Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noobie question: is it really that "hard" to swap engines?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noobie question: is it really that "hard" to swap engines?

Forgive my redundancy post on this forum, but i'm an aspiring noob wanting to learn the ropes on engine swapping... my concern is whether or not the whole task of swapping an engine really that hard?

To make it more simple, what about jus swapping with the same exact engine?

Could some experience swappers pass me a little advice in a few words letting me know what the whole process entails... or am i jus a little over my head here?

The reason why i ask is because i had posted in the other forum that my timing belt snapped on me at 60MPH, i replaced it... the car starts and runs... but i feel a new engine is in order.

I'm still a noobie when it comes to working on cars, but very capable of learning. It's jus i never really had to do an engine overhaul before.

On another note, which engines can i swap into my 91 accord ex sedan?

[Modified by dclub01, 9:55 PM 3/22/2003]
Old 03-22-2003, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Noobie question: is it really that "hard" to swap engines? (dclub01)

swapping the same engine in is easy, with a little help you should be able to get it done in an afternoon. basically put the car on lifts, drain oil, coolant, tranny fluid. take out axles, unhook everything from engine. all wires, starter, hoses. hook the engine up to the lift.

remove engine mounts, and pull the sucker out. reverse to install.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Noobie question: is it really that "hard" to swap engines? (dclub01)

So for same engine it would be "easy"... what about another engine?

Can someone give me a short version of what needs to be done, and possibly the technicality level needed to accomplish such?

Thx again!
Old 03-22-2003, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try http://www.c-speedracing.com in their "how to" section you'll learn a few tricks to swap a b18c into a eg.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Noobie question: is it really that "hard" to swap engines? (sleeperciv)

It's very easy until you run into a problem. There are always problems.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Noobie question: is it really that "hard" to swap engines? (beta13)

I really have NO experience with deep motor tech, BUT I am doing a EG/GSR swap right now! Cx motor is out and tuning the GSR up in the morning. Learned a hell of a lot already and the GSR motor has not really even been touched yet.

Here's what I have:
--Digital camera to take pics of the problems
--Helms manual
--HT! All the help you'll need
Old 03-22-2003, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Noobie question: is it really that "hard" to swap engines? (Hybrid93Hatch)

your not going to run into any problems that require years of engine building/tuning skills to overcome. Most of the problem you run into will be basic trouble shooting stuff that you could easily figure out/fix with a little help. I'm in the middle of my first swap, and I've been told it's one of the more difficult swaps out there. But I haven't run into anything that I haven't been able to overcome with a little thought and time. Plus, swaps are getting more popular, so there's a whole slew of resources out there.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Swapping an engine is only as hard or easy as you make it. I advise doing plenty of research before taking on this task. Just find everything you could possibly need as far as maintenance, and instructions on removing and installing the engine goes. If you haventdone a lot of work on your car, i wouldnt advise this. Also with some help, the swap will go along faster.

You can also use this site as a reference http://www.c-speedracing.com/ . Good luck