Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob help with 5th gen B16a swap and more!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob help with 5th gen B16a swap and more!

im planning on selling my current car and buying a very high milage 5th generation civic to do a b16a swap. im fairly new to the civic engine swapping stuff i would just like to gain all the knowledge i can before attemptiong to do such a swap. i have been looking around at prices and what not for like a swap "kit". what other things will i need other than the kit. i have talked to a few people and they say there are a lot of hidden costs. also is there brake parts and steering parts i should also replace while i have the engine out? http://www.hmotorsonline.com/s...30005 that is the kit i was looking at. what else would i need to complete the swap. a list and prices would be very nice and i see that it says "LSD Tranny +300" what is the difference with this tranny and the other one it would come with? any info you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated. also is that a good place to buy motors from? better prices any place else?

thanks
devin
Old 04-16-2004, 10:23 PM

The steering and brake parts would remain the same. If they are old and need replacement, now would be a good time to do that.

The LSD (Limited Slip Differential), is an attachment TO the tranny itself. It's not a different tranny. What it does, is prevents one wheel from spinning more than the other, helping with traction during take off; preventing wheel spin.

And YES, honda motors is great. Steve is a good guy, he'll treat ya right.

Old 04-17-2004, 07:08 AM

Default Re: (zensoku207)

thanks for the reply . what specificly would i want to replace? where can i buy these parts? and is the LSD worth it? im not planning on racing or doing that i just want a retively quick car. see im 17 and planning on being a mechanic. i just need to run all this by my parents so they know what everything is going to cost. the sooner i can get a list together, printed off so they can see the sooner i can get this project on the road. keep the info commin!

thanks
devin
Old 04-17-2004, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if the brakes are wore out I would definatly replace them its going to be fairly quick and you need to stop so if somethings wore out replace them...what model civic is the one your looking to buy cause the b16 is going to have a 8200 rpm redling your going ot want to get a tach so you dont keep hitting the rev limiter, when my buddy rick got his swap from steve at hmotorsonline....good guy the swap came with just about everything all i remember going to buy was a short ram intake like the ones at autozone that are just as good as the 300 dollar ones and you have to kinda make a bracket for the throttle cable on the intake manifold to bolt it on...the motor should plug in but i know you have to wire up some things differently, i cant remember exaclty what they are if you do a search there are several posts with help on doing b16 swap into a 5th gen... and yes lsd is worth it cause at the track with rick had huge traction problems like spining tires into 3rd and 4rth
Old 04-17-2004, 09:16 AM

Default Re: (awdturbolaser03)

people that have done this before what is the general cost to do a complete b16a swap? what would you guess it would cost to do in a 5th gen with that engine kit i posted up top. what do i need to do for exhaust. can i buy header and a full cat system that will bolt on? and when buying that intake what model car do i buy it for? 90-93 integra? i want this car to be somewhat of a sleeper and i HATE loud exuast...im looking for a semi deep tone but as quiet as possible. is there any other MAJOR parts i need to purchase other than that kit? also is it possible or cheeper to do a b16a1 swap with a cable transmission in a 5th gen civic? i saw hasport has cable tranny conversion kits but there like 400 bucks...may not really be worth it. what do you guys think i should do? also how much weight/speed difference is there between the hatch, coupe, and sedan. keep the info commin!

thanks
devin
Old 04-17-2004, 11:42 AM

The tranny decision is really up to you. It depends on what you like more, hydro or cable.

But chances are a tranny is going to cost more than the conversion kit. If you look around, you may be able to find one used for less. hth
Old 04-17-2004, 12:50 PM

well will i be able to use either one on a 5th gen civic? what one will cost more to do?

thanks
devin
Old 04-17-2004, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (capitan-d)

i just did a b16 2nd gen in a 5th gen. The complete swap with lsd shipped from hmotorsonline was somewhere 2900. Its a direct swap. just follow the swap list on hasport for like rad hoses from a del sol and stuff. very easy
Old 04-17-2004, 06:47 PM

Default Re: (doublejz)

cool thanks for the info. any tips n tricks for the project or is it pretty straight forward? should i replace like tierod ends and all that jazz too. i dont know anything about that crap but i think they get worn out dont they? lol get me on aim some time i would love to ask you some questions. h311s y3ah. the ells are ones. is the wiring pretty easy? more info the better

thanks
devin

where do i get the correct air intake and what do i need to do for exhaust?

Modified by capitan-d at 4:21 AM 4/18/2004
Old 04-17-2004, 06:52 PM

pretty much if you get a swap from them they hook you up with everything you need. Since you have an eg, its already got the wiring (errything but the knock sensor), so youd be all set.

As far as tie rods, etc, you don't have to worry about those until you feel it in your steering.

Old 04-18-2004, 11:44 AM

can someone link me to the right cold air intake, header and exhaust system i should buy. im just confused on what you buy bolt ons for...the car or the engine? when i do this will the stock exhaust manifold bolt up to the cat or will i have to make some modifications? how much of a difference does LSD make?

thanks
devin