Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD0 to OBD1 conv. for 88CRX for B18c turbo?? answers needed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD0 to OBD1 conv. for 88CRX for B18c turbo?? answers needed!

alright,,, i did a search on this topic and didnt find what i needed to know.
i have a 88 DX CRX with a b16 in it right now. pr3 ECU HASPORT harness and currently OBD0....
i want to make the car a little faster... im putting a b18c into it and running a drag3 turbo kit. --now please dont flame the turbo kit for whatever your insignificant reasons are..
everyone says to go to OBD1 to run that engine properly, that doesnt make sense to me whatsoever. i plan to run low boost, like 7-9psi until i rebuild the engine. if i have a full MSD ignition setup,(msd 6al, MSD cap for exteranal coil, MSD external COil, MSD boost/ignition reatard system) ill get the Pr3 rechipped, a VAFC, the greddy 4 wire A/f meter, all the proper gauges,EGT gauge, boost controller,, basically all the stuff to properly see what the cars doing and have the right stuff in it to tune it,, why is the OBD1 converison needed? i do plan to rebuild the engine and run much higher boost levels,, would the OBD1 conv. be needed then to run a standalone fuel managment? so do it now and save money later? lets say i get the OBD1 conversion, that would use a rechipped P28 ECU? would it be a pain in the *** to wire in a VAFC?? hopefully someone can clear all these unanswered questions up for me..if its a pain in the ***, screw it, ill sell the CRX and buy a EG!
thanks to all that help me out!
Old 01-27-2003, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD0 to OBD1 conv. for 88CRX for B18c turbo?? answers needed! (JDM CRX)

I'd just get the Zdyne stand alone and call it a day. You'd have a better running, more reliable motor. IMO, a standalone is the first investment you should make on a turbo engine...especially that turbo engine.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:45 PM

Default Re: OBD0 to OBD1 conv. for 88CRX for B18c turbo?? answers needed! (Lsos)

Zdyne for what? the OBD0 harness running the turboed GSR? or the Zdyne for the OBD1 harness running the turboed GSR??
Old 01-28-2003, 04:04 AM

Default Re: OBD0 to OBD1 conv. for 88CRX for B18c turbo?? answers needed! (JDM CRX)

Actually this isnt a big thing to deal with most people will say its a hassle becuase they havent done it. Its not that hard. Your gonna need to run an obd1 or obd2 distributor instead of an non obd one. Also depending on the injectors you use you might have to rewire for no resistor pack, unless you have peak and hold injectors in there. goto http://hondata.com/techinjectorwiring.html and you'll see what I mean. (most likely you'll decide to use peak and hold)

The chipped DOHC spec p28 would do fine but rember you wont have controls of the dual butterfly system. The only benefit i see in switching to obd1 is that the p28 is a little bit easier to change and get custom programming done. Also note that the p28 does not have knock cotrols so it might be a good idea to get a p72, since you are going turbo.

The p28 can be chipped with the same specs as the p72 but again no knock sensors or secondary butterfly controls.

If your intreasted I have a set of obd1 ecu plugs. You can use these with a junk ecu to make your own conversion harness. I also have the ecu diagrams for all hondas and integras up to 2001.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:14 AM

Default Re: OBD0 to OBD1 conv. for 88CRX for B18c turbo?? answers needed! (xsolidcellx)

ya know what, i always forget to post the simple fact that i will be running a skunk2 mani,,, i friggin hate that stock POS GSR mani,,, ive never used one and will keep it that way! lol,,, just getting out some anger towards that POS.
---so basically run OBD1 distributor and injectors,,, get master kenji or someone to wire my harness for OBD1, il have him rechip one of my P28s and ill have him wire in the one half of my VAFC so its all plug and play. untill i get a standalone next year when i run more boost. also have him wire it so i dont have to use the injector resistor box i guess.
sound good for now??? cuz then i i could use the AEM EMS when i get the engine rebuilt,, and yes im going to run the AEM EMS its will be OBD1 and that thing is the **** from what ive read/people said! thanks to all that have helped me out so far!
Old 01-28-2003, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

don't remove the injector resistor box. once you are running more boost you will want to get higher flow injectors and most of them are the peak and hold type which require the resistor box.

if you plan on going with the aem ems you actually have the choice wether to change to the obd-1 distributor. the ems can be configured to run either.
Old 02-01-2003, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD0 to OBD1 conv. for 88CRX for B18c turbo?? answers needed! (racerxadam)

I have an OBD 1 conversion from OBD0 in my 90 CRX SI.

This is how I did it:

First off, you have a Hasport harness since you have a POS DX & that was a good move. Basically same harness as mine... remember that.

Now... I got an OBD 0 to OBD 1 conversion harness from Raver Motorsports. The harness came w/ EVERYTHING I needed to plug in an OBD 1 ECU. My choice was a Hondata'd stage 4 P28. (B20/Vtack)

I hooked up the 6 extra wires that came out of the harness; 2 vtecs & my 4 02 wires. I also changed the wiring on my OBD 1 dizzy to plug right into the SI harness.

I kept my injector resistor box.

I switch back & forth btwn my Hondata'd P28 & my AEM EMS to see which one works better. I like them both for individual things. Pros & cons from both... bleh.

If you have any questions about my setup... please ask. I try my best to answer them.

Pete