Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New on the h-t with a recovered EM1... h2b ready but got many questions..

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New on the h-t with a recovered EM1... h2b ready but got many questions..

Hello guys, its been three months and I finally finished recovering my Em1.

( https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=1 )

I'm planning on doing the h2b (right after i register and smogged the car of course...) Now I have just bought the motors, yes motorS its not a typo, an h22a obd1 and an h23a dohc vtec obd2. Why i bought 2 motors..... I dont know, I was drunk at the time I ordered or something..... The fat bill on the credit cards will teach me a good lesson... I also ordered the QSD adapter kit the same day too... damn haha. Anyways, here are some pictures so it don't get boring.

jdm h22a

jdm h23a doch vtec

Now, my questions. (I'm fairly new so please take it easy, I'm trying to learn, searching helps but doesn't hit the g-spot).

A. Should i use the h23avtec or the h22a? By the way I'm using my b16 trans.

1. What's the difference between the h23avtec vs the h22a other thank the crank? For example, can i just go to the dealer and buy h22 timing belts, water pumps etc. I just don't want to swap in the h23a and find out I gotta go to japan to get all the basic stuffs.....

2. Can I convert the h23a V auto tensioner to a manual one? which parts will i need if i can?

3. Will I have to pound the fraimrail if I use the h23a because the crank pulley is a single pulley? I ordered the explicitspeed LOWER alt h-series bracket.

4. Should I use the d-series alt or the h-series? Someone told me that if I use the d-series, I better get the 88-91 d-series because there are some problems with the OTHER year d-alt (I don;t know the problems so I hope you guys can clearify...

5. Also I DO NOT want to take off my balancer shaft, will that affect ANYTHING at all concerning the h2b swap?

6. Thats it for now I will ask more later Thanks
Old 04-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New on the h-t with a recovered EM1... h2b ready but got many questions.. (dohcem1)

Sorrie if its been covered b4?
Old 04-30-2008, 06:53 AM
King of the One Liners

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New on the h-t with a recovered EM1... h2b ready but got many questions.. (dohcem1)

there are 1000 posts covering your questions and any you may have that come up.

there is also a H2B FAQ thread permanently stuck at the top of this forum i would sugguest you read through it . .

1. use the h23, why wouldnt you? more displacement, more hp

2. Im pretty sure the crank and pulley may be the only difference but all the basic stuff should all be the same. you wont have to go to japan to buy parts buddy, you just may have to get creative on where you get them

3. Yes you can convert it to manual tensioner which i highly suggest you do. Go to the PRELUDE forum. there is a FAQ in that forum as well. There is a highly detailed h23 manual tensioner conversion thread that lists all the parts you will need and how to do it.

4. The single pulley is exactly what you need but i believe you will still have to pound the framerail a little for the balance shaft gear with the qsd kit

5. the kit says to use a 89-91 d series alternator. I used my 92-95 d series alt and just had to use different spacers. works fine for me

6.My balance shaft belt was on for almost 6 months, didnt affect anything on my car
Old 05-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New on the h-t with a recovered EM1... h2b ready but got many questions.. (2fastGSR)

Thanks for the replies!
Now can I ask one more question: h22a vs jdm h23a vtec off the accord. Whats the difference besides crankshaft? Which parts are NOT interchangeable between the two motor. If theres a link that answer my questions PLEASE link me. I can't find much info about the jdm h23a vtec off the accord wagon at all (there are ALOT about the h23a vtec conversion which i dont think is the same) thanks
Old 05-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would like to wlecome you to the blue top world lovin the f20b. well just do the maunal convesion and use the h22 belt it will be fine. pretty much remember the guys at honda are preaty lazy and all the stuff is the same. externally you should be fine using h22 parts. but IMO you should have went with the EVO kit and alt relocator i closed my hood without even cutting the webbing. about the install i removed the balence shafts (kiezen kit easy) and every thing seemed like any other swap except every thing you touch will need to be modified in one way or another (die grinder).

have fun be safe and use jack stands

P.S. i tought myself how to do all this stuff. and every thing i needed i found using search on H-T (IM )
Old 05-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: (sicc22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sicc22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would like to wlecome you to the blue top world lovin the f20b. well just do the maunal convesion and use the h22 belt it will be fine. pretty much remember the guys at honda are preaty lazy and all the stuff is the same. externally you should be fine using h22 parts. but IMO you should have went with the EVO kit and alt relocator i closed my hood without even cutting the webbing. about the install i removed the balence shafts (kiezen kit easy) and every thing seemed like any other swap except every thing you touch will need to be modified in one way or another (die grinder).

have fun be safe and use jack stands

P.S. i tought myself how to do all this stuff. and every thing i needed i found using search on H-T (IM )</TD></TR></TABLE>

read or GTFO