i have to talk to the BAR or a smog ref and ask them what the deal is. That should be fun.