Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Honda Engine Building... B18b1 Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:44 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Honda Engine Building... B18b1 Need advice

Hello Honda-tech.
So I’m Just another Ford Nut that’s Trying get familiar with all different types of motors... Many of my Friends and their friends have messed raced tuned and played around with Honda/Acura for Many years now... I’ve always been into my Mustangs... and Never really cared for Honda...
Couple years ago I got interested in them, since my Mustang becoming A lot closer to being alive and Beastly... I want a new project… I decide I wanted to do a 4 cylinder project... Now I debated back in fourth between a Ford 2.3l turbo project and Honda 4 cyl project… Since I’ve already tackled the ford svo motors a few times... I felt like Honda be the Best choice...
This Last year I Decide get off my *** and go back to school (automotive and computer science) I’m now in my second semester and Taking Automatic Transmission, Brakes, and Engine machining.. And Since I’m taking the engine machining class and can do pretty much anything I want to the motor. I figured this Best time to do so. My buddy just sold his integra had a engine block laying around he wanted gone.. the word Free for entire complete engine block was good enough for me..

I’ve Been doing lot of reading researching and... From what I remember threw the street races. Car meets and gatherings with different Honda techs... Ls vtec was the most popular thing I can remember hearing about beside a b20 swap...

Now I’m v8 guy so we all know gas mileage is out the question… I don’t care if gets me 8mpg... as long it puts smile on my face.
So I’ve Been running this back fourth threw my head... What do me want do… b18 b block with witch head, is everything interchangeable like it seems… Remember I’m taking an engine machining class so anything can be done…
Okay now say I Did b18b block with b16 head could I run b20 cams and b20 crankshaft with b20 connecting rods or is this not possible?
Is there any other useful resources. Researched key terms to look up... honestly know nothing about Hondas so I’m stepping into a world I’m not sure about... not knowing the lanugo.
Also I don’t own a Honda or Acura for this Motor to go into once built… I will probably end up going to junkyard buying a shell or buying one off craigslist. Once the motors built. To try it out...
Any helpful Information Facts, or Knowledge you’d like pass onto. Be greatly appreciated
-Ylw95Stang-
Old 02-04-2014, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to Honda Engine Building... B18b1 Need advice

start with the FAQ at the top of this section. Good details there. as far as what is interchangeable with what, it's pretty much limited to head and block swaps. swapping the internals between isn't much worth it. might as well just do a b18 stroked with forged rods and pistons. Throw a B16 head on it with some Skunk2 cams and you're done. Oh and sleeve it for the hell of it.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to Honda Engine Building... B18b1 Need advice

What's your budget on the build. Labor is free I'm assuming since you'll be at school doing but parts wise?