Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NJ MVC Inspection and hybrid Honda

Old 10-15-2005, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NJ MVC Inspection and hybrid Honda

Just FYI.

I recently passed inspection at a NJ MVC facility (in Eatontown, NJ) with a swapped b18c1 1992 Civic Cx hatchback (OBD1). The car passed a year ago with the swap (at the Lakewood MVC facility), but there were no exhaust modifications at the time (oem sized catalytic converter and stock 1 3/8" exhast back).

Since, I've installed a DC 4-1 (JDM/off road use only) header with 2.5" collector, Carsound 2.5" high flow catalytic converter, Greddy SP2 catback exhaust. Other than an air intake, there are no other engine modifications on the 1994 OBD1 GSR b18c1 engine.

I was worried going into inspection bc the day I went they popped every car's hood and I thought that they might say something about the header or the engine itself (This was at the Lakewood MVC, for reference). I was wrong; it passed the visual inspection, did not fail the decible test, and nothing was said about the JDM header or the larger-than-factory displacement DOHC VTEC engine.

I failed however for an extremely high NOx content (about twice the legal threshold). I went back 45 days later to the Eatontown inspection station and the only work I did was install 2 new exhaust gaskets bc I found leaks. I went back and the car passed with flying colors!

I figured I'd write this bc it may save a few people $80 or so for buying stickers or taking cars to gas stations that charge for inspection. Good luck!