Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to swaps, please assist...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to swaps, please assist...

OK so I have $3000 sitting in my account ready for a swap. I may try to attempt the swap with some friends and a good H-T faq, or have a shop do it for a copius amount of money. Before all that starts though, I have some questions. Some may not be Hybrid based, but the majority of you have a broad knowledge and I dont want to start several threads in different forums proving my noob-ness. I have searched and read much but still have a few questions seeking answers. ok...

I have 96 civic ex coupe, for the record. Looking at the b18c1.

1. my current motor is stock, havnt worked on it due to saving for the b18. are there any additional parts i will need with the hmotosonline 'complete changeover' swap. ive seen things like water pump, seals, hoses and belts mentioned. on top of this, what about intake? i assume my current air box wont fit the b18. and my stock exhaust, will that be compatible?

2. when you have done swaps and you have a new motor with a diff redline, how does that read on your old cluster? ive seen people swap clusters...but not too much mentioned on this. does the ecu figure it out and i will just have to remember the new limits of this more powerful motor when watching rpm's?

3. this isnt related to swaps. ive been reading up on exhausts on here. i continually see people mention exhausts for turbo's. if i buy a new catback for my b18, then boost down the road, will i need to buy another? i hadnt heard of this prior to reading further into it..

4. what transmission is best to hook up with the b18c1. ive read that from a b16 with lsd? any1 bought from hmo and know if they will switch trannys out in the 'package'?

5. when i do get an exhaust...i like the look of the apexi n1 and hks hipower. but i hear they are hella loud. not too keen on that. any1 running either of these on the gsr and it not ear-bleeding? if not, then ill probably opt for the ex-mag.

i cant think of any more right now. i know these questions are simple, and im sure will receive some **** for them, but i want to make sure everything is kosher before i go ahead with this. reading over my lack of knowledge, a shop should probably do the swap.
appreciate your help in advance