Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OB2B civic, OBD2A EMS, OBD1 motor -> wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OB2B civic, OBD2A EMS, OBD1 motor -> wiring questions

I searched for ODB2a/b but I didnt find much...

I have a stolen/stripped 2000 civic hatch, 1994 jdm h22a, and an aem ems 10-1020 (obd2a). I need to mix and match this stuff and make it work.

The motor has no harness (I had to put it back on my old accord when I sold it), the civic has no ECU plugs (only that green plug that I am guessing connects the main harness to the interior harness?), and the ems is obd2a because originally I was using it on my 1997 civic.

At this point I am not sure what I should do. I wanted to build this civic as more of a hotrod car so the wiring wasn't too much of an issue, but now I have backed off on my plans a bit and want to build a SFWD style car instead...so things need to work.

I know I basically have two options, either try to rebuild the car back to OEM (new intermediate harness or whatever you call the harness that goes from the ECU to the engine harness), then use some sort of OBD2B->OBD2A jumper so I can use my AEM...or I could just OBD2A intermediate harness so that it would plug right in to the AEM. Which engine harness would be the easiest (and cheapest)?

My question becomes then, if I converted to OBD2A would I have to change all my dash wiring and whatnot as well? Would the interior harness with the green plug that is already in the car be able to stay, or would it just become a nightmare?

Also, hypothetically, if I converted to OBD2A would that cause an emissions testing failure if the car was converted back to stock? Obviously the H22 is going to fail no matter what, but lets say I borrowed the motor out of my 1997 hatch for testing...would the 2000 hatch fail because its supposed to be ODB2B?

Again, I originally just wanted a race car, but now I am thinking more street car...which means it would be nice if I could register it. We have two year registration here so if it would be nice if I could wire the car in a way that I would be able to swap between the H22 and a stock motor as needed (even if I need to buy a 99-00 motor).

Last question. I have a OBD2A->OBD2A pass through harness I made so I wouldnt have to hack up the OEM wiring with my AEM. Are the plugs for ODB2B the same? I have read conflicting info on this site...as long as I can still use the female end of the OBD2A harness I could just rewire to make it odb2B compatible? Or are the plugs themselves actually different?

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:26 PM

Default Re: OB2B civic, OBD2A EMS, OBD1 motor -> wiring questions (bomber)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bomber &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Last question. I have a OBD2A-&gt;OBD2A pass through harness I made so I wouldnt have to hack up the OEM wiring with my AEM. Are the plugs for ODB2B the same? I have read conflicting info on this site...as long as I can still use the female end of the OBD2A harness I could just rewire to make it odb2B compatible? Or are the plugs themselves actually different?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope. OBD2A uses plugs A, C, and D. OBD2B uses plugs A, B, and C.

We make a plug n plug OBD2B car to OBD2A ecu harnesses (and vice versa).

http://www.boomslang.us/obd2obd2.htm
Old 09-03-2004, 12:27 PM

Default Re: OB2B civic, OBD2A EMS, OBD1 motor -> wiring questions (bomber)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bomber &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
My question becomes then, if I converted to OBD2A would I have to change all my dash wiring and whatnot as well? Would the interior harness with the green plug that is already in the car be able to stay, or would it just become a nightmare?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't try it. Use a 99-00 Civic harness.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:45 PM

Default Re: OB2B civic, OBD2A EMS, OBD1 motor -> wiring questions (boomslang)

So it sounds like the female plug will work fine, just require rewiring?