Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hybrid Driving Technique

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hybrid Driving Technique

My sister has a very interesting driving technique-- she steps on the gas for a few seconds (3-5s) and then completely lets off the gas for a few seconds (3-5s). She never uses steady pressure... ever. So basically, the car is ALWAYS either accelerating or decelerating. It is highly annoying if you are the passenger, but interestingly enough she gets about 46 MPG in her 06 HCH - which is very good for Chicago given our extreme weather and terrible traffic patterns. I am very careful with my 06 HAH and use the trip computer to guide how I drive. I try to not accelerate too quickly, and I am very steady. I get about 30-32 MPG in Chicago. The other day, she borrowed my HAH, and I was VERY surprised to see that she returned it to me with better mileage that I had. She used it for local trips, and I am sure used her usual always accelerating or decelerating. It is not really "pulse and glide" -- she does the "pulse" but there is no glide. Also, her variation in speed is small - maybe 5-8 miles per hour as opposed to the typical 10+ of "pulse and glide." Does this make sense to anyone? Why wouldn't her constant stepping on the gas ruin the mileage? Any ideas?

Old 09-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New Hybrid Driving Technique (nicokpe)

What do u mean when u say HAH and HCH, also are each of these cars manual or automatic?
Old 09-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New Hybrid Driving Technique (nicokpe)

my guess is your car is a hybrid (gas/ electric), if so you might want to know this forum is all about "hybrid" gas engines swapped into different vehicles as oposed to the true hybrid (gas/ electric).

all i can say is driving technique(which dictates gas milage) is more that just acceleration, theres braking, speeds traveled, accesories used, shifting patterns any many other factors.