Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no vtec (did some troubleshooting...see inside)

Old 07-28-2007, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default no vtec (did some troubleshooting...see inside)

setup is a built ls/vtec in a 97 ek coupe, which had a y8 so the vtec wiring was there.

i have 30 miles on the motor and tried to cross into vtec for the first time today, ran right up to 6500rpm and no x-over.

so far i followed the helms troubleshooting and found....
-resistance at power wire is within range
-resistance on pressure sensor is within range
-solenoid clicks when jumped with 12 volts
-if you rev to 3k and jump the solenoid it seems to click over and the car bogs and almost stalls.

im running 10w-30 dino oil at the moment for break in, and i will be changing it tomorrow.

i accidentally crossed the wires to thevtec oil pressure sensor when extending them, but based on the type of sensor i believe this shouldnt matter? although i will be fixing that before i go any further.

any ideas? im really lost here.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: no vtec (killerpenguin21)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by killerpenguin21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">setup is a built ls/vtec in a 97 ek coupe, which had a y8 so the vtec wiring was there.

i have 30 miles on the motor and tried to cross into vtec for the first time today, ran right up to 6500rpm and no x-over.

so far i followed the helms troubleshooting and found....
-resistance at power wire is within range
-resistance on pressure sensor is within range
-solenoid clicks when jumped with 12 volts
-if you rev to 3k and jump the solenoid it seems to click over and the car bogs and almost stalls.

im running 10w-30 dino oil at the moment for break in, and i will be changing it tomorrow.

i accidentally crossed the wires to thevtec oil pressure sensor when extending them, but based on the type of sensor i believe this shouldnt matter? although i will be fixing that before i go any further.

any ideas? im really lost here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I world check for continuity from the vtec wire at the ecu plug out to the solenoid. The oil you are using is not the problem. Also, what ECU are you running? OBD-2 takes longer to throw a code for Vtec issues then OBD-1. You might need to run it up a few times and hold the RPMS over 6,500 for a few seconds to set a code with OBD2 ECU's.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: no vtec (Hybrid96EK)

i did check the continuity at the power wir out at the solenoid and it was fine.

sorry i forgot to mention is a chipped/converted p06 with a basemap made for my setup by a well known tuner hooked up with a rywire jumper harness.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump...all the electronics check out.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ALL electronics obviously DON'T check out or it would be working. Thats kind of obvious, wouldn't you agree? If you can manually power the solenoid and it activates everything like it should, you know that mechanically you are fine. For whatever reason your ECU is not powering up that solenoid like it should. The most obvious reasons would be poor wiring/connections. Perhaps you have continuity but you have a poor connection somewhere? I had the same thing wrong with my car. Everything SEEMED fine, but obviously wasn't. Turned out the pin in the harness wasn't making a good conection to the ECU. Of course, this didn't show up with a multimeter either. Plug the harness into the ECU, remove the top ECU cover. Check continuity on the back of the plug block to the vtec solenoid and verify the connection to the ECU is good.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when you hit the vtec x-over rpm you can hear a change, but not full vtec, thats why after checking continuity it seems it should be fine...i need to get my oil pressure gauge on tomorrow.

what pin powers the solenoid at the ecu?
Old 07-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Perhaps you have something else going on then. CLogged exhaust/cat, incorrect timing, etc. Its not going to half *** work. It either works or it doesn't, you know? If there is enough oil pressure for the ECU to activate Vtec, then you shouldn't have any need to hook up the gauge. Check the screen also. I have never personally had a problem with the screen, but some people have reported issues with debris clogging the screen.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeha i knew about the screen, and need to check it. i figured i would hook up the gauge and see if there is enough pressure to activate, and if there is if the pressure holds.

i would think i could definetly hear it engage with pro 1 cams...
Old 07-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so update...i wired vtec onto a switch and here is what happened...

first few pulls nothing happened...after like 3 or 4 tries, click the switch and i hear a little vtec pop...then a little more and now it sounds constant on all pulls, and the car definetly pulls harder once i flip the switch, and there is a definite sound of vtec engaging...i think i just expected it to be louder with such big cams?

ill report back.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by killerpenguin21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok so update...i wired vtec onto a switch and here is what happened...

first few pulls nothing happened...after like 3 or 4 tries, click the switch and i hear a little vtec pop...then a little more and now it sounds constant on all pulls, and the car definetly pulls harder once i flip the switch, and there is a definite sound of vtec engaging...i think i just expected it to be louder with such big cams?

ill report back.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ummm, no. Sound doesn't dictate power production. Want it to be loud? Make it come on like 7,000rpms.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no i understand sound doesnt dictate power, but i would have thought with sri and big cams it would be a tad louder, but then again im not tuned yet fully. i just want to make sure it is working properly before i go off for my tune. so i guess since it engages and holds its fine, just need to make sure its working with the ecu too.