Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy engine after swap...............help........................... .d16y8 into 91 crx

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy engine after swap...............help........................... .d16y8 into 91 crx

Hello everyone, I just recently swapped a d16y8 into my car the other weekend. I just got it wired and it fired up no problem. I converted my stock si harness with a harness from blown90hatch, and added 8 wires and connected a p28 ecu.

I fire the motor up, and there is a rattling noise coming from the motor. I was assured that the motor was in excellent working condition when I bought it. I was told it has 30k miles on it, but when i did a carfax on the engine vin it showed 70k miles.

I did not get a chance to wire the error code switch in, so the check engine light stays on all the time. I am going to wire in the toggle switch that makes the check engine light be my led for my error codes tomorrow to see if it is throwing any codes.

It does not sound like noisy valves although the valves are noisier than my old si motor. I figure I would go ahead and check/adjust them anyways.

I thought i remember everyone saying when you swap a motor and connect the ecu, it may run a little rough untill the ecu gets all the readings from the engine and smooths out the idle.

Any suggestions? I am about to take the camcorder and film the thing running then post it on here so you all can hear it.

I am excited that it started right up, but this noise is scaring me. Worst case scenario I will have to have the lower end rebuilt.

Any suggestions on what to check/look for??

Thanks
Steven
Old 02-06-2002, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Noisy engine after swap...............help........................... .d16y8 into 91 crx (cbrman)

Ok i wired in the switch for the check engine light.

I get a 10 second engine light come on, goes off for 5 sec, pops up again and stays on for 5 seconds, then flashes 9 times.

What does this mean??????
Old 02-07-2002, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Noisy engine after swap...............help........................... .d16y8 into 91 crx (cbrman)

nobody knows anything about error codes... Come on help me out here please....
Old 02-07-2002, 12:04 PM

What noise do you hear???

If its a constant ticking sound and goes faster with revs, then it coukd be.
1. Valve lash might need adjustment
2. Too much ignition initial advance and engine is knocking.

IF its just making some ticking sound at certain revs then it could be
1. Still a little advance for ign timing.
2. There is something loose in any of the reciprocating parts. (rocker arm and shaft)

Hope this helps out

Old 02-07-2002, 12:04 PM

error codes should be a long pulse which is the first digit of the error number then short pulses which is the second digit of the error number and it keeps repeating.

so ------ ------ --- --- --- would be like code 23 for an example hope this helps
Old 02-07-2002, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Noisy engine after swap...............help........................... .d16y8 into 91 crx (johnd)

johnd, The noise I am not concerned with is not the valves I dont think. The vtec head/valves appear to be a little louder than my old a6 motor.

The sound is like a vibrating/rattling noise. My dad does not seem to think it is a rod knock or anything like that. When i got the motor, I removed the timing belt and put the other one right back on. The top timing gear had the timing marks even with the top of the head as indicated in the manual. On the crank, I had it at the timing mark also as indicated by the manual. Actually, I rotated the motor untill it was at tdc, and the timing marks all ligned up, so i just removed the belt, then put the new one back on making sure the cam gear and crank did not rotate. Soooo the timing is at stock settings. But I will check the timing and see if that is causing the knocking noise.

I never broke the motor apart except for removing the valve cover and replacing the waterpump/timing belt, so all bottom end/ valvetrain components should still be intact and properly torqued from honda. I was going to do the valves anyway just to make sure they were properly adjusted, but havent done so yet.
Old 02-07-2002, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Noisy engine after swap...............help........................... .d16y8 into 91 crx (OneSunk

OneskunkCivic.

I understand what you are saying. I will try that again tomorrow and see what it is.

So does it flash one long engine code before starting with the errors?

In my case, the light comes it is like this ------------------------ ---------- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Does the initial long light indicate that it is going to start showing the error codes???

If so i am getting a 19 code.

If not i am getting a 29 code.

Also where can i find out what these codes mean?

Thanks for your input guys. I really appreciate it. What should the timing be set at for a stock sohc vtec motor????

Thanks
Steven
Old 02-08-2002, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Noisy engine after swap...............help........................... .d16y8 into 91 crx (OneSunk

Well i got the vibrating/rattling noise taken care of. The exhaust downpipe bracket that bolts to the block was loose and rattling. Fixed that and no more loud rattling/knock.

I am getting a 29 error code. The list on honda hybrid does not have a 29 error code.

Anyone know what that is?????

Thanks
Steven