Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

obd0 motor 96 ek

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obd0 motor 96 ek

Sorry if this question is kinda noob but im kinda left in the dark and learning DIY so bear with me...

Ok so here it goes. I got a 96 ek hatch with the obd0 b16 head thats ls/vtec. I got it for a cheap price but the wiring is so f'd up everything in the harness is tapped and taped in the end of this mess they made it convert to obd1. I have random cut wires just hanging there and some wiring not even plugged into the obd1 clip. They made it so it runs fine on the SOHC ecu p06 no problems but when I plug in a chipped DOHC p28 the vtec kicks in till the engine heats up then it boggs and idles like at 500... and some times dies.

So my plan is to start diagnosing is to where i get my wiring legit since this wiring job is so f'd up and to replace the whole f'd up electrical taped engine harness with a obd2a engine harness. What problems will i run into when trying to hook it up to the obd0 head? Will I need any conversions? I plan on jumping the harness with a obd2a->obd1 clip over to use the obd1 ecus. Is it even possible to plug the obd2a harness to the obd0 head?

Any help would greatly be appreciated... </3 wiring.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: obd0 motor 96 ek (toxicsynergy)

use your stock motor harness that came out of your car and add vtec,vtec pressure switch

and rewire iat sensor so you can use the obd1 sensor

and change the injector plugs to obd0-1 injector plugs
Old 08-03-2008, 07:03 PM

Default Re: obd0 motor 96 ek (LA_HONDAS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LA_HONDAS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">use your stock motor harness that came out of your car and add vtec,vtec pressure switch

and rewire iat sensor so you can use the obd1 sensor

and change the injector plugs to obd0-1 injector plugs</TD></TR></TABLE>
Actually I am using the harness thats in it right now the cut and wierd jacked up harness and there were vtec wires to it but i dunno if its legit so i direct tapped it.

Now i still have the bogging problem.

Main question is can i use the legit obd2 wiring harness on that obd0 motor? thanks.

Modified by toxicsynergy at 6:07 PM 8/4/2008
Old 08-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toxicsynergy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Actually I am using the harness thats in it right now the cut and wierd jacked up harness and there were vtec wires to it but i dunno if its legit so i direct tapped it.

Now i still have the bogging problem.

Main question is can i use the legit obd1 wiring harness on that obd0 motor? thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

to make it easy for you find a new 96-98 civic motor harness (if you could find a ex or si harness so you dont have to add vtec,vtec pressure and/or knock sensor wires ) and buy a obd2a to obd1 conversion harness

and your problems will be fixed

yes a obd1 harness will work on a obd0 motor but it aint gonna work in your car

note 99-00 harness aint gonna work unless your change you dash harness to 99-00
Old 08-04-2008, 05:06 PM

Default Re: obd0 motor 96 ek (LA_HONDAS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LA_HONDAS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

to make it easy for you find a new 96-98 civic motor harness (if you could find a ex or si harness so you dont have to add vtec,vtec pressure and/or knock sensor wires ) and buy a obd2a to obd1 conversion harness

and your problems will be fixed

yes a obd1 harness will work on a obd0 motor but it aint gonna work in your car

note 99-00 harness aint gonna work unless your change you dash harness to 99-00
</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry ya i meant will he obd2 harness ^^^ that was a typo but thanks man for your help!
Old 08-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toxicsynergy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

sorry ya i meant will the obd2 harness ^^^ that was a typo but thanks man for your help!</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes it will but to make the vtec and vtec pressure wires about 4" or so longer

if you get a vtec harness