Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New RDX swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RDX swap

anyone in the process or considering swapping in the new RDX turbo motor, not sure what the engine code is im assuming it is a version of the k24. just curious
Old 08-22-2006, 03:43 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i suspect its a ways off sicne they jsut hit the dealers in the past month. It is going to offer some very uniquie challenges as well, read the SCC issue that covcers it.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:02 PM

Default Re: (v4lu3s)

yah ill have to check that out. I suspect the motor will have great success among the honda tuners, think of the other cars that come factory boosted, the 2jz supras, rx-7, and DSM's
Old 08-22-2006, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (grannyEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by grannyEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yah ill have to check that out. I suspect the motor will have great success among the honda tuners, think of the other cars that come factory boosted, the 2jz supras, rx-7, and DSM's</TD></TR></TABLE>
you have a good point, but your comparing sport cars to an suv...

what about some other factory turbo suv's that have done well???
only thing i can think of is the posche cayenne.. if its even turbo.. im not positive... but then again, either way it would be hard to compare that to honda just because of the price difference....

as far as doing well with tuners... who knows.... im sure someone will put it in something... (im hoping the rsx tranny fits)
Old 08-22-2006, 10:25 PM

Default Re: (hondaZvic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaZvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
you have a good point, but your comparing sport cars to an suv...

what about some other factory turbo suv's that have done well???
only thing i can think of is the posche cayenne.. if its even turbo.. im not positive... but then again, either way it would be hard to compare that to honda just because of the price difference....

as far as doing well with tuners... who knows.... im sure someone will put it in something... (im hoping the rsx tranny fits)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes the Porsche cayenne does come in a turbo model. My allroad is a suv in a way and its got a twin turbo setup. With a whole lot of turbo lag i may add. Slow right off the line but it gets moving at about 3000 rpm's

Another suv with a turbo is a new mazda cx-7
Old 08-23-2006, 07:43 AM

Default Re: New RDX swap (grannyEK)

Here are some fact on the RDX k23 engine taken from SC magazine

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1- VTEC operates on the intake camshaft in the turbocharged engine, as compared to the k24a2 in which vtec operates on both camshafts
2- vtec operates with two lobes, meaning that one valve has the ability to switch between high and low cam profiles, as opposed to the three-lobe system on the k24a2 and k20z3, which allows both valves to switch cam profile simultaneously
3- a long reach 26.5mm spark plug is used in the k23a1 compared with the 20.5mm plugs in the k24a2. this allows the water jacket to be larger and hold more coolant
4- the exhaust manifold is made from aluminium, and like the turbocharger itself, is actually water-cooled
5- the turbo engine will incorporate VTC (variable timing control) on the intake cam
6- the k23 uses substantially different engine mounts than does the k24 or k20, incorporating a different style torque-absorbing "dog-bone" type mount on the passenger side
7- the colder spark plugs are slightly narrower than those found on other K-series engines, down to 12mm from 14mm. This is to aid in cooling
8- despite being turbocharged, the engine retains some of the rev-happiness that Honda motors are known for; redline is 6800 RPM</TD></TR></TABLE>

So it wont be direct in any previous k serie engine bay !

Plus check the height of that intercooler

Old 08-23-2006, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New RDX swap (teg xsi)

-that turbo looks really small.
-with all the points on cooling or extra cooling.. it seems this motor will last as long as the other NA ones are known for.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:39 PM

you must have mis-understood me. I was comparing the engine capabilities of the dsm's supras and such and not the SUV body. I meant to say how this engine may have the same tuning ablities of the other factory turboed motors.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u think this engine may be capable of putting down 700hp to the wheels like a supra motor?
i dont think so.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaZvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u think this engine may be capable of putting down 700hp to the wheels like a supra motor?
i dont think so.</TD></TR></TABLE>

don't be so doubtful. the name the K series put already, and now factory turboed? psh..

Old 08-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (poison)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">don't be so doubtful. the name the K series put already, and now factory turboed? psh..

</TD></TR></TABLE>
yo B!!!
whattup...

the K does have a good name. i just think comparing it to a surpa motor is still a little far fetched...
Old 08-24-2006, 06:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaZvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
yo B!!!
whattup...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

y0!!

the K does have a good name. i just think comparing it to a surpa motor is still a little far fetched...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, definitely far fetched. but it's possible. the 2JZ is a great motor. the only good thing K has going for it is the weight, features and mostly technology. the 2JZ is just another regular I-6.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (poison)

what im wondering is if this block will be able to be mated with a different head, and someone will make a custom turbo kit for it and the stock block will take a fair amount of boost so that people can run some of these new k motors with a fair amount of power from stock internals.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:26 PM

ur still not gettin it lol. Im in no way saying this motor can be compared to the straight six of the 2jz, all im saying is that other companies with factory boosted engines have done very well in the aftermarket tuning. Im just sayin this may open up new doors, the engineers at honda would not put a turbo on a motor that wasn't specifically designed to run boost u know
Old 08-25-2006, 07:03 AM

Point taken...... If you count a forester as a suv the xt is a turbo.... actually has a sti block and a wrx turbo w/ wrx ic powering it.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:42 PM
GDD Lonely Krew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaZvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u think this engine may be capable of putting down 700hp to the wheels like a supra motor?
i dont think so.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes actually they can. there are plenty of people putting down over 400whp with completely stock k series motors turbocharged. you tell me when you saw a b series do that. now add all the pretty little forged bits into the motor and youll surpass 700 with ease (this is all relative of course).

to answer some of the other questions here

It can have the head swapped for the "better" vtec system but it seems as though that would require a completely new turbo setup.

oh and you dont need this block to make big power on stock internals. any crv, accord, or even tsx block can handle hp figures well into the 400's and ive even seen as high as 600. it is quite bit stronger than the b series so dont use the same limitations when talking about it.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (the_unknown)

i really dont think any serious tuners will get too heavily involved with this engine, being that the head is basically b/s, the exhaust manifold is cast to it, and turbo is, although highly advanced variable "vane" style, is really small/low power. in my own opinion, i think the only real thing worth swapping would be the forged internal bottom, but i guess we will see
Old 08-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by grannyEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ur still not gettin it </TD></TR></TABLE>
ah.. but i do get it. im more or less just giving u a hard time

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by grannyEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Im in no way saying this motor can be compared to the straight six of the 2jz, </TD></TR></TABLE>
as well, it shouldnt be.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by grannyEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">all im saying is that other companies with factory boosted engines have done very well in the aftermarket tuning.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
agreed

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by grannyEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im just sayin this may open up new doors, the engineers at honda would not put a turbo on a motor that wasn't specifically designed to run boost u know </TD></TR></TABLE>
agreed x2

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the_unknown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes actually they can. there are plenty of people putting down over 400whp with completely stock k series motors turbocharged. you tell me when you saw a b series do that. now add all the pretty little forged bits into the motor and youll surpass 700 with ease (this is all relative of course).

oh and you dont need this block to make big power on stock internals. any crv, accord, or even tsx block can handle hp figures well into the 400's and ive even seen as high as 600. it is quite bit stronger than the b series so dont use the same limitations when talking about it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
who said anything about a B series?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by whiteef8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> but i guess we will see </TD></TR></TABLE>
indeed we will
Old 08-28-2006, 02:28 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i thnk it would be easier to put forged internals into an accrod k24, turbo it and make more power for less hassle.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

yes but maybe what ppl will be able to do is just slap on a dif. head, make a custom turbo kit for it and voila, make 400-500 hp or something.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondaboy4life)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v4lu3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i thnk it would be easier to put forged internals into an accrod k24, turbo it and make more power for less hassle.

</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaboy4life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes but maybe what ppl will be able to do is just slap on a dif. head, make a custom turbo kit for it and voila, make 400-500 hp or something.</TD></TR></TABLE>

in the long run, i really think the more wise decision would be to use a k24/frakenstein setup, rather than buying this smaller expensive motor,and rebuilding it. It would be a very pimp stock for stock swap none the less
Old 09-03-2006, 11:41 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v4lu3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i thnk it would be easier to put forged internals into an accrod k24, turbo it and make more power for less hassle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

preach !
Old 09-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just wait and see i know there is so many serious honda ***** out there that can wait to see what can be done with this new motor ...with honda anything is possible represent....vtack
Old 04-14-2008, 09:28 PM

as far as doing well with tuners... who knows.... im sure someone will put it in something... (im hoping the rsx tranny fits)</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you saying that a k23 might fit a rsx tranny?

what about a k20 motor into a rdx tranny?

=]
Old 04-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rdx shortblocks doesnt bolt onto a k20 trans..

Quick Reply: New RDX swap